Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 07:20 AM

65 posts, read 260,021 times

Advertisements

Hello All - I am a single 50-something female looking at a new position in Newark, NJ. This would be a 1,000 plus mile move for me and I am exploring locations from afar. If I want a really nice pet-friendly rental for a couple of years where should I look? I want someplace safe, close to transportation for work, walkable. I can probably tolerate a 45 minute commute. I don't have NYC bucks, so that's out. For me, location and lifestyle is very important with access to cultural events. My budget for a rental is around $2,000 per month. I lived in Hoboken many years ago and it looks like I am priced out of that market for anything close to the PATH. I am happy to ride NJ Transit, but not for hours each day. Suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 08:40 AM

862 posts, read 976,122 times
I guess you will be not driving into Newark? 45 minutes by bus/train? somewhere like a Hoboken but on a smaller scale? lots of artsy type people? maybe Montclair.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:10 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
One other consideration, is the job location accessible from the train station? You may not know that yet I presume. I also think many people drive into Newark presently too. I would look several towns out myself.
PM me if you have specifics, most of have have been in this area many decades.

Old 01-01-2017, 12:01 PM

381 posts, read 1,309,583 times
I'll just say that when we were wide open about towns to live, I really liked South Orange (which isnt far from Newark), but decided against it primarily because I didnt want my husband riding through East Orange on the train every day. He was 60ish, slow-moving and defenseless. Safety was a big concern.

We ended up in Rutherford, which Is on a different train line and also has buses. It's only 20 mins from Newark by car, but I dont think there's an easy commute by public transit. It's a very safe town but doesnt have much of a cultural life, other than a nice little theater company. I've made my peace with that but it was hard at first, after living in NYC for many years.

Old 01-01-2017, 12:55 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
One other consideration, is the job location accessible from the train station? You may not know that yet I presume. I also think many people drive into Newark presently too. I would look several towns out myself.
PM me if you have specifics, most of have have been in this area many decades.
Newark has 2 train stations. So depending on which station the job is closest to will help determine what train line you want to live on.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:07 PM

65 posts, read 260,021 times
It's at the Prudential Tower which looks to be in between Broad Street and Penn Station. I guess Broad Street would be the better station, but I really am not sure.

Thank you everyone for the replies BTW. This information is helpful.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:28 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
A decent town a few towns out where you can walk to the train station,,,one would be Rahway where you have it seems like $1200 and up for apts, I never looked before, also you have a local arts district etc,,,check around:
Apartments for Rent in Rahway, NJ - 78 Rentals

Also a brand new place just opening up : Luxury Apartments In Rahway NJ | Meridia Lafayette Village

Old 01-01-2017, 01:33 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninasimonejr View Post
I'll just say that when we were wide open about towns to live, I really liked South Orange (which isnt far from Newark), but decided against it primarily because I didnt want my husband riding through East Orange on the train every day. He was 60ish, slow-moving and defenseless. Safety was a big concern.
Wow. I've lived in South Orange for ten years and have never heard of an incident on the train. I'm sorry you're so afraid.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:45 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,487 times
I would check out Montclair, South orange or maplewood. All of them have lots to do for a single person and all have train stations and are also close enough that you can drive to Newark as well.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:55 AM

862 posts, read 976,122 times
I worked in Newark for a couple of years and drove, I did not like being out in "public" so I stayed in secure area's, I know there are some parts where there are a lot of business people so it would be ok to walk outside on a nice day but I was a little outside of that area.

nothing wrong with being scared of east orange or Newark, it's a scary for me and I am over 200 lb man in decent shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey