Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2017, 02:31 PM

540 posts, read 588,848 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I was born and grew up in NJ before moving to CA for 20 years. My wife and I are now thinking of moving back. The areas we are looking at are from Brick down to Barnegat/Stafford township. Prices aren't too bad for a nice home in that vicinity. I am pretty familiar with those towns but are there areas to watch out for or avoid?
I also see many homes in the Vineland area but have no clue as I've never been there before or heard much about that town. None of my friends or family have a clue about that area either.
Looking at $300k or less for a nice 3+/2+ less than 20 years old or so.
Any suggestions or help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 03:35 PM

175 posts, read 223,082 times
The Vineland downtown has a bit of an older, run down feel, but nothing too terrible. Supposedly it has some crime, but I don't think anywhere near the level of the truly crime-ridden areas of the state. It's a huge town by NJ standards (~70 sq mi) and not in a particularly over-developed part of the state, so a lot of it is farms and trees. Route 55 goes right through there and I would think would be relatively easily commutable to the South Jersey Philly burbs (Cherry Hill, etc.). If I had to guess, the Vineland area is probably one of the most affordable parts of the state.

Can't speak to the other areas you're looking at as I've never been around there. I'm sure others can.

Old 01-19-2017, 01:08 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dross99_si View Post
Hello all,

I was born and grew up in NJ before moving to CA for 20 years. My wife and I are now thinking of moving back. The areas we are looking at are from Brick down to Barnegat/Stafford township. Prices aren't too bad for a nice home in that vicinity. I am pretty familiar with those towns but are there areas to watch out for or avoid?
I also see many homes in the Vineland area but have no clue as I've never been there before or heard much about that town. None of my friends or family have a clue about that area either.
Looking at $300k or less for a nice 3+/2+ less than 20 years old or so.
Any suggestions or help would be appreciated!
There's a heroin problem in Toms River which is bleeding over into Pine Beach and the surrounding area. There are still some very nice neighborhoods, but choose wisely if you go there.

Waretown, Barenaget and Stafford are very mixed. There's a significant number of retirement communities. Part of Manahawkin along Rt. 72 is full of box stores and chains. In recent years, people have built some very nice homes far enough away from Rt. 9 to have quiet at night.

You can live in Vineland, but you can't live in Vineland. The town area is a mess. Stay away from that. Suburban and semi-rural areas are, seem to be, OK.

Have you looked at any places like Audubon?

Old 01-19-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
There's a heroin problem in Toms River which is bleeding over into Pine Beach and the surrounding area. There are still some very nice neighborhoods, but choose wisely if you go there.

Waretown, Barenaget and Stafford are very mixed. There's a significant number of retirement communities. Part of Manahawkin along Rt. 72 is full of box stores and chains. In recent years, people have built some very nice homes far enough away from Rt. 9 to have quiet at night.

You can live in Vineland, but you can't live in Vineland. The town area is a mess. Stay away from that. Suburban and semi-rural areas are, seem to be, OK.

Have you looked at any places like Audubon?
I have not looked at Audubon. Never heard of it actually..
I was trying to stay closer to the shore, but I will check it out. Thanks for the suggestion!
We came from Los Angeles County (Drugs galore including heroin), Currently in Concord, NH (heroin problem here too) thinking about moving to NJ (heroin problem there too). I think this **** is everywhere nowadays. Tough to completely get away from it seems. It's very sad.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:11 AM

Different states, different problems. If it's not heroin, it's meth.

What sort of place, community are you looking for? Do you need sidewalks or want a large property? Do you want to live in a town, development, or is semi-rural preferable? Just about anything is possible down there.

Where did you grow up and what are your expectations? You'd prefer to live near the shore. Anything else?

Old 01-20-2017, 06:43 AM

I grew up on the shore in Port Monmouth/Middletown and spent many summers in Pt. Pleasant and Seaside. I have lots of family in north Jersey. My parents moved us to Southern CA when I was 14 and I spent 20 years there. Always missed the east coast and the 4 seasons so my wife (So Cal native) and I moved back east this past fall, but up to NH where cost of living is a bit less than NJ (as far as taxes) and the summers are milder. We are starting to realize that although NH is nice and very beautiful it may be just a little too rural for our taste. House placement is sporadic and there are not many neighborhoods around here. Food options are not the best either. Love me some Jersey pizza, subs and pork roll!
Prior to moving to NH we lived in a large community about 50 miles north of LA where there are lots of tract homes typical of out west so that is what we're used to. We definitely don't want urban but rather a larger town with nice neighborhoods and many options as far as restaurants, big box stores, decent size mall, movie theaters and such. North Jersey is definitely way too crowded and bustling and housing is way too expensive so say the least. We are not in a huge rush to move and are comfy in our apartment for now but I really don't think we will buy a house here and want to explore other options so NJ is now on our radar due to the history and family I have there. We are open to suggestions. Thanks!

Old 01-20-2017, 09:57 AM

Just to get it out of the way, I'll mention Marlton, Evesham Township, and Medford. They both have every type of housing imaginable priced from reasonable to WTH. There are a lot of shopping and dining options, as well as parks, a few preserved farms, and it doesn't take too long to get out of Dodge and into the woods. It's a really nice area. They're 45 and 50 miles from the shore, but that's a day trip if you don't go on Saturday morning in the summer.

I take back what I said about Barnegat. You might find something in the township west of Rt. 9 or the Parkway between the 55+ and planned communities with HOA fees. Manahawkin, Stafford Township, is another option. You might find something in Howell Township. It's between Belmar and Freehold. You can actually buy a house there in the $250,000 range.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:54 AM

We've extended our original search to range from Brick down to Egg Harbor Township/Mays Landing.
What would be towns to avoid and towns to consider between those two points?
Schools don't matter so we can take those out of the equation. Larger towns with nice neighborhoods and plenty of shopping/dining close by? Lower crime and less flood risk of course.
Not looking to live in an HOA community.
Your expert opinions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Old 01-27-2017, 03:23 PM

My expert opinion is that the further South you go, the more rural it becomes. It's the Pine Barrens.

I know of three people who live in the Manahawkin area and work in Marlton, Medford. One is a teacher, and the other two are small business owners.

If you want shopping and dining, you'll either stay North or live inland. Other than Manahawkin, there's not much going on down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey