Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 01:21 PM

130 posts, read 290,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl08 View Post
This is what we have started talking about? We have always said we would live in NJ and we looked at mostly central Bergen but we have also been looking all the way up north like Mahwah, Montvale and Park Ridge. We are starting to wonder if we flip onto the NY side into Airmont or Suffern or those type of areas, maybe we can get a tax break.
I'm starting to wonder too. I've looked on Realtor.com for Port Jervis listings and even some of the PA listings like Milford just to see if I can get an idea if taxes would be easier to manage in those places. It's still close enough to NJ; same with the Airmont or Suffern areas. I'd still be able to come into NJ easily for what I want but I'd have to also look at the cost of that 'commuting'. The gsmls.com site is great because it lists the taxes for each house. I haven't found anything like that for other areas that lists the taxes so it's hard for me to compare. How did the state of NJ get to be so expensive that it's basically chasing people away and keeping people out. That's sad because it is such a great place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 01:35 PM

130 posts, read 290,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
I know the pain. I'm absolutely in love with NJ. Probably to the point where it's sickening for those around me ..
I'm sure everyone around me is tired of hearing me talk about NJ all the time. And I'm sure they're tired of hearing me talk about wanting to move all the time.

Quote:
I have friends both here, and in NJ/NY. So they're all tugging at me, as well...
What struck me was how strongly some of the folks felt about moving back to NJ and not moving back to NJ. The ones that don't want me to move back are very strong in their opinions against it as if it some terrible thing I'm about to do and will regret it forever. The ones that do think I should move back think I'm crazy for remaining in the south for even an extra second and can't understand why it's taking me so long to get back. One set of friends is going to be very happy and one set is going to be very upset with me when I do move.

Quote:
and each time I fall more for it, and it becomes harder to leave..
I stayed an extra day when I was up there in December because it was so hard to leave. I hated driving down that turpike and crossing the Del Mem Bridge.

Quote:
I wish you could just pack up the loved ones, make it so they were happy, and drag 'em along. Sadly, my mother hates the cold (part of the reason we left MI), and won't come along.
That I understand. I would be leaving some family here that will not be coming along and that's very difficult. That's a major tug on my heart strings and accounts for a lot of my hesitation and flip flopping. It's really hard to move even though I want to very badly. Then there's the old nasty issue of high taxes staring me in the face and getting me worried all over again.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:31 AM

2 posts, read 6,790 times
I moved away and now I want to move back. I feel very isolated where I live now. I am trying to get my old job back

Old 07-16-2010, 06:53 AM

53 posts, read 202,849 times
I unfortunately moved back to NJ after living in Charlotte for 19 years and it has hurt us financially and i will be moving back South when I retire in 6-8 years. We had to leave a beautiful 3200 sq ft Brick home with custom everything at 296,000 and 2800.00 a year taxes on a half acre lot and moved to Tinton Falls NJ to a 2100 sq ft house we paid 619,000 and 10k in taxes which has dropped in value according to Zillow to 522,000 but still 10k in taxes.
Economy has hurt us from a Real Estate perspective and my fear the houses will continue to drop and taxes will continue to rise.
I will be forced to move once again due to the cost of living back "home".

Old 07-16-2010, 07:33 AM

429 posts, read 931,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudsonhawk View Post
I unfortunately moved back to NJ after living in Charlotte for 19 years and it has hurt us financially and i will be moving back South when I retire in 6-8 years. We had to leave a beautiful 3200 sq ft Brick home with custom everything at 296,000 and 2800.00 a year taxes on a half acre lot and moved to Tinton Falls NJ to a 2100 sq ft house we paid 619,000 and 10k in taxes which has dropped in value according to Zillow to 522,000 but still 10k in taxes.
Economy has hurt us from a Real Estate perspective and my fear the houses will continue to drop and taxes will continue to rise.
I will be forced to move once again due to the cost of living back "home".
Now that your property taxes can't increase more than 2% per year you should be fine. Send a letter of gratitude to Governor Christie. In 10 years, it could be as low as $12,000 per year for you.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:16 AM

332 posts, read 990,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj_guy1975 View Post
I wouldn't live in the South either. Have you considered other parts of the country: Southwest, Colorado, Midwest or Wisconsin? I'm just saying - there are many other parts of the country where you might find many of the "northern" culture aspects you enjoy, without the huge property/income tax burden of the NY-metro area (which, sadly includes just about all of NJ).
I second this idea, only we're looking to stay east of the Mississippi-my wife and I are looking at our options for moving to Maine, but it won't be for a while. Our current plan is to buy about 80 acres and build a small cabin that we can go to for long weekends, summers, etc...and then "retire" (we'll still have to find some income up there, but some sort of retail job will do just fine) up there. We plan to live in the cabin while we build a permanent home on the property-once we move into that the cabin could also become an income generator-heck we might even build a few more for that purpose. Maine has all of the advantages of the South (low taxes, open space, less regulation, etc...) without the brutal heat and humidity.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:33 PM

147 posts, read 389,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2jersey View Post
After ten years in the South I want to move back to NJ in the worst way but am starting to get case of cold feet due to fear of high and rising property taxes. I've seen some decent looking, affordable small homes on gsmls.com with reasonable (for NJ) property taxes that are doable for me right now. My fear is that if I move back, in 10-15 years time, the now 'reasonable' property taxes will have skyrocketed and not be manageable. I don't want to move back only to have to move away again in 10-15 years because of even higher property taxes that I won't be able to afford someday. The other part of that fear is wondering if I will be stuck with a house that I will have a very difficult time selling because of the high taxes in the state. There seems to be such an exodus to NC and other parts south because of the higher cost of living in NJ and fear of it becoming more expensive that I'm almost becoming scared off of buying anything now. Has anyone moved back to NJ only to move away again because of the high taxes? Or have they really regretted their move back? Or were the high taxes enough to sway people's minds to move elsewhere instead of moving back to NJ. If so, where did they go and were they happy settling for someplace less expensive. Or has anyone moved back despite the high taxes, is happy with their decision and feels that even though taxes may increaase, it will be at a reasonable and manageable amount that they'll be able to afford it in their retirement years without having to flee to the Carolinas. There's no place like home and I want to come home to NJ but just don't know if I'll be able to stay there in 10-15 years time if taxes keep rising. Anyone else experience this feeling?

I moved back to NJ years ago after living in the south and have regretted it ever since. My family was here then but have all died since. It's not just the taxes, but there wasn't all the restrictive laws and regulations in the south. Now I'm not sure if I'm going to afford my retirement here. Property taxes eat up over a third of my income.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:45 PM

205 posts, read 692,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGraeme View Post
I moved back to NJ years ago after living in the south and have regretted it ever since.
Just curious, where in the south did you live and where in NJ did you move to?

Did you move for a job or to close to family?

Old 07-17-2010, 07:01 AM

96 posts, read 284,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdecapio View Post
back2jersey,

I would take the risk and head back to Jersey if I were you. I know what you mean about the south. It is a different world. Currently in Jacksonville, I long to get back to the northeast, I don't care how cold it is. The northern culture is worth the cold and the taxes.
I retired to Florida and after two years I moved back. I haven't complained about the cold weather, snow or sleet. I'm that happy being back!

Old 07-17-2010, 10:05 AM

13 posts, read 32,973 times
I live in Charlotte now,but would move back to New Jersey if I could.You just can't beat the culture and sophistication of New Jersey!You could be in the middle of nowhere and not be more than 10 minutes from civilization!Also the food choices are unbelievable,anything you want,anytime!You have rolling hills,farms,great towns,beautiful neighborhoods,great food,the ocean and those cool towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey