Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has Permitting Same-Sex Civil Unions in NJ Detrimentally Impacted Your Quality-of-Life?
Yes 7 13.21%
No 46 86.79%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 11:07 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,550,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy205 View Post
I think you misunderstood my answer. I too fully support civil unions for some of the same reasons you cite above and many more and I can of course see how they positively affect your life if you are gay. What I was saying is that I can't understand how straight people could feel it negatively impacts their lives. The original poster wanted answers to these questions: "Is your family now suffering as a result of same-sex couples engaging in civil unions? Do you feel threatened? How has your happiness been diminished?" That is what I find to be ludicrous. Why would my happiness be diminished b/c fellow human beings are being afforded the rights they deserve? Why would my family suffer b/c someone else's is finally able to enjoy the rights they deserve? I hope someone does respond to the questions in the original post because I'd love to know how your family is now sufferring b/c someone else is able to support the people they love in the way that they should be allowed to just like everyone else.
Sorry Paddy : )) Thank you for your support... I get what you are saying now, and I agree - ludicrous : ))))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 05:06 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,730,302 times
I think if 2 people want to spend the rest of their lives together then they should be allowed to. Regardless of their sexual preferences. Hell I'll even go as far as saying that if 3 (or more) people want to all get married then let them too. What is so wrong with polygamy anyway if all parties are being equally supported financially? Im not talking religious cult like crazy crap that was happening out in Utah. Just 3 people who all love each other and want to live together and share everything for the rest of their lives. Yes, I'm a Big Love fan. No, I do not have 2 wives nor do I want one (one person telling me what to do is more than enough thank you very much) but why not allow it for those who do want that.

We need to stop imposing OUR beliefs on other people. Everyone should have the right to do whatever the hell they please as long as it doesnt harm anyone or interfere with someone else's rights. People like to preach about our laws and how they should follow a moral code. Who's moral code? The United States of America was established to PREVENT the oppression of religion and government on the people. To allow all people to be free. How can one be free if someone else is telling them what they can and cannot do. Now, Im not talking about a lawless society. We needs laws, but laws preventing someone from doing something that hurts NO-ONE in any way shape or form are stupid. Or ludicrous as others have stated.

Finally, to those that say that because their religion is against homosexuality they have to be against it... All I have to say is stop being a F***ing sheep in the world and stand up for your own beliefs in whats right and wrong. Stop always trying to "fit in" with what everyone else is doing/saying. If, because of your religion, YOU believe it is wrong then say that! Take ownership in your beliefs. Dont BLAME it on your religon!

/rant

Old 03-05-2008, 05:41 PM

323 posts, read 573,210 times
personally i dont see how it could affect me or anyone in a negative way .i dont want anyone in my business ,thats why i stay out of other peoples business

Old 03-05-2008, 05:48 PM

Very positive results OP - Too bad we couldn't do this on a Federal level - that's where it's most important for alot of us - especially for those of us involved in relationships with people from other countries...you don't even want to know how much money we have had to spend on attorney fees and various visas to be able to be together. This is the main reason Hilary is getting my vote!

Old 03-05-2008, 05:49 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,590,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikinman63 View Post
personally i dont see how it could affect me or anyone in a negative way .i dont want anyone in my business ,thats why i stay out of other peoples business
what a great line.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikinman63 View Post
to each there own - seems it's just the politicians and religious lobbyist who want to know what goes on in other people's bedrooms...interesting : ))

Old 03-05-2008, 07:56 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,287,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Very positive results OP - Too bad we couldn't do this on a Federal level - that's where it's most important for alot of us - especially for those of us involved in relationships with people from other countries...you don't even want to know how much money we have had to spend on attorney fees and various visas to be able to be together. This is the main reason Hilary is getting my vote!
I concur wholeheartedly. Pennsylvania is probably the most right-wing Northeastern state, so this amendment has a pretty good chance of passing by perhaps a 51% vs. 49% margin or so, which is what has me so panic-stricken.

I conducted a poll on the PA forum that became very popular asking people if they'd vote in favor of such a ban, and the results thus far are as follows:

With 78 votes:

48 (61.54%) would NOT vote in favor of the amendment no matter what.
18 (23.08%) would vote in favor of the amendment as is being proposed.
8 (10.26%) would only vote to ban same-sex marriage.
4 (5.13%) are either not sure or have a different outlook on the issue.

This means that 56 people out of the 78 who responded (71.80%) are in favor of same-sex civil unions. If this mirrors the state at-large, then one could predict that the ban WILL fail to pass because it is also proposing banning same-sex civil unions, which most people support. However, this poll can NOT be taken as a good indicator overall of what may occur as some out-of-staters weighed in as well, even though I asked them not to do so, which skewed the results in a more liberal direction. I feel as if the vote in reality will be more of a dead-heat as a result. You also have to factor in that older people are the ones who will be most ardently supportive of the ban, and very few elderly Pennsylvanians belong to our forum.

I can only hope that the continuing influx of NJ and NY residents into PA will help to skew the results in my favor so that civil unions will NOT be banned in my state. I'm hoping those taxes keep soaring so that you all keep flooding over the Delaware River into PA! LOL!

Old 03-05-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
I concur wholeheartedly. Pennsylvania is probably the most right-wing Northeastern state, so this amendment has a pretty good chance of passing by perhaps a 51% vs. 49% margin or so, which is what has me so panic-stricken.

I conducted a poll on the PA forum that became very popular asking people if they'd vote in favor of such a ban, and the results thus far are as follows:

With 78 votes:

48 (61.54%) would NOT vote in favor of the amendment no matter what.
18 (23.08%) would vote in favor of the amendment as is being proposed.
8 (10.26%) would only vote to ban same-sex marriage.
4 (5.13%) are either not sure or have a different outlook on the issue.

This means that 56 people out of the 78 who responded (71.80%) are in favor of same-sex civil unions. If this mirrors the state at-large, then one could predict that the ban WILL fail to pass because it is also proposing banning same-sex civil unions, which most people support. However, this poll can NOT be taken as a good indicator overall of what may occur as some out-of-staters weighed in as well, even though I asked them not to do so, which skewed the results in a more liberal direction. I feel as if the vote in reality will be more of a dead-heat as a result. You also have to factor in that older people are the ones who will be most ardently supportive of the ban, and very few elderly Pennsylvanians belong to our forum.

I can only hope that the continuing influx of NJ and NY residents into PA will help to skew the results in my favor so that civil unions will NOT be banned in my state. I'm hoping those taxes keep soaring so that you all keep flooding over the Delaware River into PA! LOL!
We'll do our best to keep sending over the Jersey folks..lol : )) I think you might be surprised at the older folks and what they think - most would likely be in favor - I'm sure they have several children or grandchildren who would be affected by this ban... grandparents are usually the first to figure it out or most may come out to their grandparents before their parents! I'm surprised at PA though - I know alot of "family" members out there - perhaps they just don't keep up with the politics? I'd like to see you try this Thread in the General US forum - see what kind of response you get...it would be interesting!

Old 03-06-2008, 07:53 AM

438 posts, read 962,617 times
there is a movement in PA for this to be on the agenda for the 08 elections in an attempt to swing the state for McCain (or any Republican who would've been running).

The veiled bigotry of Pennsyltucky will become much more apparent. And to anyone here who voted that this affects your life in anyway should be ashamed.

As JC once said "You have Philadelphia in the east, Pittsburgh in the west and Alabama right down the middle"
F*cking disgraceful.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:22 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,287,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfulou View Post
there is a movement in PA for this to be on the agenda for the 08 elections in an attempt to swing the state for McCain (or any Republican who would've been running).

The veiled bigotry of Pennsyltucky will become much more apparent. And to anyone here who voted that this affects your life in anyway should be ashamed.

As JC once said "You have Philadelphia in the east, Pittsburgh in the west and Alabama right down the middle"
F*cking disgraceful.
I can understand divergent opinions on my "chosen lifestyle" (a phrase I won't get into because I'm tired of debating it), but what I can't understand is any NON-RELIGIOUS reason that same-sex civil unions could detrimentally impact one's quality-of-life. Isn't there something in the U.S. Constitution stating something along the lines of "and government should make no law recognizing the establishment of organized religion?" If so, then how can people say we should ban same-sex civil unions based upon their personal religious beliefs? Isn't that going against the U.S. Constitution?

I'm somewhat confident that this ban will fail because it is too overbearing. Most here in PA are opposed to same-sex marriage, but most also think it's a social injustice to ban hospital visitation rights and other "fringe" arguments. If the amendment was to ban same-sex marriage alone, I'm sure it would pass by a hefty margin. However I feel that even though we may be "Pennsyltucky," there are enough RATIONAL people in this state to strike it down for being discriminatory. If not, then I'm packing my bags after college and taking my entrepreneurial ideas out of Scranton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: