Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 12:21 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
whatever personal issues you may have.
I'm pretty sure we aren't the ones with a personal issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 12:26 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I'm pretty sure we aren't the ones with a personal issue.
That's funny. People that have no issues usually don't post in threads that they don't care about and certainly not multiple times like you and a few others have. Obviously you do have issues.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:27 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Please. Take your fear of authority/overregulation/big government somewhere else. I am not an activist looking to take away all your personal freedoms.

Asking for clean instead of smokey air so I can breathe easier is not tyranny/communist or whatever personal issues you may have.
its tyranny. democracy is tyranny of the masses and majority support for tyranny doesnt make it ok.

ive never had an issue with not being able to breath air outside from someone's fireplace burning some wood. your complaint doesnt sound legit.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:32 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its tyranny. democracy is tyranny of the masses and majority support for tyranny doesnt make it ok.

ive never had an issue with not being able to breath air outside from someone's fireplace burning some wood. your complaint doesnt sound legit.
That's right. Where you live there is no such problem so you have no understanding of someone who does have a problem with it. You are being tyrannical because you want to impose your view (that woodburning is not an issue) on someone else who does think it is an issue.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:34 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,639,406 times
This is one of those more amusing exchanges I've seen here in some time. ::grabs popcorn::

Old 12-29-2016, 01:32 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
I didn't know someone put you in charge of deciding what most people think and what I think.

I suppose you have a hotline for wood burning complaints and no one called except for me, right?

As for the dangers, I think I'll trust the professionals and scientists over some city-data poster, thank you.

Residential Wood Burning | American Lung Association

Wood-burning Stoves Could Be Harming Your Health | American Lung Association

Smoke from wood fireplaces, stoves raises new health concerns — Environmental Health News

Where There’s Smoke, There’s Sickness: Wood Smoke Now a Major Northwest Air Polluter | InvestigateWest

Wood-burning stoves 'can cause cancer and heart disease' | Daily Mail Online
Well, now you know. Keep it in mind for next time.

This country, and the world, is full of pollutants. I am not going to lose sleep over it. I sucked in so much god-knows-what on 9/11 that if I worried about it every day, I'd be sick just from anxiety. You live in NEW JERSEY, for God's sake, and it's WOOD SMOKE that worries you? REALLY?

Grow up and stop thinking of yourself as such a delicate little princess. Your chances of getting sick from wood smoke are very small. Your chances of stopping everyone from using fireplaces to accommodate you are even smaller. And as mentioned earlier, you have the choice to move somewhere warmer where it's not so common to have fireplaces or wood stoves.

Old 12-29-2016, 01:35 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
My wife and I LOVE using our fireplace in the winter. And we do it just for the enjoyment, not for heat.

I wouldn't buy a house without a fireplace.

I also like splitting the wood with a maul in the spring and summer. Something cathartic about it.

OP, you're the first person I've ever seen so hostile to it.

We have enough laws in NJ.
I'm with you.

Old 12-29-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I've seen this discussion in other areas of C-D. Some people don't like the smell of anything burning. One person complained about the smell of food being grilled in the neighbor's yard. They were using charcoal, too! The horror.
The only person I ever knew who really had a problem was an old neighbor of my parents' friends. We used to go to their house for barbecues when I was a kid. The Dutch lady next door was really nice and would come hang out with us until it was time to fire up the grill, then she would say goodbye and go into her house and keep the windows closed.

She had been in a concentration camp during the war for helping to hide Jews. When she was there, they rounded up a group of Jews one day, locked them in a barn, and set it afire. She could not bear the smell of meat cooking on a grill because it gave her flashbacks.

Old 12-29-2016, 01:38 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
This is one of those more amusing exchanges I've seen here in some time. ::grabs popcorn::

Oh to be a Mod right now!!!

Old 12-29-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
It is, isn't it? We're fun people here in New Jersey, on the whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: