Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2017, 01:46 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,225,147 times

Advertisements

If you own a two/three-family house, do you just have one electric meter per unit? Or do you also have a house meter for the common areas?

I want to remove the house meter and roll the common-area costs into my personal PSE&G account, but my electrician says that PSE&G is resisting. They are requiring extremely expensive work -- more than five times what my electrician originally estimated just to pull the meter and reroute the wiring to my breaker box -- and may require me to reinstall the house meter if I sell the house. Has anyone had experience with this? I think PSE&G is being that way because rates for the commercial (house) account are much higher and they don't want to lose the revenue, which is exactly why I want to remove the meter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 10:57 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,530,686 times
Since the house is owner occupied, maybe they can change how the bill is classified?

I live in a condo, that were garden apartments. The garages are a separate building and have their own electric meters. When I first moved in PSEG required a large deposit as it was "commercial". The bill says garage #xxx, after I was here a while they returned my deposit, it was 18yrs ago. I do think I explained the situation to them when I first set up service. I do get billed separately since there are two meters, it seems a waste because the amount of electricity used in the garage is never more than what's allowed with the monthly service charge

Old 02-14-2017, 06:41 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,206,528 times
Doesn't make a lot of sense; you should just be able to have PSEG pull the meter; anything on your side of the meter is not for them to make rules about (beyond the NEC). It appears the residential tariff allows 2-3 family houses to put "incidental common-use equipment" on one of the unit's meters.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:55 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,143,006 times
I used to live in a 4-family brownstone walkup in Jersey City. There were 5 total electric meters - 1 for each unit, and a separate one for the common areas. That allowed PSEG to bill each apartment separately, plus a separate bill to the landlord to pay for the common areas (basically just a few hallway lights).

Old 08-29-2018, 09:20 AM

2 posts, read 4,600 times
Default same issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
If you own a two/three-family house, do you just have one electric meter per unit? Or do you also have a house meter for the common areas?

I want to remove the house meter and roll the common-area costs into my personal PSE&G account, but my electrician says that PSE&G is resisting. They are requiring extremely expensive work -- more than five times what my electrician originally estimated just to pull the meter and reroute the wiring to my breaker box -- and may require me to reinstall the house meter if I sell the house. Has anyone had experience with this? I think PSE&G is being that way because rates for the commercial (house) account are much higher and they don't want to lose the revenue, which is exactly why I want to remove the meter.
i have the same problem. how did you get it resolved? can they change from " commerical' to "residential"?

Old 09-02-2018, 07:10 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,225,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattire2016 View Post
i have the same problem. how did you get it resolved? can they change from " commerical' to "residential"?
Ha! I forgot I posted this a year and a half ago, so I'm reading the OP and thinking Wow! I have the exact same situation! But it turns out it was me.

No, I haven't resolved it. I keep meaning to bring the electrician out and move some circuits from the house meter to my personal meter, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: