Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2017, 12:50 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,246,109 times

Advertisements

Ok enough is enough. How do I stop this? How can I report this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 12:54 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Me, too. Since I have a 201 cell myself, even though I no longer live in 201, I tend to think it's someone I know and then I get those stupid calls about my non-existent credit card balances or the joy of learning that I can use another electric company.

My phone allows me to flag it as a sales call and asks if I want to block it. I guess that's Verizon doing that.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:05 PM

22 posts, read 23,405 times
Same here. Am on Do Not Call list for what its worth. Too many spammers to make complain on each of those numbers.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:53 PM

19,114 posts, read 25,309,475 times
The scammers who program those calls are almost surely spoofing "201" numbers. More than likely, I believe that they probably spoof regional area codes in all areas of the country.

Old 03-14-2017, 04:41 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,313,759 times
Lightbulb Seven steps to less nuisance calls

1. REGISTER YOUR NUMBER(S) ON THE NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
To register (or to verify a prior registration), here's the link: https://www.donotcall.gov/register/reg.aspx

2. FILE A COMPLAINT WITH THE F.T.C.
Presently there doesn't appear to be much law enforcement for "DO NOT CALL" lists. If you want to file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission, here's the link: https://complaints.donotcall.gov/com...aintcheck.aspx

3. USE A BLOCKING APP (like Hiya)
Yes, it's a nuisance. Part of my battle is to use the free Hiya app on my smart phone. (The app is mediocre. I wish it was smarter.) But it's current database of spammer and scammer phone numbers is in the hundreds of thousands. Adjust your setting correctly on the phone and they don't get through.

4. DON'T ANSWER THE CALL
If you don't recognize the number, don't answer it. Yes, you'll occasionally miss a call you'd rather have taken, but legitimate callers will leave you a message and you can call them back.

5. DON'T BECOME THEIR CUSTOMER!
What amazes me is how these jokers can stay in business. There's only one way and that's if the people they call become customers! (Yes, some cold-call targets actually buy the snake oil!) Make a pledge that You will NEVER buy anything from a telemarketer, and if you happen to get one on the phone, let them know of your displeasure. An acquaintance of mine keeps earplugs and an air horn near the phone to get his message across.

6. WRITE YOUR REPRESENTATIVES
Inform your representatives that you want the Do Not Call laws strengthened, removing exceptions for charities, political organizations, and telephone surveyors. DO NOT CALL should mean DO NOT CALL, PERIOD and any of these "lesser" nuisances are still a nuisance. Instead, let these organizations develop their own "opt-in" lists.

7. SPREAD THE WORD
Encourage your circle of influence to do likewise.

All that said, in an earlier post Retriever makes a good point. Often the number you see on your caller ID is not the number that the call is really coming from. Any ideas for solving that problem?

Old 03-14-2017, 05:49 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
The scammers who program those calls are almost surely spoofing "201" numbers. More than likely, I believe that they probably spoof regional area codes in all areas of the country.
I almost didn't pick one up the other day, then I recognized the prefix as a Fair Lawn number and realized it was my mother's dialysis center.

She is hard of hearing, so they do a semi-annual check-in call with me to go over her numbers and general state of kidney health. Or lack thereof, since they don't function anymore, which is why she has to go there.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:19 PM

22 posts, read 23,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
It sure is spoofing, because I called back and it was some unrelated individual

Old 03-14-2017, 07:51 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,530,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Ok enough is enough. How do I stop this? How can I report this?
They're spoofing the numbers, I seem to get them in spurts. I'll go a day or 2 without any then 5 in 2hrs. I also get them with 800 numbers, got one the caller ID said Algeria. Anne from cardmember services, Hilton Hotels, etc, etc. They use Voice over Internet and spoof the number. I'll press 1 sometimes and say insulting things about their mother. I've talked to some of them, one guy said he was in Pakistan, I told him he slept with goats.
You can report them through the FTC but it really just wastes your time. I get text messages for BS also, again not much you can do..... Eventually some of them do get caught, I think they busted a bunch in India a while ago.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:07 PM

532 posts, read 1,464,499 times
Get the MR.Number app.

It will block almost all of the telemarketers.
Also you can enter area codes you want blocked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: