Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 03:42 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,726,331 times

Advertisements

gf and i currently live in NY

within the next year or two we want to migrate towards central NJ/jersey shore area

my gf wants to teach either K or first grade

she currently has her undergrad from Montclair, a Masters from a school in NY, and about 6 years of experience with stellar reviews and an excellent portfolio of work

i am sure she's going to still have a difficult time as last i heard the state of teaching in general, and esp. in NJ, is poor but on the positive side she has a great job here in NY currently so she has a bit of leisure

my questions:

1. she currently makes ~$85K - we are in a super high COL area so i am sure this number is inflated, but she wouldn't be comfortable taking a massive hit

2. what is the best approach in searching? i am thinking to start sending resumes directly to the districts in which she's interested

3. any other advice?

thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 04:34 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,461,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
gf and i currently live in NY

within the next year or two we want to migrate towards central NJ/jersey shore area

my gf wants to teach either K or first grade

she currently has her undergrad from Montclair, a Masters from a school in NY, and about 6 years of experience with stellar reviews and an excellent portfolio of work

i am sure she's going to still have a difficult time as last i heard the state of teaching in general, and esp. in NJ, is poor but on the positive side she has a great job here in NY currently so she has a bit of leisure

my questions:

1. she currently makes ~$85K - we are in a super high COL area so i am sure this number is inflated, but she wouldn't be comfortable taking a massive hit

2. what is the best approach in searching? i am thinking to start sending resumes directly to the districts in which she's interested

3. any other advice?

thank you!
Answers:

1. 85K WITH SIX YEARS' EXPERIENCE?!? TEACHING?!? That sounds pretty darn high, even for high COL areas and advanced degrees. Are you on Long Island or in Westchester County? Those areas do tend to pay a bit better than Northern NJ, but 85K sounds pretty high for those stats even in those areas. Salaries are going to be less down by the shore. If she has just a master's degree, I'd guess she'd be looking at salaries in the 60K - 65K range. Maybe 70K - 75K on an MA +30 scale, and those are best case scenarios.

2. Apply everywhere. Teaching in NJ is brutally competitive, and grade K - 1 jobs are among the most difficult to get.

3. Tell her don't do it. Tell her to go to law school. Become a race car driver. Join the circus as a clown. It's miserable and getting worse by the day.

Old 12-21-2016, 04:49 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,131,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
Answers:

1. 85K WITH SIX YEARS' EXPERIENCE?!? TEACHING?!? That sounds pretty darn high, even for high COL areas and advanced degrees. Are you on Long Island or in Westchester County? Those areas do tend to pay a bit better than Northern NJ, but 85K sounds pretty high for those stats even in those areas. Salaries are going to be less down by the shore. If she has just a master's degree, I'd guess she'd be looking at salaries in the 60K - 65K range. Maybe 70K - 75K on an MA +30 scale, and those are best case scenarios.

2. Apply everywhere. Teaching in NJ is brutally competitive, and grade K - 1 jobs are among the most difficult to get.

3. Tell her don't do it. Tell her to go to law school. Become a race car driver. Join the circus as a clown. It's miserable and getting worse by the day.

Not a teacher, but know a few. If you have to ask (as you're doing in this post), you won't get a job. I had a coworker who was a former teacher. She told me she gave it up, because she was getting passed over for people with connections.

Old 12-21-2016, 04:59 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
Not a teacher, but know a few. If you have to ask (as you're doing in this post), you won't get a job. I had a coworker who was a former teacher. She told me she gave it up, because she was getting passed over for people with connections.
+1
If you have the misfortune to be employed in a district like Woodbridge Township, the only qualifications that will be considered are whether you are aligned with the...correct...political factions, and/or whether you are providing...favors...to the Superintendent of Schools, and/or members of the elected Board of Ed.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:32 AM

527 posts, read 1,408,659 times
First, with a MA, to start you are looking at about low 70'sK. A K-1 teacher could make a little less

But you may be getting ahead of yourself.
Is your friend certified in NJ? or qualifies for Reciprocity

Does your friend have any cert's ? especially Spec Ed?
that helps, big time
As many cert's as possible is a good thing.

She has to bring something extra to the table. She will be competing with entry level college grads for a job, who get paid less. Experience is a plus, if she will accept less pay than what she is use to.

Depending on school district, should have tech skills, know PowerPoint, electronic blackboard
Be able to do a class using PowerPoint presentation. Good PC skills
Find out what software district she applies to is using and become expert in it. (Big plus, be able to hit ground running)

A real possibility is she will have to sub in several districts. Districts use subs as a sort of trial and see what you got.
Same time you can watch from inside what jobs might be coming down the pipe.
In that vein, depending on district, find out if they use electronic sub software and learn it. Like E-sub, some sub's have alerts on their phone and as soon as a job comes up, they grab it in seconds. But, some districts still use the "Call you in the morning" method.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:44 AM

527 posts, read 1,408,659 times
Also, all school district salaries are public record in NJ.
There are several web sites where you can find out the salary of anyone in the district.
and their level, training.
That way you can get an idea what the district is paying who,

Districts will not know what their hiring needs will be until June/July
So you have to send out resumes Jan -April, to get on the pile
Maybe some interviews May/June, to get some good candidates for "potential openings"
2nd interviews / Hiring, July/Aug

Old 12-22-2016, 09:10 AM

565 posts, read 722,532 times
She'll be making less than 85k in shore towns in NJ. The low 60's probably for her base salary. Of course, if she starts taking on extra curricular activities/clubs/extra tutoring programs/lunch duty/sports coaching, etc she can make her salary higher.

As long as gf is aggressive seeking out jobs online, filling out the online paperwork and emailing resumes directly to principals, she should find something.

Old 12-22-2016, 03:51 PM

some excellent advice in here. thank you so much.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:57 PM

hey all, bumping this thread. we're going to be looking for the 2019 school year.

just to gauge what 2018 will be like i checked a bunch of district websites and saw literally nothing; not a good sign unless my timing is off.

does it make sense to "cold mail" resumes directly to principals?

thanks!

Old 04-12-2017, 03:05 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
does it make sense to "cold mail" resumes directly to principals?
No it doesn't.
While a principal will be involved in the interview process after an applicant clears the first hurdle with the folks in Central Administration, the entire process must begin at the Central Administration level. If she is to do any "cold mail" resume forwarding, it should be directed to either the Superintendent of Schools, or the Assistant Superintendent for Personnel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey