Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has Permitting Same-Sex Civil Unions in NJ Detrimentally Impacted Your Quality-of-Life?
Yes 7 13.21%
No 46 86.79%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 09:47 PM

180 posts, read 699,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
It's ludicrous because it will never effect your situation because you are straight! What if the world was suddenly turned upside down and our goverment decided that straight couple could not marry or would have no rights protecting them from harm or even our laws. What if your wife..or significant other was in a seroius car accident..you rush to be by her side only to have the hospital tell you "sorry, but we do not recognize your relationship - you'll have to go and wait in the waiting room" - and when they do finally come to see you, the news is "sorry but your "friend" has passed! This has happened to people I know and it's horrible! It's about human rights not gay or straight rights!
I think you misunderstood my answer. I too fully support civil unions for some of the same reasons you cite above and many more and I can of course see how they positively affect your life if you are gay. What I was saying is that I can't understand how straight people could feel it negatively impacts their lives. The original poster wanted answers to these questions: "Is your family now suffering as a result of same-sex couples engaging in civil unions? Do you feel threatened? How has your happiness been diminished?" That is what I find to be ludicrous. Why would my happiness be diminished b/c fellow human beings are being afforded the rights they deserve? Why would my family suffer b/c someone else's is finally able to enjoy the rights they deserve? I hope someone does respond to the questions in the original post because I'd love to know how your family is now sufferring b/c someone else is able to support the people they love in the way that they should be allowed to just like everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 12:02 AM

514 posts, read 1,664,874 times
Doesnt affect or bother me one bit. And I dont understand how it could affect someones quality of life. If people would just mind their own business and let others do as they wish, whether you like it or not, the world could be a much better place.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:55 AM

416 posts, read 1,710,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
A lot of Pennsylvanians are supporting this proposed amendment to our state consitution to permanently ban same-sex rights
Yikes!
Quote:
I was just wondering if there was any credibility to their fears that permitting same-sex couples to engage in civil unions would destroy our state's quality-of-life.
What the heck are the arguments folks give for that, by the way? Why would it have any effect on anyone except for gay folks who would no longer be prohibited from having their partnership legally recognized?

Old 03-04-2008, 08:10 AM

259 posts, read 922,490 times
One of my closer friends is involved in a Civil Union and is very happy. To me, that's all that matters.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:14 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,940,267 times
Same sex civil unions do not effect my life at all. I don't know why people have such an issue with this. Because they think its wrong? Fine - they can think that....I am not an activist for either side by any means....I have my beliefs - everyone else has theirs - just like with abortion. I don't think anything good could come out of not allowing these civil unions or marriages - whether I agree with the lifestyle or not. Do people think that if we don't let them do this that we will "turn them straight?" LOL that's not going to happen! So what's the big deal....they love someone - live and let live.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:39 AM

32,604 posts, read 77,235,199 times
Thanks again, everyone, for the insight. It's becoming overwhelmingly clear to me that there is no logical response any right-wing zealot here in Pennylvania can provide to me that would have any substance to oppose same-sex civil unions, hospital visitation rights, etc. I was actually hoping for one or two dissenters to appear so I could practice honing my debating skills for the time when my friends and I can start flooding newspaper editorials, Congressional offices, etc. with rational words of protest against this proposed amendment, but I believe I have enough ammunition on my own from past debates. I just don't understand how any intelligent, lucid person could be in favor of such an amendment.

For all the whining you people do about New Jersey, you should feel VERY proud that your state is so "progressive." Your state has not only embraced civil unions and showed the rest of the nation that you all put a high emphasis upon civil rights, but you also took the safety of drivers into consideration by banning any non-hands-free communications device (a.k.a. hand-held cell phones) while driving. Here in PA I'm constantly following swerving SUVs on the freeway at rush hour, and when I go to pass them over 90% of the time they have their left hands craned to their ear with a cell phone. I truly wish Pennsylvania's legislators would be "on the ball." Hell, Scranton's short-lived public smoking ban had to be overturned because the state "didn't get that far yet." As much as I love my own state, it is WAY far behind the times socially.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:57 AM

13,365 posts, read 28,593,453 times
Doesn't bother my time!!

Old 03-04-2008, 09:06 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,643,284 times
The Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Canada and South Africa all recognize same-sex marriages. Its a shame how they have become third world countries as a result, civilization is destroyed!

**EDIT**

Almost forgot - Israel recognizes same-sex marriages. You just can't perform them there.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:19 AM

7,049 posts, read 19,200,955 times
Quote:
Thanks again, everyone, for the insight. It's becoming overwhelmingly clear to me that there is no logical response any right-wing zealot here in Pennylvania can provide to me that would have any substance to oppose same-sex civil unions, hospital visitation rights, etc.
Haha. There were some threads in the politics and religion forums here on City-Data months ago where I asked some people "HOW have (or would) same sex unions affected YOUR life? Name ONE thing, ANYTHING." I got zero responses, just more yelling that didn't address the question at all. The best answer I've ever gotten is an honest, "Well it doesn't affect my life, but it's against my religious beliefs so I have to oppose it." My response to that line is always, "well if it's against YOUR religious beliefs, that's fine. Then YOU should not get into a same-sex union. But what right do you have to enact laws that prohibit other people from engaging in unions that may not be opposed to their moral beliefs at all?" I've never gotten a good answer to that one. People either don't say anything, or revert back to "well gay marriage is a slippery slope. next we'll endorse marrying farm animals!!!!!!"

Quote:
For all the whining you people do about New Jersey, you should feel VERY proud that your state is so "progressive." Your state has not only embraced civil unions and showed the rest of the nation that you all put a high emphasis upon civil rights, but you also took the safety of drivers into consideration by banning any non-hands-free communications device (a.k.a. hand-held cell phones) while driving. Here in PA I'm constantly following swerving SUVs on the freeway at rush hour, and when I go to pass them over 90% of the time they have their left hands craned to their ear with a cell phone. I truly wish Pennsylvania's legislators would be "on the ball." Hell, Scranton's short-lived public smoking ban had to be overturned because the state "didn't get that far yet." As much as I love my own state, it is WAY far behind the times socially.
Ain't that the truth. For all the problems NJ has, it was still such a relief to arrive here. Virginia passed a constitutional ban on same sex unions which effectively eliminated domestic partner benefits for heterosexual couples too, and affects unmarried heterosexual couples rights for child custody, wills, and domestic violence protection.

My college town's council had a campaign to remove COSMO magazine from shelves within the town because it's too racey for teenagers! The town tried to get rid of the high school gay-straight alliance club. To do so they were willing to suspend ALL extra-curricular clubs/organizations. Well I hope it's worth the price, as bored teenagers with no motivation and nothing to do roam the streets commiting random crimes... but at least the gays aren't getting any support! God be praised!

Sorry for the rant everyone, but these are some reasons that some of us are very happy that places like New Jersey exist!

Old 03-04-2008, 09:31 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,940,267 times
I have lived in NJ all my life and am considering leaving ONLY because of how expensive it is. Other then that....its home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: