Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 08:24 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times

Advertisements

I was wondering why private schools like MKS, Morristown Beard, Delbarton, Oak Knoll, Kent etc. have so much pricing power, with tuitions nearly the same as the most expensive academies in Manhattan. One reason is that there are enough people in NJ who are more than happy to pay for the high fees.

Is Private School Worth It? That's an Essay Question.
New York Times
May 16, 1999
(website) Is Private School Worth It? That's an Essay Question - Parents and Educators Agree the Beauty Is in the Choices, But Studies Show High Achievers Will Do Well Anywhere - NYTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 09:09 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
I think it's just as simple as people can afford it and want the prestige.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:31 PM

465 posts, read 606,848 times
Lots of parents who send their kids to those schools work in Manhattan so it's not surprising that the tuitions are comparable to the NY private schools.

Is it worth it? Depends on the public school district you are in, and it depends on how much money you have. If you are rolling in it, the law of diminishing returns does not affect you - you will have no problem paying for the best.

Private schools of that caliber do have teachers with superior academic pedigrees. Doesn't always translate to exceptional teaching skills, but it counts for something.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:30 AM

862 posts, read 974,693 times
I think many of the parents who send their kids to private live in diverse area's like Montclair or Morristown, but do not want their kids going to school with the kids who do not need to use sunblock in the summer.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:40 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the South View Post
Private schools of that caliber do have teachers with superior academic pedigrees. Doesn't always translate to exceptional teaching skills, but it counts for something.
One of the most ignorant response's I have ever read.

Last edited by G1..; 03-08-2017 at 03:51 AM..

Old 03-08-2017, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I was wondering why private schools like MKS, Morristown Beard, One reason is that tDelbarton, Oak Knoll, Kent etc. have so much pricing power, with tuitions nearly the same as the most expensive academies in Manhattan.here are enough people in NJ who are more than happy to pay for the high fees.

Is Private School Worth It? That's an Essay Question.
New York Times
May 16, 1999
(website) Is Private School Worth It? That's an Essay Question - Parents and Educators Agree the Beauty Is in the Choices, But Studies Show High Achievers Will Do Well Anywhere - NYTimes.com

One,you seem almost indignant that NJ Privet schools dare to charge the same as you put it"with tuitions nearly the same as the most expensive academies in Manhattan."If you would look to see that the schools you named are as good if not better than the New York Academy's"
Two, you seem to answer your own question,so what is your point?

Three,people send their children to these schools for a multitude of different reason ,one off the bat is religion as you have named two very elite Catholic schools on your list and other parents might have their own reasons .Many of these schools don't get restricted by the same rules that public schools are with the goverment and Boards of Education.

Old 03-08-2017, 04:44 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
One,you seem almost indignant that NJ Privet schools dare to charge the same as you put it"with tuitions nearly the same as the most expensive academies in Manhattan."If you would look to see that the schools you named are as good if not better than the New York
One key difference - NYC does not have as many "good" open/zoned admissions public schools as NJ. You would need to go through the magnet and specialized school process so fewer public options helps drive demand and high tuitions for private schools there. Property taxes are lower also, and families who send to private school typically have 1 to 2 kids only.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 03-08-2017 at 04:53 AM..

Old 03-08-2017, 05:49 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the South View Post
Lots of parents who send their kids to those schools work in Manhattan so it's not surprising that the tuitions are comparable to the NY private schools.

Is it worth it? Depends on the public school district you are in, and it depends on how much money you have. If you are rolling in it, the law of diminishing returns does not affect you - you will have no problem paying for the best.

I'm willing to bet most people who send their kids to these schools can easily afford it. Otherwise, no, it's not worth it and it's stupid considering if they can afford these schools, they're probably living in towns with great public schools and don't need to even spend the money.

I knew kids who went to religious, usually Catholic, schools like Mount St. Mary's or Saint Joe's. But I didn't know any Delbarton or Oak Knoll people.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I'm willing to bet most people who send their kids to these schools can easily afford it. Otherwise, no, it's not worth it and it's stupid considering if they can afford these schools, they're probably living in towns with great public schools and don't need to even spend the money.

I knew kids who went to religious, usually Catholic, schools like Mount St. Mary's or Saint Joe's. But I didn't know any Delbarton or Oak Knoll people.

Delbarton, Oak Knoll,Pingry,Kent Place,Newark Academy,Morristown Beard,Ranney School,Christian Brothers Academy,Princeton Day ,Lawrenceville Academy,Gill/St,Bernard's,Oratory Prep,The Peddie School and Rutgers Prep.Are just some you all so have other privet high schools that for one reason or another are not considerd "elite" like Red Bank Catholic,St.Rose in Belmar etc.I have known at different stages in my life people who attended these schools.I can not say that their education was better or worse than the education students received at Millburn,Chatham or Montclair.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:55 AM

255 posts, read 455,371 times
What would possibly make the education better at those schools? Do they use some secret textbooks or have some mysterious lesson plans no one else knows about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey