Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2017, 10:06 PM

4 posts, read 4,890 times

Advertisements

My family recently moved to a small town in Morris County. We received a note on our door from the building department because there was a complaint filed against us. Our family has not done anything that requires a permit (unless painting and changing carpet is now something that requires a permit). Aside from the obvious annoyance of having to deal with this now, we are so distraught over a "neighbor" doing this. Why would someone feel the need to do this? So - the reason I am posting this is to find out how to proceed. This is a private road in the country, so we are confident it is someone near us. Would you talk to each neighbor? Let it go? Get petty and start ratting others out? We moved to the country for the privacy and now I feel like we are being watched! Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 11:13 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,225,572 times
What is the violation?

I'm sympathetic. I had a neighbor turn me in for doing unpermitted work when in fact I was just having construction debris and old plumbing fixtures hauled away that were left behind by the previous owner.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:28 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,866,616 times
Let it go. Show the building department you're not doing anything. And if they ever call again the building department is going to be on your side compared to your crazy neighbor who keeps crying wolf.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:42 PM

148 posts, read 220,420 times
Does the municipal building department have evidence to warrant a complaint? The need to have proof that you violated a municipal ordinance.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:19 PM

1 posts, read 661 times
I rent in 1 family house first floor.
So far live in here about 6 year now.
Ever since when I moved in how can I say they're don't even care about tenant. When they're having a guest they taking so loud running around the house. beginning in call upstairs complain try say not to rule.
So far even call not answering. We even get to so upset heat the wall
It was weekdays almost 2am .
Of course if I don't want to stay in can move .but like people like me renting the house i can't moving around because of money .
What can I do?
What I can do for?

Old 04-24-2017, 07:28 PM

857 posts, read 834,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soojin lee View Post
I rent in 1 family house first floor.
So far live in here about 6 year now.
Ever since when I moved in how can I say they're don't even care about tenant. When they're having a guest they taking so loud running around the house. beginning in call upstairs complain try say not to rule.
So far even call not answering. We even get to so upset heat the wall
It was weekdays almost 2am .
Of course if I don't want to stay in can move .but like people like me renting the house i can't moving around because of money .
What can I do?
What I can do for?
I was recently in the same situation. So upsetting just so upsetting truly an upsetting situation.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:17 AM

862 posts, read 975,482 times
People love to RAT, from the time when they were in school and ratted out other kids to adults ratting out neighbors, coworkers ect, and also some building dept people also drive around looking for work trucks, also look at garbage for construction debris also in some towns.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:16 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef1 View Post
People love to RAT, from the time when they were in school and ratted out other kids to adults ratting out neighbors, coworkers ect, and also some building dept people also drive around looking for work trucks, also look at garbage for construction debris also in some towns.
I worked with a woman who didn't get along with her neighbors (and a lot of people in the office). She would come in gloating about how one of her neighbors said something she didn't like so she got revenge. The neighbor was putting up a new fence, so she looked up the town ordinance on how high fences were allowed to be, and when the neighbor wasn't home, she went over, measured their new fence, found it was four inches over, and reported them to the town.

Similarly, another neighbor complained because this woman's husband would just whip it out and pee in his backyard when he was outside doing yard work, and the neighbor came over and asked if he could please just not do that because she could see him and she didn't really want her kids seeing him peeing. This so incensed my coworker that she reported to the town that the neighbors had pet rabbits for their kids in the backyard. Apparently there is a rule that the only pets allowed are cats and dogs. They had to remove the hutch and find new homes for their rabbits.

All you need is one nut to make life miserable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey