Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 03:26 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,868,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Overall though, I believe people should make their houses work for them and to heck with this whole concept of resale values.
Yes and no. Bathroom renos are expensive and take time, you want them to result in a gain for what you put in them. You're not spending hours in this room, it's main purpose is to spend about fifteen minutes in it a day and be done, but it takes 20-30K. If you do something weird you're spending the money to result in it making it harder for you to sell your house.

Let's say you don't like to cook, so you chop your kitchen in half and remove the stove. You have every right to do it, you just have to take the financial loss in the end when you need to ask for 20 grand less when it's time to sell because the next owner expects a stove.

Take away your front steps, plant a forest of trees in your front yard, take away the bathroom and put in an outhouse, you certainly can do all of these things, and if you feel like it works for you I'll even come lend a hand. You're allowed to do whatever you want, you're just going to likely take a financial hit for it when the time comes. This person was just gauging the waters to see if anyone else would be interested in a house without a tub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 03:47 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Yes and no. Bathroom renos are expensive and take time, you want them to result in a gain for what you put in them. You're not spending hours in this room, it's main purpose is to spend about fifteen minutes in it a day and be done, but it takes 20-30K. If you do something weird you're spending the money to result in it making it harder for you to sell your house.

Let's say you don't like to cook, so you chop your kitchen in half and remove the stove. You have every right to do it, you just have to take the financial loss in the end when you need to ask for 20 grand less when it's time to sell because the next owner expects a stove.

Take away your front steps, plant a forest of trees in your front yard, take away the bathroom and put in an outhouse, you certainly can do all of these things, and if you feel like it works for you I'll even come lend a hand. You're allowed to do whatever you want, you're just going to likely take a financial hit for it when the time comes. This person was just gauging the waters to see if anyone else would be interested in a house without a tub.

+1 to everything that you stated.
Last year, an old friend of mine decided that it was finally time to re-do his low-rent kitchen. I gave him helpful info on the best dishwashers to buy, but because he prefers to hand-wash his dishes in cold water ( Don't ask!), he decided to put a blank panel in the kitchen cabinetry, in place of the old, broken dishwasher that was being removed.

I pointed out to him that few--if any--people at this point in time would be interested in buying a condo sans dishwasher, and his answer was...When I get ready to sell, I will install a dishwasher. Even when I pointed out to him that his approach would inevitably be more expensive than simply buying a decent dishwasher and having it installed at the same time as the new cabinets, he rejected that approach.

Some people just seem to blunder into the least logical, and--inevitably--most expensive ways of doing things, and attempting to reason with them is frequently pointless.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:52 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Across from the toilet is a door to the bedroom. Theres literally no where for storage. ETA: my uncle had a cabinet blocking the bedroom door but you couldnt sit on the toilet without hitting your knees.

walk in to left is sink, toilet, tub. on opposite wall is door and laundry chute. You can touch all 4 walls standing in the middle of the room.
Our claw foot tub and wall hung sink was on the left. Toilet on the right across from the sink. That was a pretty tight space for adults. Mom eventually pot up a shower rod, two curtains. Little kids still got a bath.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:10 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmet Fitz-Hume View Post
I agree with your wife. A house needs 1 tub for small kids.
I have heard this many times. I don't agree with it but it appears to be near universally true.

Do people really fill up the tub for the toddlers every night instead of popping them in the shower?

Old 12-19-2016, 05:27 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Our claw foot tub and wall hung sink was on the left. Toilet on the right across from the sink. That was a pretty tight space for adults. Mom eventually pot up a shower rod, two curtains. Little kids still got a bath.
I do have a shower curtain since i have a DIY shower now but no one takes a bath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I have heard this many times. I don't agree with it but it appears to be near universally true.

Do people really fill up the tub for the toddlers every night instead of popping them in the shower?
I guess people do but we always brought them in with us.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:49 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post

I'm not saying not to research and then own your decision at the end of the day. Absolutely.

I just see a lot of people remodeling with the idea of always thinking about resale value, resale value, resale value. And not as much thought to how they actually live and what brings them joy. Which is fine if you are planning to sell in the near future.

But long term, if you want something (or not) I believe one should go with it. The way people rip out everything every ten years means that by the time you sell it, it will probably be out of date again

This goes for lesser things too, even paint colors etc.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:12 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Your house not only needs a tub for kids (I find it hard to believe that you shower infants), it needs a nice soaking tub for the mom. Many women de-stress by having a nice long soak in the tub; some even consider the bathroom w/tub their sanctuary. I would put in at least a slightly deeper-than-standard tub, or a clawfoot tub. These can be a bit selling point.

In my observation, remodels these days tend to have one big shower in one bathroom, with a tub in another. It's hard to go wrong with providing buyers with variety, instead of showers only. I would never buy or rent a place that had no tub. Home appraisers I've spoken to say that a tub adds value to the home, while the complete absence of a tub subtracts value.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:57 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

No, you fill it part way for two kids.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:21 PM

560 posts, read 540,116 times
i would not buy a house without a bathtub somewhere in the house. I have two small kids (5 and 3 years old) and cannot imagine life without a tub! they're boys and get really dirty from the constant rough/tumbling outside almost daily, not to mention hot sticky summers too.

we have three bathrooms; our master bathroom which had the horrible shower/tub combo original in 80's when we bought this house 9 years ago. We've renovated it into a big rainforest type of shower with frameless shower doors, heated tile floor etc. Our hallway bathroom which is the boys bathroom was just renovated with deeper than standard tub (for me to soak some nights!) and i easily fill the tub halfway to toss and wash both boys in same time. It's actually good we have a tub somewhere upstairs since my youngest HATES the shower, so life would be hard without a tub in our home. Lastly, we have a half bathroom with just toilet, sink and shower in basement. Not used much right now, but will come in very useful when boys are older.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:18 PM

800 posts, read 1,297,360 times
outside of a handful of baths for each of my kids in their first month of life (i used the sink tubs), they have had exactly 3 baths in our tub in 2 years, mainly because they wanted to play. i have always showered both my kids, holding them while they couldnt stand/sit and now they both love to sit and stand under the showerhead. i cant imagine having to fill the tub each night, even half way. i am in and out with my kids in as little as a few minutes.

that said, looks like tub it is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: