Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-05-2008, 02:52 PM
 
6 posts, read 26,568 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend car insurer with lowest rates for nj?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-05-2008, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Brunswick, ME (Hometown: Newark, N.J.)
170 posts, read 477,251 times
Reputation: 111
I don't see why. I mean, I damn near get a stroke when I drive through NY, out of fear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2008, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Stewartsville, NJ
7,577 posts, read 22,604,405 times
Reputation: 1260
I have State Farm - they are pretty reasonable... Geico is cheap but I've heard horror stories when it comes to paying claims - NJM is another good choice if you can get them through your place of employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2008, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
180 posts, read 701,953 times
Reputation: 69
Default what is a good rate here?

While we are at it, what is a good rate in this state? I've recently moved here but haven't started shopping around yet. I know it can vary greatly depending on your options, but in general- what is a good rate for typical coverage? This would be for northcentral NJ. Right now I have ERIE insurance in Pennsylvania and pay $1400/yr for me and my husband, we are both 31, have no kids (so no young drivers), standard coverage for comp & collision and probably a $250 deductible for a 2003 saturn and a 2006 dodge truck, and a discount b/c we have homwoners ins through ERIE too. We both have clean driving records for at least 3 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2008, 03:06 PM
 
Location: Stewartsville, NJ
7,577 posts, read 22,604,405 times
Reputation: 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy205 View Post
While we are at it, what is a good rate in this state? I've recently moved here but haven't started shopping around yet. I know it can vary greatly depending on your options, but in general- what is a good rate for typical coverage? This would be for northcentral NJ. Right now I have ERIE insurance in Pennsylvania and pay $1400/yr for me and my husband, we are both 31, have no kids (so no young drivers), standard coverage for comp & collision and probably a $250 deductible for a 2003 saturn and a 2006 dodge truck, and a discount b/c we have homwoners ins through ERIE too. We both have clean driving records for at least 3 years.
Oh boy Paddy - you are in for a shock! Are both cars still under bank loans? I pay around $1000/yr per new car - and that's because I have 5 cars through my ins. co. plus homeowners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2008, 03:08 PM
 
Location: NJ
12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Reputation: 5331
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy205 View Post
While we are at it, what is a good rate in this state? I've recently moved here but haven't started shopping around yet. I know it can vary greatly depending on your options, but in general- what is a good rate for typical coverage? This would be for northcentral NJ. Right now I have ERIE insurance in Pennsylvania and pay $1400/yr for me and my husband, we are both 31, have no kids (so no young drivers), standard coverage for comp & collision and probably a $250 deductible for a 2003 saturn and a 2006 dodge truck, and a discount b/c we have homwoners ins through ERIE too. We both have clean driving records for at least 3 years.
$1400 sounds about right for NJ too, assuming you are in a somewhat safe suburban area. Maybe a tad higher.

I pay between $550-$600/yr per car for 3 - 2 1998 sedans and a 2006 small SUV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2008, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Stewartsville, NJ
7,577 posts, read 22,604,405 times
Reputation: 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilthySailor View Post
I don't see why. I mean, I damn near get a stroke when I drive through NY, out of fear.
You know what I always say..."if you don't like the way I drive then stay off the sidewalk"....lol - I agree, I don't think NJ drivers are that bad? You would think you would see an accident on every corner and every exit on 80 everyday the way they talk about NJ drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2008, 03:09 PM
 
Location: NJ
12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Reputation: 5331
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyny View Post
Can anyone recommend car insurer with lowest rates for nj?
to answer your title question, it depends on where in NY and where in NJ you are comparing.

Check with your place of employment to see if you can get NJM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2008, 03:10 PM
 
Location: High Bridge
2,736 posts, read 9,669,512 times
Reputation: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
I have State Farm - they are pretty reasonable... Geico is cheap but I've heard horror stories when it comes to paying claims - NJM is another good choice if you can get them through your place of employment.
I have a 9 month horror story with state farm. Lied repeatedly, stalled and delayed, lied some more, we lawyered up, they tried to lie and he quoted the law and the insurance agreement, they stalled some more....

Finally got the check today. Accident happened in May of 2007, and all that worthless stalling over a 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse - its not like it was alot of money, just a few thousand.

To the OP, try esurance. I'm happy with them so far, been using them for about 1-2 yrs or so now (maybe three? I dont remember).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2008, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Stewartsville, NJ
7,577 posts, read 22,604,405 times
Reputation: 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
I have a 9 month horror story with state farm. Lied repeatedly, stalled and delayed, lied some more, we lawyered up, they tried to lie and he quoted the law and the insurance agreement, they stalled some more....

Finally got the check today. Accident happened in May of 2007, and all that worthless stalling over a 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse - its not like it was alot of money, just a few thousand.

To the OP, try esurance. I'm happy with them so far, been using them for about 1-2 yrs or so now (maybe three? I dont remember).
Was it State Farm or your agent? I've had nothing but positive experiences with them - maybe it's my agent - they are really great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top