Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 06:35 PM

145 posts, read 250,703 times

Advertisements

I been researching and reading a lot of various opinions on East Coast beach destinations and would like to get some additional input.

We are planning a week at the "shore" M-F and were focusing in on Cape May. Last year we went to Rehoboth and I'm sure it appeals to many, was just much too crowded and commercialized. I am not taking anything away from it, just not our idea of calm.

We are traveling from the Hershey, PA area so we were hoping to find something that offered just peace and the ocean.

We did end up going to the Delaware State Park area by the Indian River area; which we found to be nice.

I have been being told, Cape May or Stone Harbor? I also found Island Beach State Park, NJ that got very good reviews.

If we went to Island Beach where is it best to stay overnight?

Thanks for your replies... I was even considering traveling to NC to find just a tranquil place to spend time with family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 11:06 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gacri View Post
I been researching and reading a lot of various opinions on East Coast beach destinations and would like to get some additional input.

We are planning a week at the "shore" M-F and were focusing in on Cape May. Last year we went to Rehoboth and I'm sure it appeals to many, was just much too crowded and commercialized. I am not taking anything away from it, just not our idea of calm.

We are traveling from the Hershey, PA area so we were hoping to find something that offered just peace and the ocean.

We did end up going to the Delaware State Park area by the Indian River area; which we found to be nice.

I have been being told, Cape May or Stone Harbor? I also found Island Beach State Park, NJ that got very good reviews.

Thanks for your replies... I was even considering traveling to NC to find just a tranquil place to spend time with family.
You know that everything is booked and crowded in the summer. The southern end of LBI and Strathmere are pretty quiet.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:43 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gacri View Post

There is a hotel in South Seaside Park close to the entrance to Island Beach called the Island Beach Motor Lodge but I'm not sure of its quality or pricing. It's worth a google though. It has good reviews on google. There are some more nearby also, if you google "south seaside park hotels." Another is the Beach Club Hotel a couple blocks north. Island Beach is really nice but I'm pretty sure you'll have to drive in every day. I don't think you can walk into the park. But it's a very pretty beach. Very natural.

I have heard great things about Stone Harbor but I think it's more of a house renting destination. If you're only planning on going M-F you probably won't be able to find much to rent since most homes down the shore rent weekly, Saturday to Saturday normally. There are some hotels in Stone Harbor, though. Again, just google "stone harbor nj hotels" to get a quick look. A few of them seem very nice. Cape May is definitely better for someone looking to stay in a hotel as there are so many options. I don't know your price range for hotels but Congress Hall is always a great suggestion. Any place during the week will likely be a little calmer than it would be on the weekends, which is a good thing if you're only going M-F.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:35 PM

32 posts, read 60,173 times
Stone Harbor (and neighboring Avalon) is/are very laid back (and continues to get quieter) but it's a fortune to rent a house, and the hotels tend to be booked solid early on. It has a quaint downtown but is otherwise very chilled out compared to some other places. There is plenty to do (including a couple of bars on the island) but it's pretty easygoing as far as Jersey Shore places - but it's a premium.

The area right around Island Beach State Park (think it's part of Berkeley and Seaside Park) is also more laid back, at least more so than Seaside Heights to the north. It is definitely more residential, and the beaches are spectacular and you're only a stone's throw from Seaside Heights if you want some action. I remember Cape May having an older crowd, and the way that the waves break isn't conducive for body boarding and some water sports.

Other quieter places include Avon, Harvey Cedars, and Strathmere as mentioned before.

Old 03-14-2017, 12:35 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Harvey Cedars is quiet enough away from Long Beach Blvd., but there aren't any hotels or motels. Maybe Airbnb.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:10 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,002 times
Wildwood Crest is reasonably quiet, nice beach, hotels available, short ride to Cape May.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:26 AM

401 posts, read 426,643 times
If you really want to get away to place where you are the only one on the beach in August go North to Prince Edward Island in Canada. Beautiful red sand beaches, green rolling lush potatoe fields, fantastic locals, amazing seafood, warm water, amazing music, many lighthouses etc etc And with the strong American $ about 25-30% cheaper.

Check out this video on the beaches.

PEI Beaches Video Guide app connects tourists with Island beaches - Prince Edward Island - CBC News

Old 03-14-2017, 08:56 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,866,616 times
Provided they want to get everyone a passport. Provided that they want to make the 16 hour drive. Provided they find the North Atlantic waters warm enough.

People have different ideas of ideal beaches, if they're willing to travel to NC it sounds like they want warm sand and surf, not evenings in the 60's.
https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...ure-august.php

Maine has beautiful beaches as well, not to mention the same potatoes, locals, seafood, music and lighthouses, but it's not for everyone.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:43 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Provided they want to get everyone a passport. Provided that they want to make the 16 hour drive. Provided they find the North Atlantic waters warm enough.

People have different ideas of ideal beaches, if they're willing to travel to NC it sounds like they want warm sand and surf, not evenings in the 60's.
https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...ure-august.php

Maine has beautiful beaches as well, not to mention the same potatoes, locals, seafood, music and lighthouses, but it's not for everyone.
The water in southern Maine is cold, I can only imagine how cold it must be in Canada. Even in August Maine water rarely hits 70.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:56 AM

401 posts, read 426,643 times
Well I hate crowds and traffic so I go North to the beach, even though I have the NJ and DE shores within 70mins go figure.

Actually the water is warmer in PEI then Maine because of the Gulf Stream.

Gee was just making a suggestion....

We found PEI in 1985 and have been going back every few years, when we retired in 15 we spent the month of September on the island......beautiful. Oh yea we have also been to 49 states and 8 Canadian Provinces, Italy, France and the UK so we got that passport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey