Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2016, 01:48 PM

2 posts, read 1,612 times

Advertisements

I'm a 26 y/o male, moving from NC to work in Jersey City. I'm looking for places around Jersey City so I can commute easily by public transit and also get into NYC from time to time.

I've been looking a little and found 3 places so far, one near the Bergen/Lafayette area, one in Journal Square and one in the Heights.

Does anyone have strong feelings or thoughts about these areas?? I'm just looking for somewhere relatively quiet and safe. I've been to a bunch of cities and like walking around, so I can handle some sketchiness but I'm also not trying to get robbed or anything.

I'll also have a car so are these areas alright for street parking?

On a final note, I also saw a nice place in Elizabeth but I'm unsure about commuting there via public transit. Is public transit from Elizabeth to JC do-able?

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 02:54 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
I have never heard "Bergen-Lafayette" uttered in the same sentence as the word "safe" unless "safe" was preceded by "not".
Journal Square is definitely a step-up from B-L, but it is still a bit sketchy in some parts of the neighborhood.
Of the three neighborhoods that you mentioned, The Heights is the best--by far.

However, you might want to consider Bayonne. While it is far from exciting, it is just a bit further from NYC, while being just one town south of Jersey City. And, Bayonne--overall--is definitely safer than Jersey City.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:18 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
1. B-L is not safe. Don't do it.
2. JSQ is safer. Grimey, not pretty, but not dangerous. Having a PATH station is a huge asset.
3. Heights feels more like a neighborhood. Stay close to Riverview Park. Buses to downtown JC and NYC, and walkable to light rail.

Street parking sucks in all three neighborhoods. If you live and work in JC, and want to spend your spare time in NYC, why do you need a car at all? Life is happier without one.

Elizabeth is no good, and the commute is longer, of course. You'll take NJT to Newark Penn and change to PATH there. During rush hour the transfer at Newark is easy. If you work late or commute during off-hours, you'll spend a lot more time sitting around Newark Penn Station waiting for trains.

Bayonne is a good suggestion, as is Weehawken/West New York along Blvd East.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:16 AM

516 posts, read 1,005,731 times
26 year old male--want an easy commute and save money--Journal Square is the place.

Street parking is do-able if you drive often... not if you are a weekend driver due to the horrible money grab that is street cleaning 4 times a week. Rented spots are around 150 a month.

You can get decent 1bd's around 1200, or ****tier 1-2bd's for around 900. If you want a more luxurious experience, then maybe 1600-1800 for a 1bd? It's half the price of downtown.

If you want to keep your car and still have a good commute, you can go one stop out to Harrison. But don't do B-L or Elizabeth...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey