U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 12:06 AM

81 posts, read 179,012 times

Advertisements

I received a weird message from my sister asking me for my email address (which I recently changed) so that her daughter, my niece, can send me an email asking if I will be attending my niece's wedding. She's sending these emails to everybody. Then, the only people who will be sent invitations are the people who respond via email to say they plan to come.

Is this the latest thing in weddings now? Seems odd to me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 08:47 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,935,149 times
Seems like a very weird way to try and keep costs down for wedding invitations. Also, your sister might not know everything about the situation or have gotten some things wrong.

So, are you going? Who are you wearing?!

Old 12-08-2016, 01:15 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,605,027 times
That seems like an awful lot of work to manage, with little reward. I mean, if you email 100 people and only 75 respond to say they are coming, how much money are you really saving by sending 75 invitations instead of 100? And a lot of people don't even read email anymore. What if someone who wanted to come to the wedding didn't get the email or forgets to respond?

Old 12-08-2016, 01:45 PM

324 posts, read 486,060 times
That is odd. If she really wants to save money, skip the invitations altogether and just use Evite or something. Then at least she'll know who saw it.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:10 PM

6,774 posts, read 17,297,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyStrong1 View Post
That is odd. If she really wants to save money, skip the invitations altogether and just use Evite or something. Then at least she'll know who saw it.
Or just get envelopes with cheap glue.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:12 PM

2,390 posts, read 1,578,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
or just get envelopes with cheap glue.
r.i.p.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:32 PM

52 posts, read 58,161 times
I don't think it is weird at all. As someone who is planning one right now, I think it's more useful because #1 delivery is faster and #2 cheaper #3 easier to track and manage.

I see invitations as a "we expect you to come, and we can cover you if you do."

If you send out 100 paper invitations, people may not respond to you until months later. With an email invitation you can keep sending reminders until people say either yes or no.

Then again, my Fiancee says they are kitsch so we aren't doing them.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:41 PM

30,737 posts, read 34,756,760 times
i like it. i dont think its about saving invitation money, its about ensuring that people she invites will show. its a shame to have to leave some people out due to space limitations only to find out that enough people couldnt make it that they could have been included. so now either they dont go our you send out late invitations to a 2nd tier group thus making it clear that they are a 2nd tier group.

its very old person of you to be so shocked by it. i remember my wedding and later events i threw for my mother and all her friends who love to pick apart and judge everything that everyone does.

Old 12-08-2016, 03:46 PM

1,519 posts, read 3,854,720 times
Default Times Sure Are Changing!

Like CaptainNJ, I like it. It shows a conscientiousness on the part of the planners that is all too often lacking nowadays. But I think you've missed the biggest reason.

OP did not say this is about saving money. Jaymoney merely introduced it as a possible reason, but many respondents have accepted that as a given. Not necessarily so.

Ansky rightly asks how many people even read their email anymore. Don't stop there! Regarding Millennials, how few read their US Mail?

My kids may grab the snail-mail out of their boxes once or twice a month... and then there's no assurance it'll be read. In the 21st Century, snail-mail is about as relative for their generation as a telephone party line is for Boomers. They're both archaic methods of communication!

Want to make certain you'll not get timely responses from Millennials? Then use snail-mail! The best bet to get timely responses may be with a facebook event page or better yet... tweet, tweet!

Old 12-08-2016, 03:47 PM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 16,221,695 times
Does everything have to be done via computer? What's next, you take your smart phone into the bathroom and when you're done you click on WMA and that's it?

Young people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: