Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 11:42 AM

40 posts, read 62,423 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am looking with a friend for a 2 bedroom under $1500. After not finding anything downtown Newark, I am trying to figure out if this is possible in Jersey City.

Any recommendations? Also, I have previously found on this forum google safety maps that were very useful. I think it was for Essex county. Is there a similar one for Jersey City? I have no idea which areas to avoid and which ones are okay if you use common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 06:36 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,237,497 times
Jersey City is more expensive than Newark so answer is no. Unless you meant $3000 for 2bed. Then check JSQ. Good luck.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:08 AM

381 posts, read 1,305,732 times
My favorite part of JC was Hamilton Park. There is an enclave near Journal Square that's safe and commutable. I seem to recall it's called the Magnolia (?). We almost bought a house there. But no, I don't see you nabbing a 2-BR for $1500. You will need to make a 1-BR work or look elsewhere. Maybe Union City, Lyndhurst, Secaucus or West NY.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:02 AM

565 posts, read 717,781 times
Not sure about $1500, but check JC heights. It's up and coming, I think....several safe areas. Someone here on CD recently said the western side of the Heights is super safe.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:50 PM

200 posts, read 154,616 times
I ran a search on apartments.com (don't know if this is actually a good resource) and found plenty of 2 bedrooms in Newark for less than 1.5k. They are bordering East Orange and Irvington so they are probably in a terrible area. Also several in JC and surrounding areas. But Newark in general is definitely not safe so I'd avoid it. Bayonne might be a better bet depending on where you are working according to city data crime index.

Old 01-04-2017, 05:58 PM

Thanks everyone. I see some apartments under $1,500 in McGinley Square area, right below Journal Square. Unsafe?

Plenty of two bedrooms in Newark but in more sketchy areas. Also, roommate prefers walking distances to PATH or light rail.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:44 AM

565 posts, read 717,781 times
I have a friend who lives in McGinley square and has no issues. Having said that, she feels she needs to be cautious walking alone at night. She actually has a car and will often drive somewhere at night and deal with the parking issues rather than walk alone. But that's out of an abundance of caution and if you don't want to have a car, you can always uber in the situations when you are coming home alone late at night.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:57 AM

516 posts, read 1,000,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp2157 View Post
Thanks everyone. I see some apartments under $1,500 in McGinley Square area, right below Journal Square. Unsafe?

Plenty of two bedrooms in Newark but in more sketchy areas. Also, roommate prefers walking distances to PATH or light rail.
McGinley is quite safe through maybe Fairview as long as you stay really close to JFK (don't go too far towards Bergen). Obviously the closer towards JSQ you are, the better.

The new park on Fairview and JFK really has done a lot to entice families to move into that direction and clean up that area. A year or two ago, I would have said to stay north of Montgomery.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikan View Post
I have a friend who lives in McGinley square and has no issues. Having said that, she feels she needs to be cautious walking alone at night. She actually has a car and will often drive somewhere at night and deal with the parking issues rather than walk alone. But that's out of an abundance of caution and if you don't want to have a car, you can always uber in the situations when you are coming home alone late at night.
Thanks. Luckily I have a car and am a male used to living in similar settings. It can't be too much worse than living in Newark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPiggleWiggle View Post
McGinley is quite safe through maybe Fairview as long as you stay really close to JFK (don't go too far towards Bergen). Obviously the closer towards JSQ you are, the better.

The new park on Fairview and JFK really has done a lot to entice families to move into that direction and clean up that area. A year or two ago, I would have said to stay north of Montgomery.
I will have to check that out. I'm a bit confused, do you mean Bergen Ave or the Bergen/Lafayette area?

Old 01-06-2017, 10:10 AM

516 posts, read 1,000,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp2157 View Post
Thanks. Luckily I have a car and am a male used to living in similar settings. It can't be too much worse than living in Newark.

I will have to check that out. I'm a bit confused, do you mean Bergen Ave or the Bergen/Lafayette area?
Bergen Ave. You have to cross Bergen Ave and go south east to hit Bergen/Lafayette... that's a crap hole you do NOT want to be in after sunset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey