Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2016, 12:14 PM

3 posts, read 1,516 times

Advertisements

Where are you coming from?
--Northeastern Pa, currently living in the Poconos.

Why are you moving?
--I am graduating from school and will be relocating for work.

Where will you be working?
-- I will be working in Rockleigh, NJ

Will you buy or rent?
--Definetly looking to rent!

What is your budget ?
--We are currently playing 950$ a month for 900sq ft where we currently live.
Our combined income will be around 105k, would like to keep the rent between 1600-1800 for a similar amount of space. I am a bit unfamiliar with the area and don't know what housing prices look like.

What kind of place are you looking for ?
--Apartment or whatever we can find. We don't need a ton of space, similar space to what we have now with a separated office.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ?
--Yes my girlfriend will be living with me.

Do you need/want good public schools?
--No schools, have plans for 0 kids in our future.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc)
-- We love the townie life. Both my girlfriend and I enjoy community activities. We also enjoy walking, running and biking around our town. We don't really go out to bars to socialize, but nice restaurants are a plus. Mostly something that is walkable, don't mind driving to pickup groceries though.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute
-- Short Commute
-- Downtown area
-- Urban(not suburban)

A bit about us. Early thirties couple that has lived in the Poconos most of our adult lives. We definitely enjoy being close to everything and prefer driving as little as possible. My GF is more flexible with locations since she works retail and there are CVS chains all over. I would prefer the shortest commute possible, 20 minutes or less would be ideal. I scoped out the area and I know walking is totally out of the question.
Any hep with areas to start looking into would be great! I did some searching and Tenafly seems interesting, but again I am totally unfamiliar with pricing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 12:25 PM

728 posts, read 1,966,645 times
Rockleigh is basically away from anything urban. For you to have a short commute and get somewhat what your looking for look around Ramsey. They have a downtown and rents are probably within your budget. Ridgewood would be ideal but I am not sure if you will get the type of apt you want for your price range.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykstevenyg View Post
Rockleigh is basically away from anything urban. For you to have a short commute and get somewhat what your looking for look around Ramsey. They have a downtown and rents are probably within your budget. Ridgewood would be ideal but I am not sure if you will get the type of apt you want for your price range.
Do you happen to know what kind of rents we should be expecting? Just want to gauge my expectations correctly and work on budgeting. I kind of figured a 20 minute commute would be difficult with where my job is located. I just wanted to keep it as short as possible since driving is so soul sucking.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:57 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,500,648 times
You guys might like Hoboken. That seems to be a good starting point for young people looking for urban. Easy PATH ride to the city on the weekends. Stuff to do. Won't be a 20 min commute though and not sure on the budget

Near Rockleigh, maybe Westwood. Small downtown, emphasis on small. But cute.

Old 12-26-2016, 02:49 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,260,481 times
Nyack ny is 10 minutes from rockleigh, has a large downtown and fairly low rent options.

Old 12-26-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Nyack ny is 10 minutes from rockleigh, has a large downtown and fairly low rent options.
Awesome! I will look into it. I actually stayed in Orangeburg before which I believe is close?
I didn't really think about looking into NY state, but it is super close. I will have to do a bit of research into the tax situation of living in NY bit working in NJ.

Old 12-27-2016, 05:42 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,774,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PelicanOfWar View Post
Awesome! I will look into it. I actually stayed in Orangeburg before which I believe is close?
I didn't really think about looking into NY state, but it is super close. I will have to do a bit of research into the tax situation of living in NY bit working in NJ.
Nyack is a good suggestion. Pearl River and Suffern in NY are also options if Nyack is not in the budget

Northern Bergen is pretty much all typical suburbs.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:34 PM

728 posts, read 1,966,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykstevenyg View Post
I would think it would be within your budget not sure on specifics. I agree with the other posters pearl river and Nyack may be a good fit. Both have a good bar scene and have a train to NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey