Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 09:18 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,445,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I think a lot of people on this forum spend a little time in a town without really getting to know it, and they see what they want to see. OP, I think you need to spend more time in these towns. I worked in Montclair for 10 years. I know the town very well, and I can tell you that your impression is very far off the mark. People in Montclair of all races and ethnicities socialize with each other all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Considering Montclair has the highest rating for interracial families in the country, I suspect your observations are just plain old wrong.
It is true I haven't spend much time in Montclair or South Orange. However people who lived here tell me how segregated it is. For example, I remember a kid who went to Montclair High School saying how they tried to segregate the kids in the high school and how the upper floor was more white but the bottom floor was more black. I remember a girl who used to live in South Orange saying how his dad didn't like it there because they tried to segregate the white kids from the black kids in school. I don't know why they tried to segregate them, maybe it was to ease tensions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 09:29 AM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
It is true I haven't spend much time in Montclair or South Orange. However people who lived here tell me how segregated it is. For example, I remember a kid who went to Montclair High School saying how they tried to segregate the kids in the high school and how the upper floor was more white but the bottom floor was more black. I remember a girl who used to live in South Orange saying how his dad didn't like it there because they tried to segregate the white kids from the black kids in school. I don't know why they tried to segregate them, maybe it was to ease tensions.
Well, people like to say things just to try to be interesting.

I have several friends with kids in the Montclair school system, and have never heard of white floors and black floors in the high school. In a town like Montclair, if there was even a hint of truth to that, there is no way it would stay on the down low. It would be all over the Montclair websites and local papers. The town is full of activists who have no problem speaking up.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:32 AM

857 posts, read 833,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
What does that have to do with blacks and whites interacting?
There's more space so homes are less expensive. Are you reading the same thread as me?

Old 03-31-2017, 01:19 PM

10,434 posts, read 6,954,235 times
A history lesson: Approximately 13% of New Jersey is black. About 50 years ago it was less then 1%. In 1950 Newark Census approximately 96% of Newark was white. In the 1960's blacks began to migrate north to Newark for low skilled industrial work. Blacks felt disinfranchised and rioted killing 26 people in Newark, snipers were shooting injuring hundreds and burning down parts of it in a 6 day period. White people closed up shop and moved out of Newark and surrounding towns after the riots. Blacks never moved to other parts of North Jersey and whites were very slow to integrate back into Newark after many depressed decades so that's why you don't see much integration in North Jersey.

Old 03-31-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Well, people like to say things just to try to be interesting.

I have several friends with kids in the Montclair school system, and have never heard of white floors and black floors in the high school. In a town like Montclair, if there was even a hint of truth to that, there is no way it would stay on the down low. It would be all over the Montclair websites and local papers. The town is full of activists who have no problem speaking up.
I have a friend whose son attended Montclair H.S. he wrote an article for the school paper exposing the internal discrimination at the school. He was sent to the chokie and never seen again.

Old 03-31-2017, 05:08 PM

230 posts, read 258,785 times
NJ is one of the most racist areas in the country. I'm leaving soon. Its only diverse because theres money. Take that away and we become mongrels. To be honest, most of the state is Italians and they are on average very racist/prejudice. Catholics actually, when you look at history have caused poverty in the minority groups. Jersey city might be different in terms of segration. This state is really only for white Italians, white or asians.

We have two of the richest counties in the country and and we also have camden and newark NJ. Go figure, don't trust people from JERSEY.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnj1215 View Post
NJ is one of the most racist areas in the country. I'm leaving soon. Its only diverse because theres money. Take that away and we become mongrels. To be honest, most of the state is Italians and they are on average very racist/prejudice. Catholics actually, when you look at history have caused poverty in the minority groups. Jersey city might be different in terms of segration. This state is really only for white Italians, white or asians.

We have two of the richest counties in the country and and we also have camden and newark NJ. Go figure, don't trust people from JERSEY.

I couldn't agree more. Never trust whites, Italians or Asian. Just look at his history if you need proof.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:24 PM

230 posts, read 258,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal1 View Post
I couldn't agree more. Never trust whites, Italians or Asian. Just look at his history if you need proof.
don't get offended

Old 03-31-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnj1215 View Post
don't get offended

I'm not offended.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:49 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
I am sure there is plenty of Racism in South Jersey as there is in North Jersey. South Jersey is tied to Philly, and it is not like Philly was always a harmonious melting pot of races.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey