Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 02:05 PM

9 posts, read 10,056 times

Advertisements

To Docendo and Ivan.....thank you so so much for your positive remarks and all your feedback and I will for sure check out those sites and keep my chin up! Thank you again!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 03:08 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
what is a great "main stream special ed program"?
im not passing judgment, im curious what this means. is this a program where they keep a kid with some kind of issue (behavioral) with the regular class and somehow offers additional assistance?

Old 02-06-2017, 09:14 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mduffy75 View Post
Wow! I don't know who the hell you are but you have some nerve saying his family is a disaster. His dad and I are great friends and we coparent our children together. The moves were due to my exhusbands job. Our own attorneys have never seen a smoother divorce. My son has aspergers. He's had trouble since age 1 way before any divorce and meets 70 of the 88 listed characteristics to some degree. You can go screw. He comes from an amazingly loving home where both his dad and I do nothing but sacrifice for him since his birth. There is no mother who doesn't work harder for her children then me!!!
LOL, seriously. Four effing moves and a divorce? You expect your kid to be normal? Guess again.

My sister dealt with the kiddie mind screw--ending in the early teens. I dealt with the teenager--after my husband died. That wasn't pretty.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:20 AM

516 posts, read 1,005,731 times
Quote:
im not passing judgment, im curious what this means. is this a program where they keep a kid with some kind of issue (behavioral) with the regular class and somehow offers additional assistance?
I'm not sure about the OP's case, but in general, there is a law that states students must be in the "least restrictive environment" LRE. Which means, in order to be placed into a special classroom of other austistic children for example, the district needs to show that the child was first placed in the general classroom unsuccessfully. You cannot start special education services by requesting a one-on-one aide, etc. you must go through the rungs and escalate only when you show that your child had no progress or is actually doing worse in less restrictive environment.

The first step on the ladder is usually stay in the regular classroom for all regular instructions and be pulled out for group therapy sessions (with speech, physical, OT, etc) a few times a week. I suspect that's what the OP's son is receiving.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:28 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,789,495 times
Quote:
Not just behavioral....

The "Least Restrictive Environment" applies to any type of learning disability.

If possible and effective, the child has the right to learn in the "least restrictive environment" which would normally be the mainstream (regular) classroom with peers. The special education child would usually have some support from a classroom aide, who is in addition to the teacher, and who may support just this child or several children with various needs.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:35 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Quote:
...he's now struggling with classmates and constantly getting in trouble.
Quote:
..a better school district for him where he can start fresh with...all new kids
Quote:
Homeschooling is not real life....my son needs to learn how real relationships go on the daily.
"Real relationships" at school do not always go smoothly. Did they when you were in school? Sometimes kids don't like other kids for no good reason. Cliques form. You know this. It seems like you want an idyllic classroom situation, which almost never happens. But good luck to you.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:05 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,922,819 times
Oh hey I know what you should do- write a personal note to trumps newly minted secretary of education Betsy DeVos and explain your situation-I hear she knows all about public schools- let us know what she says.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:48 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
Oh hey I know what you should do- write a personal note to trumps newly minted secretary of education Betsy DeVos and explain your situation-I hear she knows all about public schools- let us know what she says.
You just can't get over that he won, can you? Good time to be alive!

Old 02-11-2017, 04:08 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
You just can't get over that he won, can you?
Betsy DeVos is a tranny? (Not that it matters...)
I had no idea!

You heard it here first, courtesy of Marc.

Last edited by Retriever; 02-11-2017 at 04:49 PM..

Old 02-16-2017, 09:13 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
Don't sweat it, lady. Who the hell cares what a real estate agent thinks? Dude doesn't even have kids. You need to connect with other PARENTS who have a similar situation, who have actual real-life experience and first-hand knowledge of various school districts.

FYI, this is a mostly garbage real estate forum where unhappy, disgruntled current NJ residents come to either complain about property taxes (yet loooove to bicker about how their school district is 1/2 a point higher on some school ranking-of-the-week list), or talk out of their arses about politics. The other posts are all from former NJ residents troll-bragging about how their current home state has $1000/year taxes, 100% efficient and citizen-first governments, no traffic whatsoever, year-round 72 degree weather, and everyone farts rainbows.

LOL. Then there are some of us who won't answer on a thread like this because WE KNOW we don't have the experience or the information to offer you. We wish you well, though.

But...yeah, don't pay any mind to the self-important, anti-social real estate dude. Nobody takes him seriously, trust me. There are people who find gratification in being contrary and seek arguments by creating deliberate discord in their interactions with others. The subject at hand doesn't really matter. What is important to him is the reaction he gets from the "look-at-me, I-will-get-attention-by-being-oppositional" mentality behind the behavior. There is never, ever, any honest, useful, back-and-forth dialogue with this person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey