Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 01:22 PM

5,335 posts, read 4,423,566 times

Advertisements

Having been born and raised in Cape May I kinda consider Cape May, Atlantic, and Cumberland Counties southern Jersey. The rest could be distributed however y'all want!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 01:30 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
lol, i remember watching family fued and the question was to list cities with subway systems. the person's first answer was "New Jersey??" not kidding

I remember in HS during History Class we were going over the states (yes, 16 years old and reviewing states - my 1st graders knew all 50 ), and when the teacher mentioned "West Virginia", one girl goes "WEST VIRGINIA'S A STATE?" followed by giggles.

My eyeballs hit the ceiling from rolling them so hard. Unbelievable.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:52 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,917,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I remember in HS during History Class we were going over the states (yes, 16 years old and reviewing states - my 1st graders knew all 50 ), and when the teacher mentioned "West Virginia", one girl goes "WEST VIRGINIA'S A STATE?" followed by giggles.

My eyeballs hit the ceiling from rolling them so hard. Unbelievable.
LOL! I would've lost it if the teacher replied, "Yes, it's right across East Virginia."

Old 04-10-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
all i gotta say is, that felt great!!
I bet it did! You're right that the Knicks are major underachievers. It's been bad news since Dolan took ownership and hired I. Thomas. Maybe the new GM they hired from the Pacers will fire Thomas and find a decent coach.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:57 PM

88 posts, read 536,090 times
IMO, North Jersey should be like a 6th boro to NYC. To me the southern parts of Union aren't so North Jersey to me. Should be like a greater Staten Island with the northern part of Central Jersey in that mix. Warren should be PA, Sussex should be PA or NY State. Morris is whatever, it is North Jersey but definately doesn't have that feel that Bergen, Essex, Passaic, and Hudson have so i'm not so big on this Morris.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:59 PM

88 posts, read 536,090 times
All in all tho, Jersey is the most unique state by far. F*ck watcha heard!

Old 08-29-2008, 03:06 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,980,991 times
I grew up in Monmouth Co., lived in Ocean Co., Brooklyn, Manhattan, Camden Co. and now Philadelphia.

Only people from North Jersey and South Jersey say there is no Central Jersey.
195 certainly doesn't divide anything except maybe North Howell from South Howell.
That's like saying that 295 or the Parkway is a dividing line of some sort.

I think it's quite easy to distinguish one area from another - the telephone companies have been doing it for years with area codes based on where people call the most. The map that was put up before is very close to what I say constitutes Central Jersey. Except that I would include some of the towns in the northwest corner of Burlington Co. because they certainly consider themselves central.

Basically the northern edge of 609, in a line from Wrightstown to Roebling would be the rough dividing line of South/Central. Also, the northern portion of 732, above the Raritan River would be North Jersey.

Central/Southern boundary can also be found where Devils fans and Flyers fans overlap. For football teams it's a much more stark division. For baseball less so. Phillies fans can be found in Point Pleasant. One of their farm teams is in Lakewood.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:10 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,980,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
This is my definition of north vs central vs south:

When doing this, I struggled (as anyone might) with where the boundaries should lie. .
You'll probably notice the diagonal line that forms part of your boundary between South/Central and is also the border of Burlington/Ocean. You'll probably also notice that it keeps going straight through Mercer and up into Hunterdon Co.

That was the old boundary between East and West Jersey and is much more accurate in placing the cultural divides of the state than the north/south garbage that was invented 30 years ago as political posturing.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:05 AM

I'll be in NJ (both north and south) in about a week. Looking forward to it!

Old 10-13-2008, 07:43 PM

12 posts, read 54,571 times
Default we cant split NJ into 3 thats ridiculous

This central jersey thing cracks me up.This state is not that dam big.I think we have bigger egos.Just cut it in half trenton should go with the Northern part. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey