Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 03:11 AM

25 posts, read 17,760 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am considering moving to SP. We have a house in mind bordering Fanwood. My questions:
What is traffic like on Westfield Road ( peak and off peak)?
The house is also near an elementary school ( I guess being near both schools can be good and bad)
Can you tell me what you consider the negatives?
Is that area safe for children to walk/ ride bikes?
What age would you allow your child to ride their bike to town?
How does SPFW HS compare to the highly rated technical schools?
How tough is it to get accepted to one of them?
Thank you in advance for any feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 05:50 AM

26 posts, read 32,203 times
I live in the area. Westfield road gets busy during peak hours. It's not completely bumper to bumper stopped but it's a major artery through town. It's not bad during off peak.

For bike riding, it would depend on sidewalks and width of the street and traffic on the street. I wouldnt let my kids ride on Westfield Rd. Ultimately it's a decision for you as the parent once you become familiar with the neighborhood. My road is wider than usual so I have no issues but I still keep an eye on my kids because people speed. I try to keep them on the sidewalks (my kids are younger too).

SPFHS is a very good school but it's not on the same level of Union County Tech., not much is. It's one of the best schools in the country. I have no idea on admissions, my kids aren't at that age yet.

I've lived here for about 4 years and love it. Great schools and neighbors, conveniently located, safe community.

Last edited by Emmet Fitz-Hume; 12-11-2016 at 05:51 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 12-11-2016, 07:23 AM

Thank you Emmet. Just trying to get a feel. I haven't had a chance to go by during peak hours.
I've spoken with one neighbor and they had really nice things to say about the area. As with any large purchase/ new environment you hope you make the right decision. We went to the Xmas tree lightning in town and everyone was so friendly and down to earth. I also love the diversity SP offers.
Not sure if it's a sour subject, but any idea if the downtime area will be upgraded anytime soon? I assume taxes will only go higher if / when that ever occurs. I know it might be some time to go etc. just trying to anticipate any surprises ($$) in the near future.
Thanks again for your input !

Old 12-11-2016, 07:58 AM

I'm not really sure about SP downtown. I live in Fanwood and there has been a huge push last few years to upgrade our downtown. In the 4 years I've been here, taxes have remained pretty constant but have gone up about $100-$200. SP downtown has been pretty stable with Darby Road and Stage House being major restaurants and then lots of other stable smaller businesses.

Based upon your post, I'm assuming you're looking near Brunner. I'm not totally familiar with that area as I'm closer to the Fanwood train station but I've been through there often and it's always been nice/safe. It's really hard to go wrong around here with the exception of a few areas (that's not one of them). Even our iffy areas aren't too bad, just not preferred. Occasionally we'll get some property crimes or similar from transients passing through but it's definitely not the norm. I walk around downtown scotch plains and downtown fanwood often and always feel safe.

It's a great community. We moved from NYC and love it here.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:18 AM

That's reassuring. Thank you ! i grew up in NYC and feel a bit out of my element.
I'm sure things will work out and look forward to meeting new friends.
Thanks again

Old 12-12-2016, 01:55 PM

389 posts, read 664,234 times
We moved from Brooklyn to that area 3 years ago (near St Barts, Park Middle and SPFHS)-- LOVED the area. Westfield Rd is a busy road, but the streets off it are (for the most part) pretty serene.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:38 AM

Thank you Sirk98. Do you have children? Any idea if the raritan line will ever go direct ( peak hours)

changed my UN

Old 12-13-2016, 05:15 PM

They've been pushing for more direct service. The off-peak direct is relatively new and the goal is full time direct but it's dependent on NJT switching from diesel to electric trains or something. I'd love for it to happen but I wouldn't plan on it any time soon.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:48 AM

Too bad. it would make the commute sooo much easier.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:21 AM

389 posts, read 664,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCYASOON View Post
Thank you Sirk98. Do you have children? ...
I do. They are not in school yet, but the quality of the schools is what brought me to SP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey