Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 07:46 AM

416 posts, read 1,713,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I think I found the way to fix the financial mess of this state. Fine people a thousand bucks instead of one hundred for talking on the cell while driving and presto no more deficit in about a month. Corzine are you listening another alternative to toll hikes.LOL
How about just getting rid of the majority of our laws and government employees? That would fix the financial problem. Let the state government go into business ventures and try to raise money that way, but if that doesn't pan out, allow modest taxation (low sales tax first) as a necessary evil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndb3 View Post
Holding a cell phone is definately more of a cause for accidents due to the fact that they are physically concentrating on another task. They are more worried about dropping their phones than hitting other motorists. It's not the act of talking, you can still have two hands on the wheel when your talking, but not if you're holding a phone. You can still turn your head and look for other motorists while talking and switching lanes.
Depends on the driver really. I routinely tell people in the car when I'm driving to stop talking for a few minutes because I need to pay attention to the road. Some passengers just go "blah blah blah blah" incessantly. I often like to just relax and listen to music, or even just have quiet. Hell, when I lived in South Florida, I even threatened to kick one person out of the car right in the middle of I-95 if she didn't shut up for a few minutes.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:52 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DessertRat View Post
Those studies would have to not understand the consensus scientific and philosophical concept of "causality" very well.
There was a great study done. It showed the difference between hands free and just chatting on your cell phone. It has been demonstrated that hands-free cell usage is much the same as talking to someone in your car. The difference?

Negligible.

Don't have the exact numbers or link handy, but it was 1800 and change casualties with cell phone usage, upper 1700's and change hands-free. In other words, the difference is attributed to statistical potential for error.

In other words, stupid people cause accidents, cell phones are irrelevant.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:57 AM
b75

950 posts, read 3,463,407 times
Yeah I'm against this law too. If someone is driving carelessly they can be pulled over & ticketed regardless of if it is due to putting on makeup, talking to the passenger, fiddling with their radio, yelling at their kids or talking on their cell phone. So the mechanism already exists legally to act if someone is being distracted in a manner that impedes their driving. It isn't really necessary to pick this specific behavior to create an additional law around, imo.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:03 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times
Does anyone know how to do the poll thing, maybe we can attach it to the top of the thread. Approve or disapprove of the new cell phone law. HELP ANYONE!

Old 02-29-2008, 08:08 AM

From what I can tell, you need to select "Yes, post a poll with this thread", under "Post a Poll", under "Additional Options" when you start a NEW thread. I can't see anywhere to add one once you've started the thread.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:13 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,937,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Well the newer cell phone law takes effect in 16 hours. JM
Another case of a self important legistature justifying it's existance by passing laws that prohibit the same actions prohibited by laws already in place. Unsafe driving is illegal, regardless of the cause. We don't need one law to tell us talking on the phone while driving is illegal, and another to tell us that wearing headphones while driving is illegal, and another to tell us that making a bologna sandich while driving is illegal. But the lawmakers need to make laws, else they have nothing to do with our money. Somehow they don't get that it would be simpler, easier, faster, & less expensive to enforse the laws we already have.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Another case of a self important legistature justifying it's existance by passing laws that prohibit the same actions prohibited by laws already in place. Unsafe driving is illegal, regardless of the cause. We don't need one law to tell us talking on the phone while driving is illegal, and another to tell us that wearing headphones while driving is illegal, and another to tell us that making a bologna sandich while driving is illegal. But the lawmakers need to make laws, else they have nothing to do with our money. Somehow they don't get that it would be simpler, easier, faster, & less expensive to enforse the laws we already have.
Well, and if we're going to have legislators, I'd like to see that they get paid the same when they do not work as such, and I'd like to see them get paid even more when they work on getting rid of laws rather than creating new ones.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:29 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,620,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
I watched a woman (talking on her cell) slam right into my parked car. So, I guess that sums up how I feel
I did too, I stood there and watchedas she gabbed on the cell and backed her car (which looked really nice) right into a cement block, she got out of her car with the phone glued to her ear examined the damage, got back inside and pulled away still gabbing away.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:14 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marye711 View Post
I did too, I stood there and watchedas she gabbed on the cell and backed her car (which looked really nice) right into a cement block, she got out of her car with the phone glued to her ear examined the damage, got back inside and pulled away still gabbing away.
So you've never seen this type of stupidity before, without a cell phone?

I have. I've been on countless scenes of accidents, and I don't blame the cell phones. Its the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey