Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 11:37 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanJ View Post
Does anyone want to live in Mexico? Somalia? No? Guess what happens when we lose western civilizations. (Hint: it sucks!)

So Mexico is no different than England? Vietnam no different than France? Why are IQs different by race?

And will you move to Mexico: Yes or no?

Wake up people.
Wake up what people?

(Amazing what a comma can do.)

Old 12-11-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
I live and work with people from all over the world. They bring their culture to the US and meld it in to ours making the US the greatest country in the world. Immigrants have been coming here forever and bigots like you have been making the same false arguments.

My Irish protestant grandmother was like you and thought allowing Irish catholic immigration would be the countries downfall. She was wrong and so are you.
Hahaha, my Dutch protestant grandfather was betching about the fact that "they" had built a Catholic church in my hometown when I was a kid. "They" being the Italian/Irish/Polish during the 1960s white flight out of the Bronx.

Unfortunately, his legacy lives on in some of my cousins still living in that town.

Old 12-11-2016, 12:25 PM

32,915 posts, read 36,310,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
I live and work with people from all over the world. They bring their culture to the US and meld it in to ours making the US the greatest country in the world. Immigrants have been coming here forever and bigots like you have been making the same false arguments.

My Irish protestant grandmother was like you and thought allowing Irish catholic immigration would be the countries downfall. She was wrong and so are you.
Heaven forbid! Saints preserve us. My great grandparents were among those Irish Catholic immigrants. Once they'd been here for a while, they were allowed to complain about the more recent group.

Old 12-11-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Heaven forbid! Saints preserve us. My great grandparents were among those Irish Catholic immigrants. Once they'd been here for a while, they were allowed to complain about the more recent group.
Funny how that works!

Old 12-11-2016, 12:50 PM

32,915 posts, read 36,310,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
Great post.

I love how people assume white people left just due to racism. The customs and cultures were replaced with things they didn't agree with. I see this all the time with for example Indians. They drive apartment rates up by living with more people than legally are allowed to live in the unit. No one reports them, because it's better to make more money. Just as I see with many immigrants not wanting to learn English and expecting people to accommodate them. Honestly, this will stop when we become like other countries and don't allow immigrants, even ones who becomes citizens, to own properties and businesses.
My husband's great-grandmother spoke very little English even after living here for decades. Since the native language was spoken at home, her children only began to learn it when they entered the school system. They were Italian, Sicilian, so they were regarded as a group of stupid, uneducated, swarthy people who smelled of garlic. They weren't considered white.

Old 12-11-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My husband's great-grandmother spoke very little English even after living here for decades. Since the native language was spoken at home, her children only began to learn it when they entered the school system. They were Italian, Sicilian, so they were regarded as a group of stupid, uneducated, swarthy people who smelled of garlic. They weren't considered white.
Yes, my Dad, who was born in 1921 and took pains to NOT be prejudiced and taught us not to be, found himself caught up in that old mindset once. I was talking about how around 1980 the word "pasta" suddenly entered the general American lexicon and then there were restaurants serving pasta dinners and what had previously been something you ate when you were broke became trendy and expensive.

Dad said, "Yes, that's right. White people only ever called it spaghetti or macaroni". I said, "Uh...white people, Dad?" He started laughing at himself and said "That's a throwback. When I was a kid, Italians weren't thought of as white people--they lived in the 'Italian-and-Negro' section in Paterson. The two groups were lumped together." He was a bit chagrined at his own slip, but it was interesting to hear from a sociological standpoint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey