Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 10:35 PM

2 posts, read 1,818 times

Advertisements

Too funny! I moved to Vegas back in 1991, lived a good life, but thinking back now I never really accepted Las Vegas as "home". We are currently thinking of moving to SJ, where I am from, to finish raising our 3 kids. I've lived in Henderson for most of my time here, although we are in Southern Highlands now. We have a big house, and stupid cheap taxes. But, no real sense of community. I really miss the people, culture, and opportunities in NJ and Philly. If we are able to afford to leave Vegas, the only thing I'll miss is the weather! Well, also the Golden Knights, lol! While summer days are brutal, the nights are gorgeous all year. NJ offers the best education, food, accessibility, and opportunities for our kids. I have cousins and aunts, and friends who are truly family, all in SJ and Philly. There is a support system there that we don't have here in LV. I know it will be a shock for the kids and my husband to live there instead of the usual summer visit, but at least the kids will have something to compare to Vegas. We will stay in SJ until they graduate high school, then move over to Pa. Same reason anyone moves, the taxes. While they are outrageous, you get what you pay for in NJ, especially in terms of education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 10:46 PM

2 posts, read 1,818 times
Default move back to NJ from Las Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey-Pete View Post
We literally moved out of Jersey 3 weeks ago. The high cost of living, politics : including nanny-state BS, gun laws, horrible drivers on the roads and rude people in general had become unbarable . Never in my 50 years growing up in Jersey did i think it would come to this. We now live near the edge of the desert in a town just south of Las Vegas called Henderson. The people are super friendly, the cost of living is a fraction. Property taxes range from $300 to $600 per year for an average home . Not to mention that i've been wearing cargo shorts since my first day here . It's sunny 7 days a week.
On the downside i'll miss pizza and Sabrette hot dogs. well worth the sacrifice. I will adjust.
Too funny! I moved to Vegas back in 1991, lived a good life, but thinking back now I never really accepted Las Vegas as "home". We are currently thinking of moving to SJ, where I am from, to finish raising our 3 kids. I've lived in Henderson for most of my time here, although we are in Southern Highlands now. We have a big house, and stupid cheap taxes. But, no real sense of community. I really miss the people, culture, and opportunities in NJ and Philly. If we are able to afford to leave Vegas, the only thing I'll miss is the weather! Well, also the Golden Knights, lol! While summer days are brutal, the nights are gorgeous all year. NJ offers the best education, food, accessibility, and opportunities for our kids. I have cousins and aunts, and friends who are truly family, all in SJ and Philly. There is a support system there that we don't have here in LV. I know it will be a shock for the kids and my husband to live there instead of the usual summer visit, but at least the kids will have something to compare to Vegas. We will stay in SJ until they graduate high school, then move over to Pa. Same reason anyone moves, the taxes. While they are outrageous, you get what you pay for in NJ, especially in terms of education.

Old 06-02-2020, 12:26 AM

1,387 posts, read 4,015,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJFillet View Post
It definitely depends. A lot of people from NJ end up staying in NJ and just accept the taxes as part of life. I moved back to NJ from Philly and my taxes literally quadrupled...but I can also use that against my federal income taxes so it's kind of a wash really.

Nooo! They don't. Let them go. South Jersey is crowded enough already.
This post did not age well.

Old 06-02-2020, 05:10 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,192,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
This post did not age well.

Not only that, but "x" amount of home owners living in NJ don't age well worrying how to pay their bills which Murphy with his $ raising methods and dem Mayors with their inflated budgets therefore raising their property taxes.

Many in this forum reading this post will "" because they're part of the NJ sheeple who will re-elect Murphy in 2021 - their even hyper-higher cost of living afterwards be damned.

Old 06-02-2020, 07:33 AM

19,114 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
DM coming your way. JM
Our dear friend, Tahiti, died at least one year ago.

Old 06-03-2020, 06:53 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Our dear friend, Tahiti, died at least one year ago.
Her last post was in 2016.

Old 06-03-2020, 10:22 PM

1,011 posts, read 785,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post
Not only that, but "x" amount of home owners living in NJ don't age well worrying how to pay their bills which Murphy with his $ raising methods and dem Mayors with their inflated budgets therefore raising their property taxes.

Many in this forum reading this post will "" because they're part of the NJ sheeple who will re-elect Murphy in 2021 - their even hyper-higher cost of living afterwards be damned.
New Jersey has been the same old song and dance forever elect the same people in office and complain about the cost of living going up. Murphy is going to get reelected a lot of people agree with the long lockdown and his slow response to reopening the state.

I was supposed to use this summer to scope out Knoxville Tn i have some friends who lives out there this whole covid thing ruined it.

Old 06-04-2020, 12:38 AM

357 posts, read 125,274 times
For some, they have to leave New Jersey to appreciate it.....Cost of Living outside of home purchasing and property taxes is not more expensive than anywhere else on the East Coast. The property taxes and cost of housing is more than it should be; however, there are many counties, neighborhoods, and municipalities where this is an exception. I've seen it for years, people living beyond their means and blaming it on prices of stuff. Prices are high in most high density, highly populated places. Managing money, investing, budgeting, and proper planning is an art and it's a work in progress for most of us. We all think about elements of cost at times, but that sh** don't burden me day in and day out when it's par for the course here. If anything, me and my wife's hustle just gets stronger. We're winning regardless..

And of course, you should never live where you don't want to live. If the cost or anything is too unbearable, people should leave and go where those things are not a burden day in and day out, cause then they make it miserable for the rest of us who want to be here and deal with what it is.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banksock View Post
New Jersey has been the same old song and dance forever elect the same people in office and complain about the cost of living going up. Murphy is going to get reelected a lot of people agree with the long lockdown and his slow response to reopening the state.

I was supposed to use this summer to scope out Knoxville Tn i have some friends who lives out there this whole covid thing ruined it.

Exactly! They agree with anything he "orders" even if they have to go on an ordered "breathing schedule".

You can still scope out if not TN, some other state that actually follows the Constitution, Bill Of Rights, and have real 2nd amendment laws verses NJ that certain "leaders/politicians" who want to circumvent our founders laws and use people like zombie pawns IMO.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now Justice 81 View Post
For some, they have to leave New Jersey to appreciate it.....Cost of Living outside of home purchasing and property taxes is not more expensive than anywhere else on the East Coast. The property taxes and cost of housing is more than it should be; however, there are many counties, neighborhoods, and municipalities where this is an exception. I've seen it for years, people living beyond their means and blaming it on prices of stuff. Prices are high in most high density, highly populated places. Managing money, investing, budgeting, and proper planning is an art and it's a work in progress for most of us. We all think about elements of cost at times, but that sh** don't burden me day in and day out when it's par for the course here. If anything, me and my wife's hustle just gets stronger. We're winning regardless..

And of course, you should never live where you don't want to live. If the cost or anything is too unbearable, people should leave and go where those things are not a burden day in and day out, cause then they make it miserable for the rest of us who want to be here and deal with what it is.

There's things to appreciate in NJ, but IMO NJ politics have dampened them.
For many they cannot manage their $ budgets from out of control state/local governments who keep on raising COL, unless one is "earning bank".
Soon enough IMO NJ will have only 2 classes of residents - the poor (working or not) and the wealthy, the middle class will be "dead and gone".
For many it'll come to that "you can't eat" whatever other NJ attributes are to them and they'll leave replaced by the affluent and the poor especially illegals that Murphy loves and cares for on the taxpayers back.
As you said and I agree that "people should leave and go where those things are not a burden day in and day out", but why would they be the ones "making it miserable for the rest of us" unless what you meant they didn't want to conform with the "club".

Last edited by atgss; 06-04-2020 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: added to my post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey