Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 12:17 PM

34 posts, read 126,567 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am new to posting in this forum. I've read some of the messages about Delran, NJ. However I would like further details.

My wife and I are looking for areas to move to. We're looking for a good combination of "reasonable taxes (I know that's hard to find in this state)", good schools, access to major roadways, friendly towns, and affordability. We live in Voorhees but the commute to Trenton for the both of us is really eating up the time in our days. Delran is some distance from Trenton but it's close to 295 and 130 and is about 25-30 mins away compared to the 50-60 mins that Voorhees presents.

It doesn't appear to have the high taxes that Mount Laurel or Moorestown has or the crime problem that Mount Holly, Willingboro, and Burlington has.
I know that it's not closer than Bordentown or Chesterfield but it seems not as expensive as those towns.

However, I wanted to know is the Delran school system respectable enough to be compared to Cinnaminson, Moorestown, and the Lenape schools. The high school looks really dated from the outside. Are residents clamoring for a new school or improvements to the old one?

Also, how are the grade schools. I hear overcrowding may be an issue?

Finally, how are the people in general?

We've checked out much of the stores and like the fact there is a home depot, lowes, shoprite, Target, Panera, and Star Bucks right nearby. These stores which appear relatively new in the area appear to indicate a progressive town. We hope so...

I thank you all in advance for your answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 04:11 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,603,160 times
I live in Cinnaminson. Delran is roughly equivalent to Cinnaminson IMO. We were looking in both towns back when we were looking.

I don't think there is a groundswell for a new school, or nothing I've heard. They have nice facilities from what I've seen.

You're takes on the town in general are correct IMO in relationshiop to other towns. Not sure about the overcrowding and stuff, but that should be easy to find out.

Tenby Chase is the more desirable area from my understanding, but the houses we looked at over there were all pretty small if they had the original footprint. A lot of people add on the back.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:58 PM

Thanks for your response billb....Tenby Chase seems fine, however, how are the townhomes and single-family homes in the Summerhill area. Is anyone familiar with the area surrounding the Summerhill development? If yes, how is the area overall with respect to friendly neighbors and having a diverse community??
Is it an idea area to raise young children?

Old 07-03-2008, 06:20 AM

29 posts, read 163,188 times
I grew up in Delran, moved to Moorestown, and now live in Delran again and am raising two young kids. The schools are getting better and better in my opinion. The Lowes/Shoprite center is realtively new. The Target center was just rebuilt. The township has been working hard at updating the whole Rt 130 retail section. And compared to surrounding towns, you'll get the most bang for your buck when buying a home. And there is a wide variety to choose from. The homes in summerhill are nice, the townhomes are nice too...it just seems that the streets are too tight and not much parking available. Right outside summerhill is the new Goddard school and another small shopping center with ice cream, deli and a place for kids to get their hair cut. The town is very kid friendly and the Delran AA has many sport related activities all year round. Feel free to message me if you want more info

Old 07-03-2008, 07:58 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,075,557 times
We bought a few years ago in a Tenby Chase area known as "Olde Tenby". Very nice safe area, neighbors are great and folks really take care of their homes. It's a nice neighborhood for walking or bike riding.

I've heard schools are very good and taxes are reasonable by New Jersey standards.

Township services (snow removal, emergency etc.) are excellent.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:09 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,518,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qbrctr View Post
Hello All,

I am new to posting in this forum. I've read some of the messages about Delran, NJ. However I would like further details.

My wife and I are looking for areas to move to. We're looking for a good combination of "reasonable taxes (I know that's hard to find in this state)", good schools, access to major roadways, friendly towns, and affordability. We live in Voorhees but the commute to Trenton for the both of us is really eating up the time in our days. Delran is some distance from Trenton but it's close to 295 and 130 and is about 25-30 mins away compared to the 50-60 mins that Voorhees presents.

It doesn't appear to have the high taxes that Mount Laurel or Moorestown has or the crime problem that Mount Holly, Willingboro, and Burlington has.
I know that it's not closer than Bordentown or Chesterfield but it seems not as expensive as those towns.

However, I wanted to know is the Delran school system respectable enough to be compared to Cinnaminson, Moorestown, and the Lenape schools. The high school looks really dated from the outside. Are residents clamoring for a new school or improvements to the old one?

Also, how are the grade schools. I hear overcrowding may be an issue?

Finally, how are the people in general?

We've checked out much of the stores and like the fact there is a home depot, lowes, shoprite, Target, Panera, and Star Bucks right nearby. These stores which appear relatively new in the area appear to indicate a progressive town. We hope so...

I thank you all in advance for your answers.
I think you get more house in Delran because the schools are average. They are not thought of in the same light as Lenape, and certainly not close to neighboring Moorestown. There's been a fair amount of building recently with some 800K type housing going up. The location is fairly good but I think you get what you pay for since some of the area towns tend to be more upscale with better schools. There are worse towns than Delran for sure as you indicated, the 'up and coming' aspect might be worth looking into further especially if the higher-end housing stock improves the township schools.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:00 AM

Thank you all for your comments.

One section my wife and I were looking at were the Summerhill Townhomes and Miller's Run (Summerhill) Townhomes. However, we have noticed a lot of "for sale" signs outside of these units. We are starting to get nervous about that area. We really liked it because association fees are not an issue there and the layout of the inside of the units are ideal. However, we do realize there are powerlines and towers in the area. We wanted something larger than a condominium in a good area for just a few years just so we can save even while my wife is out on maternity leave.

So anyone with information about the Summerhill townhomes please advise

Old 07-10-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
I think you get more house in Delran because the schools are average.
LOL why's that, because you may encounter a black person?

My bro in law grew up in Delran and now owns his own company.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:51 PM

Shawnee High School
91% 96% 94% Moorestown High School 91% 96% 90% Cherokee High School 89% 94% 92% Seneca High School 87% 92% 86% Cinnaminson High School 86% 98% 93% Burlington Township High School 83% 87% 74% Lenape High School 82% 89% 85% Northern Burlington Co.Regional H.S 82% 93% 88% Rancocas Valley Regional High School 78% 85% 74% Delran High School 78% 93% 87%
Burlington county sorted by test scores.

http://www.greatschools.net/cgi-bin/...tab=teach_stud

Old 12-10-2008, 05:34 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
we are gonna be Delran residents in feb. We are signing the papers friday. Can't wait. We scored a beautiful 3 bedroom rancher (5 years old) with a killer garage and gorgous landscaping, The neighborhood is excellent. We are gonna be close to swede lake. The Cambridge section coser to the deleware river. Taxes are fair too. We did your homework and Delran is a great area and the best bang for the buck that we found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey