Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 01:41 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeEC View Post
You started out well. I agree that parental involvement is probably the most important attribute of a school. However, I can't agree with your final point. I went to Rutgers in the late 90s. I met people from all over NJ. From stories I heard, drug use was most rampant in the more affluent communities. They had the money to buy whatever they wanted. Nearly all the kids had cars so it was no bid deal to drive into the city to score what they needed.
i was exaggerating. i dont believe drug use is more rampant in affluent communities and i dont really care. the more important thing is what do their parents do for a living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 02:42 PM

15 posts, read 13,079 times
Easy. Westfield. NJT, PATH, WTC

1) Easy commute to WTC NYC (>45 minutes, public transport, daily commute to work) Yes.
2) Excellent public school district (i.e. top 1% of high school graduates routinely get into Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc) Yes. Ninety-seven percent of Westfield High School grads continuing education | NJ.com
3) Kids friendly: professional gymnastic, ice hockey Yes.
4) easy weekend access to philadelphia and bergen county (fair lawn) Yes.
5) budget: ~800k for a 3br/3ba 2500-3300 sq.ft. Yes.
6) trader joes/costco nearby Yes. Trader Joe's right in town.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:57 PM

351 posts, read 482,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyCentral View Post
Easy. Westfield. NJT, PATH, WTC

1) Easy commute to WTC NYC (>45 minutes, public transport, daily commute to work) Yes.
2) Excellent public school district (i.e. top 1% of high school graduates routinely get into Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc) Yes. Ninety-seven percent of Westfield High School grads continuing education | NJ.com
3) Kids friendly: professional gymnastic, ice hockey Yes.
4) easy weekend access to philadelphia and bergen county (fair lawn) Yes.
5) budget: ~800k for a 3br/3ba 2500-3300 sq.ft. Yes.
6) trader joes/costco nearby Yes. Trader Joe's right in town.
Be careful with this home owner, city official or realtor, 100% of its posts have only been to promote Westfield.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:00 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nx View Post
Be careful with this home owner, city official or realtor, 100% of its posts have only been to promote Westfield.
i have traced their IP address to this location: 59 Court Street, Rm 202, Westfield, MA 01085

Old 03-21-2017, 06:57 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i have traced their IP address to this location: 59 Court Street, Rm 202, Westfield, MA 01085
ROTFL. Westfields' mayors stick together, do they?

Old 03-22-2017, 01:38 PM

15 posts, read 13,079 times
Quote:
Are you referring to me or the link? It's an NJ.com/Suburban News article.

Old 03-22-2017, 04:14 PM

4 posts, read 12,099 times
I would suggest looking into Ridgewood, glen rock or fair lawn (radburn). 30-38 minute (depending on town) express trains to Hoboken which I believe is comparable if not closer than the midtown direct train from towns with solid schools. 2 added benefits are that the train is direct to Hoboken and timetables generally much more reliable than trains going into ny penn bc 1) the trains are on less busy routes and 2) they run on diesel so there are fewer issues with electricity/outages v. midtown direct lines. Timetables are generally accurate while I have heard from a few commuters on the direct/electric lines that they need tack on 5-10 minutes (pls correct me if I'm wrong).

Old 03-22-2017, 04:24 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Majority of recommendations here are by realtors and agents and they troll knocking other towns that are much better bargains. I don't bother recommending at all since I do enjoy my 45min commute to WTC and less hectic commute and pay far less property taxes than Westfield.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:15 PM

19 posts, read 42,456 times
Cresskill or Tenafly.

Hop in the bus over the bridge and take the A downtown.

Or, drive into the city over the GWB (quick drive if you stick to 9w and hudson terrace), take riverside drive to the UWS and park in a garage and take the 2 train on down. Why the UWS? Because you can avoid the bulk of the commuting traffic. It isn't a typical commute (most people who drive in battle the traffic to get close to their offices) but we find it works great.

But -- it won't be under an hour.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:25 PM

15 posts, read 25,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I appreciate your enthusiasm for my hometown (North Bergen) but the schools are not really a selling point. Also, the area you're referring to, near Tonnelle Ave is really not the best in town.
I personally home school my 5 children, when I say, "the schools are great" its because both of my nieces were raised in North Bergen and went to public schools here. They now attending Cornell and Columbia... As for the area near Tonnelle, its super busy and it isn't for everyone but if your a person who commutes into the city on a daily basis and needs options and an easy commute its a good option also being that I've lived near hear before and never see much action as far as crime goes that's a plus... Suggestions aren't to be dissected they are suggestions and should be taken for what they are.. (Just saying)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey