Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 08:25 PM

178 posts, read 230,416 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I currently work in Midtown next to Grand Central and my family and I are possibly thinking about moving to NJ. However I looked at NJ transit midtown direct lines and it seems during the morning Rush Hour Newark Penn Station has the most frequent and quickest times into the city. I like this during the morning rush hour as I can catch trains within the 8 am time and reach New York Penn before 8:45am, which most resembles the times of NYC MTA.

What area/city/ town is there where one could drive/ be driven to Newark Penn Station during morning rush hour for 10 or less minutes if at all possible. I'm looking for quickest and easiest areas to start a possible search for a home. It would be a single family house/townhouse. Just an area is fine and i'll start my search for a home given the neighborhoods/city/town.

Hopefully i didn't leave anything out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 08:45 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Haha sorry to break it to you, but you're not getting to Newark Penn from anywhere in 10 minutes at rush hour.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:01 PM

Okay so i assume driving into NY Penn is like driving in Midtown NY during Rush Hour. What about trains or buses which are frequent into NY Penn Station? I also saw that Journal Square has a direct Path train to 33rd street. Is Journal Square also very busy to commute to during Rush hour so that i may hope on the Path.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:46 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Journal Square (downtown Jersey City) is the central hub of the PATH (Port Authority Trans Hudson) system; from there, you can take a PATH train to either an uptown (33d street -- Penn Station) or downtown (WTC) connection in Manhattan. All New Jersey Transit services connect with PATH at either Newark (Penn Station) or Hoboken (former Erie-Lackawanna). You would have absolutely no reason to use a private auto.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:29 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,830 times
Why are towns with midtown direct train service not being considered by you? Do you really need frequency greater than 2-3x per hour during peak service?

Also, since Grand Central is not easy to get to from Penn, you could also consider bus options to PABT and then the easier shuttle train to Grand Central.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:21 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
You need to pin down what you want based on more than just transportation. If you really want to be near Newark Penn there's plenty of houses near the light rail in Newark, but it's a good bet these aren't what you're looking for. Same goes for Journal Square. So you should answer the questions from the sticky thread

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...residents.html

BTW, the station that's the most drivable with the most frequent and quickest times into the city is Secaucus Junction. Parking there, though, is very expensive.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Why are towns with midtown direct train service not being considered by you? Do you really need frequency greater than 2-3x per hour during peak service?

Also, since Grand Central is not easy to get to from Penn, you could also consider bus options to PABT and then the easier shuttle train to Grand Central.
I'm form NYC so I not used to having only 2 or 3 trains an hour. That would be an adjustment for me. So I'm basically looking at what could be the best way or closest travel that can replicate the provided service that MTA NYC trains have.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:52 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,830 times
There's what you're "used to"... and then there's what you "need". Seeking a replication of something is hard.

A <10 minute drive in rush hour to Newark Penn Station basically puts you in... Newark. If you look at the ironbound section of the city, that would be your option. Otherwise, an adjustment will be needed.

Old 12-27-2016, 12:44 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,965,307 times
I used to work for a few years next to Grand Central. If commuting from NJ to Grand Central (i.e., the EAST side of Manhattan, and farther uptown than NY Penn/33rd St.), count on tacking on an extra 20-30 minutes to your commute than the people that work in and around the WEST side of Manhattan down by the 30s.

In my opinion, you should consider the PATH train.

Look into the Newark-to-WTC PATH train. I'd drive to the Harrison PATH station instead of Newark Penn. It's quicker and less traffic to drive into Harrison which is not a mega hub like Newark. A 30-minute drive to the station is much more realistic and reasonable (if you are looking to move to a proper suburb).

The PATH train from Harrison to WTC is 20 minutes. From the WTC, take a 2-minute walk to the Fulton St. 4/5 station and take the 4 Express to Grand Central (another 20 minutes total at most...that's counting the walk to the Fulton St. station, plus having to wait for the 2nd train to pull up to the platform because the 1st one was too jam packed for even Olive Oyl to push & shove her way on).

I personally prefer the PATH to NJ Transit because the PATH is a lot more flexible, fast, reliable and much more frequent (not to mention 24/7). During rush hour the PATH runs every 4-5 minutes, similar to the subway.

Old 12-27-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Journal Square (downtown Jersey City) is the central hub of the PATH (Port Authority Trans Hudson) system; from there, you can take a PATH train to either an uptown (33d street -- Penn Station) or downtown (WTC) connection in Manhattan. All New Jersey Transit services connect with PATH at either Newark (Penn Station) or Hoboken (former Erie-Lackawanna). You would have absolutely no reason to use a private auto.

Would you happen to know how spot on NJ Transit is for service during the morning Rush hour in the 7:30 to 8:00am time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey