Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 10:20 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,831,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
In the towns people have suggested, are there really SF houses with yards under $250K?

I didn't think so, but no one seems to be saying anything, so maybe there is.
Oh yeah, Belleville is chock full of them. I mean, they're not large yards, most houses are going to be called "cozy" and "quaint," and the schools are lousy, but the houses are certainly there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 10:31 AM

87,957 posts, read 83,789,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Oh yeah, Belleville is chock full of them. I mean, they're not large yards, most houses are going to be called "cozy" and "quaint," and the schools are lousy, but the houses are certainly there.
OK, thanks. I am not impressed with Belleville, but it might be OK for someone who is used to Astoria.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:57 AM

4 posts, read 5,053 times
Thanks again for the honest input. We've lived in in 520 square feet for a long time, what you may think of as cozy and quaint I have a feeling would seem pretty big for us.

The S. Amboy suggestion is a good idea, just a bit too far. I'm glad I posted because it seems what I want and what I can afford are looking to be quite different. Bloomfield sounds like the best bet so far.

I know elizabeth was written off pretty much immediately, I've heard there are some nice neighborhoods like Elmora. How is the triangle of land that is created by the Elizabeth town center, Kean Univ, and the Roselle Park stop? is that a safe area?

thanks!

Old 01-26-2017, 01:29 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,234,426 times
OP - Thanks for sharing more context. Going to be brutally honest here so please do take it with grain of salt.

250k is a lot of money but at the same time, not a lot of money for buy at all in our area. With time horizon of 5years before needing to move again...its a gamble. It may cost more money for you to own for only 5 years before selling and buying again. Or you could luck out and land with lot of capital gains that you can plow into your new home.

What I'm trying to say is that, with 250k budget, long commute, and time horizon of 5 years. You may want to reconsider buy feasibility. While real estate is all about location location location. Break even point that gets tossed around a lot is 5-7 years and you are talking about 5 years. Think about it carefully, do the numbers, as being home owner...especially if you own a house rather than condo unit...is very expensive. May be cheaper to rent and save more money for large downpayment while you continue to increase your income.

Last edited by babo111; 01-26-2017 at 02:33 PM..

Old 01-27-2017, 07:45 AM

115 posts, read 145,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
OP - Thanks for sharing more context. Going to be brutally honest here so please do take it with grain of salt.

250k is a lot of money but at the same time, not a lot of money for buy at all in our area. With time horizon of 5years before needing to move again...its a gamble. It may cost more money for you to own for only 5 years before selling and buying again. Or you could luck out and land with lot of capital gains that you can plow into your new home.

What I'm trying to say is that, with 250k budget, long commute, and time horizon of 5 years. You may want to reconsider buy feasibility. While real estate is all about location location location. Break even point that gets tossed around a lot is 5-7 years and you are talking about 5 years. Think about it carefully, do the numbers, as being home owner...especially if you own a house rather than condo unit...is very expensive. May be cheaper to rent and save more money for large downpayment while you continue to increase your income.
I would have to agree with this assessment.

I would also agree with a previous poster who suggested Ironbound.

However, with 250k even in Ironbound, you are not likely to have a yard and it will more than likely be a "fixer upper"... for sake of comparison... I know of someone who recently purchased a condo in Ironbound (1,000 sq ft). 2 bed/1.5 bath--however, the renovation costs were close to 50k... (parking was included, and elevator building, but no yard)... although in Ironbound you probably wouldn't need a yard as there are several parks (and, one of the parks will actually be expanding all the way down to the start of university heights--near downtown Newark).

You could also consider Kearny. It has more of a family feel... (higher property taxes)... and, may be difficult to find a home at your price point.

You can do a search on this thread for "Ironbound" "Kearny"-- and, even "Harrison" (if you want to consider apt living)

North Arlington and Lyndhurst may also be an area you want to consider (if you could possibly increase your budget a bit)... you may be able to find something near the train station there or within a reasonable drive to Harrison Path station. (However, property taxes will also be high in these areas)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey