Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 01:08 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
The idea that parenting is the most important factor in determining the success of children is obvious. The idea that good parenting is the largest factor in children not using drugs is a fact. The observation that a few well-raised children will perish from drugs due to the vagaries of human composition is not an argument to the contrary. The fact that a few ill-raised children succeed magnificently is not an argument to the contrary. Most well-raised children do not do drugs and do not abuse alcohol. A FEW do. There is weakness in some humans that even good parenting cannot overcome. But that is rare.

My argument is we need to return to the model that worked well: 2 parents, 1 stay-at-home, no day care, full time love and attention. Kids who get that WILL not become drug addicts, except in very rare circumstances. Again, no anecdotes please. We are talking bell curves and general trends.
says the guy who probably has never raised children and wouldn't DARE to spout your nonsense to your clients. you're a keyboard bully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 06:43 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
says the guy who probably has never raised children and wouldn't DARE to spout your nonsense to your clients. you're a keyboard bully.

No no no. Stay on topic, no personal attacks.

And in case you hadn't noticed, we are leaving the era when progressive social engineering types can use the term "bullying" to browbeat and eliminate the free speech rights of others. We are returning to common sense, where people can once again observe the truth and state it, even if someone's "feeeeeeelings, are "hurt". We are not completely there yet, but if the election of Donald Trump illustrates anything at all, it is that people are sick of political correctness and its lies and evasions and deceptions. Let's check our "feeelings" at the door, we need to solve problems. Externalizing our defects hasn't worked.

The heroin addiction crisis is a direct result of failing to observe reality and causality. It all started when we decided, based on emotionalism, to relabel being a drunk. Instead, we invented "alcoholism" and arbitrarily converted a character defect into a "disease". That started us down the long convoluted path of evading reality, and it continued with the harder drugs. So now you have this monster: drug addiction. The inconvenient truth is that being a drunk or a stoner is a personal choice and a personal weakness. It is only after you recognize that reality that you can solve the problem. Instead we make it a "disease" and what do we recommend to treat it? More evasion such as the rank mysticism of AA and NA 12 step programs and the like. Which demand that you abandon "control" of your life and turn it over to some new delusion. Like that is going to work...

Old 12-10-2016, 07:04 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I'm sorry for both you and PDD and apologize on behalf the absolute lack of sympathy from Banger. That's a cruel dude for sure. Wishing your children peace.
Thanks, tahiti.

She is doing well. There are always cold, judgmental people around. That's their own "disease" that they choose to feed.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
No no no. Stay on topic, no personal attacks.

And in case you hadn't noticed, we are leaving the era when progressive social engineering types can use the term "bullying" to browbeat and eliminate the free speech rights of others. We are returning to common sense, where people can once again observe the truth and state it, even if someone's "feeeeeeelings, are "hurt". We are not completely there yet, but if the election of Donald Trump illustrates anything at all, it is that people are sick of political correctness and its lies and evasions and deceptions. Let's check our "feeelings" at the door, we need to solve problems. Externalizing our defects hasn't worked.

The heroin addiction crisis is a direct result of failing to observe reality and causality. It all started when we decided, based on emotionalism, to relabel being a drunk. Instead, we invented "alcoholism" and arbitrarily converted a character defect into a "disease". That started us down the long convoluted path of evading reality, and it continued with the harder drugs. So now you have this monster: drug addiction. The inconvenient truth is that being a drunk or a stoner is a personal choice and a personal weakness. It is only after you recognize that reality that you can solve the problem. Instead we make it a "disease" and what do we recommend to treat it? More evasion such as the rank mysticism of AA and NA 12 step programs and the like. Which demand that you abandon "control" of your life and turn it over to some new delusion. Like that is going to work...
Whether you like anecdotes or not, there's a young man in the next room over to me right now who is three years clean of a heroin addiction, which he attributes solely to his "higher power". He was homeless, was in jail, and now he is an employed, functioning member of society who helps other addicts because of his spiritual outlook. Worked for him.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:26 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Whether you like anecdotes or not, there's a young man in the next room over to me right now who is three years clean of a heroin addiction, which he attributes solely to his "higher power". He was homeless, was in jail, and now he is an employed, functioning member of society who helps other addicts because of his spiritual outlook. Worked for him.
If trading delusions keeps him from committing crimes and victimizing others, that's an improvement. Still bad, but an improvement. A further improvement would be to fully embrace reality, and accept the reality that control of his life lies within him, not without. Absent that, relapse is always just around the corner.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:30 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My oldest friend, from my undergraduate days, is now in his 17th year of sobriety, thanks to AA. At one point, his employer sent him for inpatient "drying out", but he relapsed to his serious alcohol problems a few weeks after being released from that facility. Subsequently, the AA program worked for him, and if dropping-in for a brief daily "meeting" at the AA center is what keeps him on the straight and narrow path, I think that is small price to pay for his freedom from a 35 year alcohol addiction problem.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
If trading delusions keeps him from committing crimes and victimizing others, that's an improvement. Still bad, but an improvement. A further improvement would be to fully embrace reality, and accept the reality that control of his life lies within him, not without. Absent that, relapse is always just around the corner.
Perhaps, but I lean toward listening to the people who have actually lived an experience over someone whose judgment is based solely on his opinion of how other people should think and feel and act, but who has very little exposure to the world outside his own.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
My oldest friend, from my undergraduate days, is now in his 17th year of sobriety, thanks to AA. At one point, his employer sent him for inpatient "drying out", but he relapsed to his serious alcohol problems a few weeks after being released from that facility. Subsequently, the AA program worked for him, and if dropping-in for a brief daily "meeting" at the AA center is what keeps him on the straight and narrow path, I think that is small price to pay for his freedom from a 35 year alcohol addiction problem.
I hope his sobriety continues. I know people who have stayed clean and sober with a 12-step program and people who have stayed clean and sober without a 12-step program. There's no magic answer that fits all.

Old 12-10-2016, 01:18 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Nobody gets high when they are young so they can became addicts. They believe just as you do, they can quit anytime they want.
They should know better since variations of "drugs are bad" has been shoved down Americans' throats since the war on drugs began. Often health class curriculums in middle and high school include discussing drugs and their dangers and effects. I clearly remember a lot of stupid kids, though, not taking it seriously and joking about it. That's also a choice. Then there was (is?) DARE which many generally think was unsuccessful however I remember DARE and I think it scared me off ever trying drugs. I also have really great parents.

Who the hell doesn't know that drugs like heroin, even cigarettes and alcohol which are far more socially acceptable, are addictive?? Aside from getting hooked from legal prescription use, taking these hard drugs is still a choice when people KNOW the risks. Choosing to feel invincible and acting like it can't happen to you is not an excuse.

The only drug addicts I really feel bad for are those whose addiction started thanks to a prescription. Anything else is a choice, and there's no real way around facing that fact. But even with these prescriptions, it's now pretty widespread and known that they can lead to addiction. People need to be extremely careful with these pills. IMHO they shouldn't even be prescribed unless they are absolutely necessary. They are probably overprescribed at the moment.

The worst thing we can do in some cases of hard drug addictions is try to place blame elsewhere or somehow excuse the addict. Bottom line, taking drugs that very first time is often a choice and people know the risks. It's hard to have sympathy when people are stupid and are willing to play with their lives like that.

Old 12-10-2016, 01:59 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
They should know better since variations of "drugs are bad" has been shoved down Americans' throats since the war on drugs began. Often health class curriculums in middle and high school include discussing drugs and their dangers and effects. I clearly remember a lot of stupid kids, though, not taking it seriously and joking about it. That's also a choice. Then there was (is?) DARE which many generally think was unsuccessful however I remember DARE and I think it scared me off ever trying drugs. I also have really great parents.

Who the hell doesn't know that drugs like heroin, even cigarettes and alcohol which are far more socially acceptable, are addictive?? Aside from getting hooked from legal prescription use, taking these hard drugs is still a choice when people KNOW the risks. Choosing to feel invincible and acting like it can't happen to you is not an excuse.

But it won't happen to me!

The only drug addicts I really feel bad for are those whose addiction started thanks to a prescription. Anything else is a choice, and there's no real way around facing that fact. But even with these prescriptions, it's now pretty widespread and known that they can lead to addiction. People need to be extremely careful with these pills. IMHO they shouldn't even be prescribed unless they are absolutely necessary. They are probably overprescribed at the moment.

The worst thing we can do in some cases of hard drug addictions is try to place blame elsewhere or somehow excuse the addict. Bottom line, taking drugs that very first time is often a choice and people know the risks. It's hard to have sympathy when people are stupid and are willing to play with their lives like that.
How many kids go to dare classes, etc.and say it won't happen to them? I can quit anytime, I just do it on weekends, etc, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey