Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 10:28 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
The water in southern Maine is cold, I can only imagine how cold it must be in Canada. Even in August Maine water rarely hits 70.
The area they are talking about has water temps pushing 80 typically in the summer. This is because the water is warmed by the shallowness of the northumberland strait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 10:41 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
The area they are talking about has water temps pushing 80 typically in the summer. This is because the water is warmed by the shallowness of the northumberland strait.
That's unexpected. Interesting.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:32 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
The water in southern Maine is cold, I can only imagine how cold it must be in Canada. Even in August Maine water rarely hits 70.
I checked. It's not what I'd consider warm.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:45 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC1957 View Post
Well I hate crowds and traffic so I go North to the beach, even though I have the NJ and DE shores within 70mins go figure.

Actually the water is warmer in PEI then Maine because of the Gulf Stream.

Gee was just making a suggestion....

We found PEI in 1985 and have been going back every few years, when we retired in 15 we spent the month of September on the island......beautiful. Oh yea we have also been to 49 states and 8 Canadian Provinces, Italy, France and the UK so we got that passport.
Yeah, but, come on. They live in Hershey and want to go the shore for a few days.

If they aren't dragging kids, and that's the impression I got, I'd suggest going in September.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:21 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,848,734 times
Avalon, Stone Harbor, IBSP-Seaside Park are all nice. Nice beaches with good beach to body ratios, especially during weekdays. Weekends are busier but still tolerable. Both areas are close to towns with busy boardwalks and places of interest....Seaside Park/Seaside Heights for IBSP (very close) and Cape May/Ocean City-Atlantic City for A-SH (a bit of a drive). These are all potential day trips.

Lodging/dining is more upscale and expensive in Avalon/Stone Harbor...but very nice. There is a group of family friendly hotel/motel/condos rentals clustered together where Avalon meets Stone Harbor near 79th St. I haven't compared prices among these places nor vs. DE but all the shore is pricey and pretty noisy in "the season". Use the web to shop the places...then call and chat with the desk a bit with any questions.

The "tone" is tonier in A-SH (nice upscale shops area...restaurants etc)...SSP-IBSP is less flashy but nice enough bunch more modest places and also some pricey restaurants. The SSH boardwalk is a noisier and younger party like culture. Kids might like that more if you can take it IBSP has a beautiful natural beach in the park itself plenty, you may have to pay admission daily (weekly?)...while some near beach motels will supply beach badges in some towns.

It probably isn't too late to book these places if you don't wait too long.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:34 PM

625 posts, read 796,919 times
you may want to search TripAdvisor or AirBnB for vacation rentals. You probably can find a rental for 5-7 days in the area you are interested in.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:10 AM

175 posts, read 223,082 times
Quote:
^^ Good to know there will be one less Jerseyite annoying people up in Maine and Canada this summer

Not everyone enjoys 90 degree weather with stifling humidity and terrible air quality like we receive in the good ol' GAHDEN STATE in the summer. Plus he said he was looking for a quiet place to relax with family. Maine and/or Atlantic Canada fit the bill perfectly so long as he is willing to endure a long drive or fly.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:13 AM

175 posts, read 223,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC1957 View Post
Well I hate crowds and traffic so I go North to the beach, even though I have the NJ and DE shores within 70mins go figure.

Actually the water is warmer in PEI then Maine because of the Gulf Stream.

Gee was just making a suggestion....

We found PEI in 1985 and have been going back every few years, when we retired in 15 we spent the month of September on the island......beautiful. Oh yea we have also been to 49 states and 8 Canadian Provinces, Italy, France and the UK so we got that passport.
This dude right here is living the life. Just out of curiosity, do you drive all the way up there or fly?

Old 03-16-2017, 11:46 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goeagles77 View Post
^^ Good to know there will be one less Jerseyite annoying people up in Maine and Canada this summer

Not everyone enjoys 90 degree weather with stifling humidity and terrible air quality like we receive in the good ol' GAHDEN STATE in the summer. Plus he said he was looking for a quiet place to relax with family. Maine and/or Atlantic Canada fit the bill perfectly so long as he is willing to endure a long drive or fly.
Just why do people do this?

Old 03-16-2017, 12:12 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
Quote:
Just why do people do this?
Ignorance (often willful ignorance)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey