Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 05:39 PM

22,359 posts, read 11,886,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janxo View Post
Treetops Apartments - Highland Park, NJ 08904 | Apartments for Rent
Treetops apartments - about 2 miles from edison train station, community has a shuttle - it's not quite what she is looking for but her kids get to go to a good school district.
^^^^Thank you! She did say that having a w/d in unit was more important to her than having that extra bathroom. I will pass along the link to her and let her know that the schools are good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmitnaul View Post
I was going to suggest Edison, but see someone beat me to it.
What about Iselin, Woodbridge, or Piscataway? I think they have decent schools and rental options in these towns? Also, maybe too far out for some (but more convenient than Branchburg), but your daughter may find what she is looking for in North, South, or East Brunswick, and maybe Old Bridge.
^^^^What are your thoughts on Perth Amboy? She asked co-workers who live in NJ and they had positive things to say about it. The reason I ask is that there are apartments that meet all her criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 07:05 PM

7,054 posts, read 19,259,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
What are your thoughts on Perth Amboy? She asked co-workers who live in NJ and they had positive things to say about it. The reason I ask is that there are apartments that meet all her criteria.
It's been a few years since I've been there, but I can't imagine what positive things her coworkers could have said about Perth Amboy.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:41 AM

88,300 posts, read 84,311,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
^^^^Thank you! She did say that having a w/d in unit was more important to her than having that extra bathroom. I will pass along the link to her and let her know that the schools are good.

^^^^What are your thoughts on Perth Amboy? She asked co-workers who live in NJ and they had positive things to say about it. The reason I ask is that there are apartments that meet all her criteria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
It's been a few years since I've been there, but I can't imagine what positive things her coworkers could have said about Perth Amboy.
LOL, but it might be OK.

I was out to lunch with coworkers last year, and a guy who has always lived in New York was asking about the town on the NJ side of the Outerbridge Crossing. I said, "Oh, that is Perth Amboy, kind of a sad, rundown town."

Turns out the other person at lunch grew up in Perth Amboy and still goes to church there, and she was rather insulted. She said, "No, it's a middle-class town, with a nice, redeveloped waterfront." I had really only seen it from the highway, and you usually see the worst parts of a city that way, plus I took the train for many years and there was so much trash dumped down into the right-of-way from the high areas surrounding the tracks in Perth Amboy. I did not have a good impression for those reasons, so that's why I said what I said.

So, last weekend, I went to a bridal shower for that coworker's daughter at a very nice restaurant near the waterfront in Perth Amboy, and I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by the neighborhood. It's older homes, but most were well-kept and it looked clean and there were churches and stores and the waterfront area looks nice.

So...tell your daughter to check it out and see for herself.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:19 PM

Thanks, MQ! My daughter is planning to take a drive there. I will tell her what you said. The apartment complexes that I found during my search looked nice and well kept. Of course, we all know, that they may not look so nice in person.

A few years ago, I saw an episode of "House Hunters" where a couple was looking to buy a house in Perth Amboy. They ended up in an older, established community and bought a modest home.

Old 04-03-2017, 01:44 PM

I just wanted to post an update. She used Craigslist (thanks to those who suggested doing so) and found a house that met most of her criteria. She had to go over budget by $200. I had told her to prioritize what is the most important thing on her list of wants and needs. It appears that the washer and dryer was at the top. The house has a washer and dryer but one bathroom and no dishwasher. It's in Roselle Park.

Thank you to all who responded to this thread!

Old 04-03-2017, 01:57 PM

7,054 posts, read 19,259,333 times
Thanks for the update! I'm always curious where people who seek advice here end up, and we so rarely hear back.

Roselle Park will be a nice place for her. The commute will require a transfer to get to NYC, but it won't be too bad.
I've heard of a few people moving to Roselle Park and buying homes there while it's still affordable. There's not much to the town (in terms of restaurants, entertainment, etc.), but with new investment coming in, maybe some new restaurants will open up on Chestnut Ave over time. She'll also be very close to Cranford and Westfield, which have a lot of that stuff already. Congratulations to your daughter on finding a new place to live!

Old 04-03-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Thanks for the update! I'm always curious where people who seek advice here end up, and we so rarely hear back.

Roselle Park will be a nice place for her. The commute will require a transfer to get to NYC, but it won't be too bad.
I've heard of a few people moving to Roselle Park and buying homes there while it's still affordable. There's not much to the town (in terms of restaurants, entertainment, etc.), but with new investment coming in, maybe some new restaurants will open up on Chestnut Ave over time. She'll also be very close to Cranford and Westfield, which have a lot of that stuff already. Congratulations to your daughter on finding a new place to live!
Thank you! After she found the place in Roselle Park, I got curious and looked at what house prices were like. You are correct---it seems very affordable---especially for first time buyers. Who knows? Maybe at some point she might like to be a homeowner. Time will tell

Old 04-04-2017, 01:09 PM

88,300 posts, read 84,311,090 times
Glad she found something. I'm with her. A washer and dryer in the unit is worth so much more than a dishwasher.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:40 PM

560 posts, read 538,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Glad she found something. I'm with her. A washer and dryer in the unit is worth so much more than a dishwasher.
to that thousand times! i have two kids, so washer and dryer is definately more important to me with the amount of laundry we go through; always a load daily whereas i find we don't need to run our dishwasher every 2 days.

Old 04-04-2017, 03:08 PM

Thank you both! We're looking to downsize to a condo and having a w/d in the unit is very important to us. So we understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey