Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2016, 05:24 PM

165 posts, read 122,188 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I'm a single guy looking to buy a condo. I found one near Bridgewater that I liked but since it's at the top end of my budget, I want to know what I'd be getting into in terms of utility costs so I can avoid the sticker shock when I get my first utility bill. Also may be putting in an offer in the next few days.

Some info on the condo
-It's on the second of two floors.
-750 square feet
-gas heat and stove
-Central air conditioning
-2 bedrooms

So my questions are, for that area, what would the average summer gas and electric bills cost? Average winter cost? Water/sewer cost?

Just a bit on my lifestyle (I know these threads usually have posts saying it depends on personality). I have no problem shutting off lights when not using them. Planning on using LED bulbs. I like the temperature at 69-71

I think I hit everything. Any other questions I'd be happy to answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 09:28 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,747,435 times
This really depends on many factors including temp you keep it at, how good or badly insulated the place is, etc. Just call PSEG. they should tell you want the bills average for the previous owner. Thats going to be the closest you can get for an estimate.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:27 AM

165 posts, read 122,188 times
Thanks for the reply pinky! I was just looking for a ballpark estimate at this stage from people who have lived in similar sized apartments/condos. I get that there are a lot of variables and I know my personal habits like temperature, how often lights are on and yada yada yada. I think I should give PSEG a call regardless. Even then, their gas bill may be high or low but they could be in the condo more or less than I will, or they cook gourmet meals whereas I may eat Ramen, so even then I feel it won't be accurate, lol. I'm not sure what power company Bridgewater uses though. Anyone know? Or is that also PSEG?

Old 12-10-2016, 09:53 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,747,435 times
It depends on location. I would ask the seller. they will tell you and may also tell you what the utilities cost. But just call pseg and give them the address and tell them you want to know about how much they are paying per month. If they are a customer they will tell you. i have done this many times.

But yea, for example, i had a 750sqft apt where PSEG was like $400 a month during mid winter or summer. And the building across from me, same size people were paying like $800 on average apparently. All due to the why the buiilding was. So whatever number i tell you will not be relevant for you. Try to get them to tell show you old bills or the name of their utility company and the company will give you the best estimate.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:55 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I have 940 s.f. my electric in the summer rarely goes over $100 a month, but I got a new, energy-efficient ac compressor after I moved in. Just paid the gas bill. Was $45 for November, but it hasn't been too cold. Maybe 80 in Jan or Feb.

First floor. 1 story condo on a slab with only an attic above. Built in 1985.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 12-10-2016 at 11:27 AM..

Old 12-10-2016, 11:46 PM

256 posts, read 398,335 times
I can't tell you what you're going to pay, but I think that for the most part, you're going to pay a lot less than if you lived in a house that was twice as big. It's one of the benefits of living in a smaller home.

Enjoy.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:39 PM

633 posts, read 581,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianBeaky View Post
Hi all. I'm a single guy looking to buy a condo. I found one near Bridgewater that I liked but since it's at the top end of my budget, I want to know what I'd be getting into in terms of utility costs so I can avoid the sticker shock when I get my first utility bill. Also may be putting in an offer in the next few days.

Some info on the condo
-It's on the second of two floors.
-750 square feet
-gas heat and stove
-Central air conditioning
-2 bedrooms

So my questions are, for that area, what would the average summer gas and electric bills cost? Average winter cost? Water/sewer cost?

Just a bit on my lifestyle (I know these threads usually have posts saying it depends on personality). I have no problem shutting off lights when not using them. Planning on using LED bulbs. I like the temperature at 69-71

I think I hit everything. Any other questions I'd be happy to answer.
Depends on a few things.

How much are you home? when I was single I was gone 12 hours a day and a lot of weekends.

Also is it an end unit and do you have folks above and below you or beside you.

I have a condo rental and the end units have three sides exposed and an unheated attic above. The unit that is wedged in middle with heated units on each side has no view and a bit darker but heat is less.

Now if you are in a high rise it gets really cheap. I had a 900 square foot apt with the hallways heated, heat above, heat below, and on the sides I usually had heat off around 90% of time.

Central air if new on such a small place is peanuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey