Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 12:31 PM

6 posts, read 10,452 times

Advertisements

It is regional district. We pay taxes to Howell but our area is now slated for Colts Neck. The line has changed a couple times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 12:46 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,789,495 times
Wow, I'd say most schools now favor the outgoing, extroverted, leadership-oriented kids, especially if they play sports AND are smart. Are you saying Colts Neck favors quiet, studious type of kids?

Do you have the $ to pay to move him to Howell? It's probably about $15K/yr.

Or, CBA is a great school for someone like him (sports are competitive though! make sure he'd make the team if he transfers)

NO ONE can assume their kid can go to Princeton, even with a 1600 SAT and perfect grades and EC's. You'll need to expand the thinking for college, anyway.

Old 01-21-2017, 02:08 PM

No Im NOT saying that Colts Neck Favors the quiet studious types of kids. Sarcasm in this topic is not appropriate. The kids that are more typical here are more quiet. Serious may be a better term but by all means not more studious. I have a friend that has twins. One goes to Colts Neck and the other to Howell. Her feel is they are very different schools and for that reason one fit one of her kids the other fit the other kid. Just like my older son is completely fine here. This school has always been from what I have been told lately not one with much school spirit compared to others. For some people that is fine. In regards to ASSUMING that he will go to Princeton that was not what that comment was meant to mean more so that he was looking at that type of school which I believe would be more like the personality of the school he is in now. That type, is not a good fit for him. He breaks records in sports and am not looking to move him to another school where he knows no one. I know of one that he would do great in.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:31 AM

55 posts, read 43,122 times
I graduated from this district five years ago, their zoning always confused me. But I never heard of anyone from Howell going to Coltsneck High School, but obviously this depends on where you live. Do you live on the border? Is he a Freshmen? I was districted to Howell, all my friends went there, but attended Freehold Township for the Animal and Botanical Sciences Program. I knew 2-3 people at Freehold Township when I first started attending, but by the 2nd week I had a whole new set of friends that lasted all four years of high school. I don't talk to a lot of these people now, but I had a wonderful support system from both my Howell/Freehold friends.

I do remember a few ways of getting into the other high schools. One was with the programs (but you stated he is already in the school and couldn't start the programs from the beginning), if your older sibling went to that school and it was re-districted you could attend there, and if you changed your address. Do you have parents/relatives that might live in Howell? I am not sure if these ways are still available but I don't know of any other alternative.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:56 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,252,535 times
Just how depressed? Are you worried about his mental health and have you seeked medical treatment? I am hearing the worry in your posts and I am trying to gage the seriousness here. If there is true mental health concerns - verified by a psychiatrist, you may have a "case".
School districts don't want lawsuits because a child tried to harm himself when they could have prevented it. This kind of transfer is done all the time for these kinds of reasons.
Either way it may be worth having him talk to a professional to work through this difficulty so he can grow where he is planted.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,050 times
Smithone,

I was curious what progress if any you made in having your son switched back into Howell High?

My children will face a similar situation in two years. I'm prepared to pay out of district tuition if need be. Why should they be ripped from their core group in high school.
I pray you found a solution for your son!

Old 08-13-2017, 03:57 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymom2017 View Post
Smithone,
I was curious what progress if any you made in having your son switched back into Howell High?
My children will face a similar situation in two years. I'm prepared to pay out of district tuition if need be. Why should they be ripped from their core group in high school.
I pray you found a solution for your son!
This...dilemma (?) ... of course leads to the following question:
If your child can't deal with a change in environment and associates for high school, how will he/she deal with going to college, with a distinctly different group of associates, an absence of his/her usual support structure, and--very likely--a very different environment, as compared to his/her high school years?

Hmmm...

Old 08-14-2017, 06:33 AM

351 posts, read 482,269 times
Because most people will be starting over in college and will be better emotionally to handle it. Many kids stayed friends with the friends they created in elementary, middle and junior high. It takes effort to try and break into a new crowd.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:47 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,877 times
I know this is an old thread, but kids can thrive in new environments if they believe that YOU believe they can do it.

My mom dumped me off at a public high school in a new town after 9 years of Catholic elementary. I was the most sheltered, quiet kid in the world. I did fine. In fact, it made me push myself more than if I had gone to a Catholic HS where I would have known people and just clung to them

It's an opportunity to make new friends and there are good kids everywhere.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nx View Post
Because most people will be starting over in college and will be better emotionally to handle it. Many kids stayed friends with the friends they created in elementary, middle and junior high. It takes effort to try and break into a new crowd.
What is expected and fine at 17 or 18 is not the same at 14. There is alot of growing going on during that time frame. Actually going to college is nothing like high school. You are going to college with everyone in the class coming in new like you and you are several years older. This is entirely different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey