Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 09:22 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times

Advertisements

It's arrogant legislature such as this that reaffirms my decision to leave NJ. It makes me feel somewhat melancholy, though, to see what I always thought of was such a great place to live fall so terribly, in terms of the way in which politicians continue to arrogantly meddle with legislature and regulations with impunity. But alas, circa 2008, I guess I am in the minority when I consider the only good actions by government are the REMOVAL of laws, not additions to existing ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 09:23 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
$1,000 ticket would make people comply?? It didn't work in Virginia, home of the $3,000 speeding ticket!!! I think most drivers ignore the law until they get smacked with a ticket themselves. THEN they think "Ouch, don't want to get one of those AGAIN."

And, btw, a $100 ticket ends up costing almost 1/2 of that 1,000. I got a $135 ticket in Newark for making an "improper" right turn on green, yes green. Anyway, once you add the court fees and the $250 STATE SURCHARGE ON MOVING VIOLATIONS, the total bill comes out to over $400!!

Old 02-29-2008, 09:26 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,928,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Another case of a self important legistature justifying it's existance by passing laws that prohibit the same actions prohibited by laws already in place. Unsafe driving is illegal, regardless of the cause. We don't need one law to tell us talking on the phone while driving is illegal, and another to tell us that wearing headphones while driving is illegal, and another to tell us that making a bologna sandich while driving is illegal. But the lawmakers need to make laws, else they have nothing to do with our money. Somehow they don't get that it would be simpler, easier, faster, & less expensive to enforse the laws we already have.
You joke-I was in the car with my aunt who actually made a salad while she was driving. She drives a stick, too. I never said so many Hail Mary's in my life!!

Old 02-29-2008, 09:31 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,620,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
So you've never seen this type of stupidity before, without a cell phone?

I have. I've been on countless scenes of accidents, and I don't blame the cell phones. Its the people.
Yes I have, but this particular scenario was due to the cell phone. I would bet anything if she wasn't on the phone she would have paid attention when she backed out. In fact, that particular parking lot is horrible anyone pulling in or out has to realize how narrow and cramped it is.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:33 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
my old boss used to work on his laptop while driving.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:35 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marye711 View Post
Yes I have, but this particular scenario was due to the cell phone. I would bet anything if she wasn't on the phone she would have paid attention when she backed out. In fact, that particular parking lot is horrible anyone pulling in or out has to realize how narrow and cramped it is.
Not me. I'd bet if it wasn't the cell phone, she would have been paying attention to something else. A passenger, a bowl of cereal, herself in the mirror, who knows.

They create their own mistakes.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:46 AM

222 posts, read 1,026,053 times
I'm petitioning this law as it violates my rights as a glasses-wearing person. ;-) My phone doesn't have speaker-phone and roughly 98% of hands-free devices clip onto your ear (where my glasses already are). I have yet to find one that I can use.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:49 AM

828 posts, read 3,138,455 times
Have you ever seen anyone drive while eating? And I do not mean trying to unwrap a Big Mac and sink their teeth into that floppy burger while special (?) sauce goes dribbling down their chin and onto their seatbelt.
I mean having a little feast while driving.
Some mozzarella, a little proscuitto, a little bit of bread, Italian Pastries...
Oh wait, that is me after I have just left Hoboken.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:58 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,607,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
my old boss used to work on his laptop while driving.
I was behind a Roxbury Cop once - stopped at the traffic light and he was playing "Free Cell" on his lap top! I didn't dare beep when the light turned green... Oh and one time driving down 295? A guy in a van was reading his bible..while doing 80 mph!

Old 02-29-2008, 04:24 PM

201 posts, read 441,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
I was behind a Roxbury Cop once - stopped at the traffic light and he was playing "Free Cell" on his lap top! I didn't dare beep when the light turned green... Oh and one time driving down 295? A guy in a van was reading his bible..while doing 80 mph!
Yes i wouldn't mess with the guy reading the Bible and driving. You never know. But i do agree this law needs to be passed and inforced. I wonder what other laws will follow. Like reading papers, putting make- up how about this one..... TAILGATING!!!!. Let's see if this will work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey