Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 11:46 AM
b75

950 posts, read 3,463,407 times

Advertisements

Who said anything about the Constitution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Apvguy is right. There are no provisions in the Constitution specifically intended to provide government funded education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 11:58 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b75 View Post
I guess you did @@ You could do a google search yourself if you are that curious - Heck there is even a radical anti - public education website that quotes founding fathers as being in favor of accessible public education.
you posted it, now back it up!

Old 02-28-2008, 12:09 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,808,379 times
This test is useless, imo. I have a 4th grader, straight A student, who comes in slightly above average on these tests. So, what does that tell me? FWIW, some of the teachers in our school told me they "teach to the test."

Old 02-28-2008, 12:15 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
This test is useless, imo. I have a 4th grader, straight A student, who comes in slightly above average on these tests. So, what does that tell me? FWIW, some of the teachers in our school told me they "teach to the test."
and on the other end of the spectrum, i have a son who receives special help, and comes out advanced (or did in 3rd grade at least). and it's a shame that special needs students have to take the test and it's held against the school if they don't make the grade.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
it could tell you that your school hands out A's too easily

Old 02-28-2008, 12:19 PM

230 posts, read 666,739 times
Quote:

I totally agree. My son is in 4th grade as well and is an A/B student. While attending the 2nd grade in another school district he had to take the Terra Nova Exam and ranked "extremely high" in the district, grade, and nationally but when he took the NJ Ask last year in 3rd, he did just average. I do realize that they are both different tests and measure different skills however I was very surprised to see such a large difference in test results. Both his teacher from last year and this year have both commented that they "have to" teach for the NJ Ask, as it's scores have a large reflection on their performance as teachers. I know they didn't personally agree with so much emphasis on that one exam, and preferred to spend more time teaching the basics which they will remember for life...not just short term comprehension which they will purge once given the exam. I am torn on this matter and have had many heated discussions with friends on how best to "test" student knowledge, teacher skill, and good schools and have never come out with an exact best answer.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:27 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,808,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
it could tell you that your school hands out A's too easily
Well, when a child receives no lower than a 95 on any test, has perfect homework and attendance, I would say they deserve an A.

tahiti, you're right. your son is probably very smart anyway

Bottom line is the test really doesn't prove a whole lot.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:37 PM
b75

I'm not wasting my time barraging you with a bunch of links...If you are truly interesting in this you'll look it up yourself; I gave you the methodology. If you are looking to get into a meta-debate with me well I didn't post this to engage in a back/forth regarding something this rudimentary. If you really are not aware that our founding fathers advocated for accessible public education, then too much time would need to be spent breaking it down. I have a hard time believing that you are that naive though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
you posted it, now back it up!

Old 02-28-2008, 12:40 PM
b75

I remember those tests! Even the kids that were practically failing our class scored well on those. I remember in being very young in elementary school & taking my results home & saying see according to this I'm supposed to be like a senior in high school!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
speaking of going off topic, do you remember the CAT (California Achievement Test)? or did you catholic school kids not have to take it?

Old 02-28-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b75 View Post
I'm not wasting my time barraging you with a bunch of links...If you are truly interesting in this you'll look it up yourself; I gave you the methodology. If you are looking to get into a meta-debate with me well I didn't post this to engage in a back/forth regarding something this rudimentary. If you really are not aware that our founding fathers advocated for accessible public education, then too much time would need to be spent breaking it down. I have a hard time believing that you are that naive though.
I know how to google, you made a statement I challenged you to back your statement up by posting a source of your info, obviously you cannot provide any sources, the reason you cannot provide even one source is because it is an asinine statement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey