Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 09:27 AM

19,122 posts, read 25,320,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenaga View Post
Most places I look, the property taxes are ridiculous.
...and the situation becomes truly bizarre when a homeowner has to deal with incompetent/unscrupulous/just plain crooked municipal tax authorities. In this case, a Maplewood homeowner was screwed with both incorrectly-inflated assessments and triple billing for his taxes:

Bamboozled: Property taxes double after phantom additions to appraisal | NJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 10:12 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,495,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Buy a smaller house. We certainly pay less than seven grand for our 3br in Cranford
Really? 7 seems to the bottom here in my town (average NJ suburb) That's for a 1300 sf ranch on .25 acres. To go lower you need to go to a townhouse or condo

Old 03-20-2017, 10:12 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,276,409 times
We've made lifestyle changes. Hard, but worth it to have the kids in a good school and be close enough to NYC for my husband to commute. We bought a 3 bedroom, even though we have three kids (and two big dogs). Boys complain sometimes about sharing a room, but oh well. They have a place to sleep that's warm. We don't eat out/order in more than twice a month. I'm really careful about stocking up on groceries we use while they're on sale. I don't get pedicures anymore. We just found a trash service that charges 40% less than the one we previously had. I shop at a consignment store for a lot of my kids' clothing. You get the idea.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:26 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,826,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
I wish my tax is 8k.

I would advise you not to buy until after the next governor take office. While under Christie 2.5% cap, my tax has increased over 30% in 7 years. Just imagine when the cap is removed and rate go to 6 to 8% a year.

2.5% is only state, then towns will gladly takes it's own pie.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:31 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,826,999 times
Mine was $8k in 2005, it's now $14k. One good thing about it, is that taxes are tax deductible.

After deductions, it's around $10k.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:35 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,866,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Really? 7 seems to the bottom here in my town (average NJ suburb) That's for a 1300 sf ranch on .25 acres. To go lower you need to go to a townhouse or condo
Or, wait for it: a smaller single family home on a smaller lot.

If you want to pay less in taxes buy a smaller home. Yes, you're going to be missing out on the large room to put the wet bar in and there's not going to be space for the hot tub next to the pool, but when taxes are going to be a huge part of the equation, buying a smaller house that is actually affordable means you can actually make it work.

Yes, we do not own the biggest house in town, but I'm super happy that my taxes are half that of the guy around the corner who purchased two lots side by side and then plunked a massive McMansion on it. He admits he never uses his great room and is annoyed by the cost of the maid they had to hire to keep the entire first floor clean in case anyone stops by, but those are choices they made. Nobody else has to make those choices, and in the meantime I use the same library, the same schools, and spend half as much on lawn care and everything else. Not to mention that he's already talking about downsizing in a few years when the kids are out of high school.

You can buy the Porsche but not afford the insurance or you can get the Ford and be able to drive it. It's all about the priorities. There are houses with less than seven grand in taxes per year.

Last edited by jaymoney; 03-20-2017 at 10:47 AM..

Old 03-20-2017, 10:36 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times
Mine are $6k and there was a time that taxes in my area were reasonable. Lots of blue collar families with a decent school. At the time, we were considered a little too far west to make it desirable for NYC workers. Unfortunately, the area has gone a change over the decade+ and the affluence has climb quite a bit. Part of the reason is we live in a town with direct NJ transit service to NYC. That has coincided with the rise of property tax.

My wife and I don't want to leave so we've made the lifestyle choice to simply make our starter-home of 1000sq/ft, 2 bed, 1 bath work for our 5 person family. Leaves a lot of discretionary income and savings. We've also resisted the idea of expanding renovating simply to avoid the jump in property taxes. So while a lot of people who have newer built, recently built homes have doubled in property tax, ours has gone up $2k over the last 15+ years. We fought the last re-assessment and lost even though our home has had zero renovations.

A lot of the people that moved in about the same time we did or earlier are leaving. Being displaced because even a few hundred rise year over year is difficult for people who are retired or working lower skilled jobs that simply haven't kept up with the rise of COL.

I certainly won't be retiring here.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:04 PM

127 posts, read 160,539 times
I live in Middletown Township and my 2017 property assessment = the land value increased $55,000 and the house less than $1,500. My taxes were ~$8,000 for 2016. With the new assessment, I will exceed $10,000 based on 2016 ratable rate. For the last three years since the 2% standard was enacted - my taxes increased 6, 10 and now 20% year over year, respectively. I moved here in 2003 and my taxes were ~$3,800.

The biggest loophole is they now change your assessment annually and people moving in the area purchased homes at significantly higher prices due to low interest rates. So your taxes are assessed based on comparable rate in Monmouth County. I can appeal but the lawyer will charge me $375 and I will save ~$450 on my taxes. It is not worth it considering the time of going to the lawyer and tax appeal process.

I will be moving out of NJ within the next two years, most probably to SC or Northern GA coastline.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:00 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
My taxes are $1500 a year. But then again, I don't live in New Jersey any longer.

In 2001, I purchased a home in Medford (Southern NJ) and the property taxes were $3700 a year when I moved in. 4 years later they hit 7k. I surrendered. Life's too short.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:20 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,495,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Or, wait for it: a smaller single family home on a smaller lot.
How do you go much smaller than a 1300 sf lot on .25 acres? I guess you can go to a smaller lot size. Our lots in this town don't go smaller than 0.2. Again, I'm talking single families only

I just looked up our old house in a southern Bergen County town
800 sf on 0.1 acre...over $7000 a year in tax!

What are your taxes, square footage and lot size?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey