Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 02:13 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Wow, I guess people who live in houses under $2 million can't possibly have any quality of life or get an education. What about those of us who live in houses under $300k? I guess we are lucky we're housebroken
Are there houses under 300K? I've been looking online and the only ones available under 300K seem to be condos. I'd like to find a decent apartment while I search for a house. We will be moving up there in the coming weeks/months (as soon as I can sell our house).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 02:17 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Are there houses under 300K? I've been looking online and the only ones available under 300K seem to be condos. I'd like to find a decent apartment while I search for a house. We will be moving up there in the coming weeks/months (as soon as I can sell our house).
I bought one for a little more than half that... so they are out there. Depends on where you look, and what kind of elbow grease you're willing to put in...

Old 04-30-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
I bought one for a little more than half that... so they are out there. Depends on where you look, and what kind of elbow grease you're willing to put in...
Thanks. I can put in a lot of elbow grease. I have the carpenter skills to take care of that. I'd love to buy a house for 150K and if it only takes some hard work (and the neighborhood is safe), I'll jump right in. I have another thread entitled "Info on Hackensack." If you could comment (or anyone else for that matter) on the questions I've posed there, it would be very much appreciated.
Thanks!

Old 04-30-2008, 02:29 PM

I did it by buying a house that needed primarily cosmetic work, very minor real stuff, which was an estate - son of the previous owner was in Colorado. Add to that moving further out (High Bridge), and it came in at a nice deal. $172,500, then negotiated some after inspection for more cash.

All fixed up, similar homes in my area are selling for $70-$100k more, so there are good deals to be had. With the current state of the market factored in, with some legwork I'm sure you'd be able to find something. Don't know much about Hackensack though, sorry

Old 04-30-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
I did it by buying a house that needed primarily cosmetic work, very minor real stuff, which was an estate - son of the previous owner was in Colorado. Add to that moving further out (High Bridge), and it came in at a nice deal. $172,500, then negotiated some after inspection for more cash.

All fixed up, similar homes in my area are selling for $70-$100k more, so there are good deals to be had. With the current state of the market factored in, with some legwork I'm sure you'd be able to find something. Don't know much about Hackensack though, sorry
It doesn't need to be IN Hackensack. First, I have to get a job up there before I can move up, then I need to sell our house here in Fort Worth. Or, perhaps sell the house first and then find a job up there. I'll look into High Bridge. Where I will live very much depends on my job location, but also I need to be within an hour or so of Hackensack.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:38 PM

With an hour as the factor, I would start by looking about an hour ride down route 80... that'll get you a good set of towns to start looking at

Old 04-30-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
With an hour as the factor, I would start by looking about an hour ride down route 80... that'll get you a good set of towns to start looking at
Excellent. Thanks!

Old 04-30-2008, 02:42 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Excellent. Thanks!
For an hour to Hackensack from 80 (just for a frame of reference), I wouldn't look any further west than Roxbury/Mt. Olive...(and that's pushing it). There's a lot of business in Bergen/Eastern Morris County.

Good luck!

Old 04-30-2008, 02:49 PM

I'm finding that just over the Jersey state line in Pennsylvania there are a lot of very reasonably priced homes. It's a beautiful area!

Old 05-01-2008, 02:27 PM

526 posts, read 1,391,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolamom View Post
Please don't flame me for expressing this but we had the worst house hunting trip ever.. We are from NJ originally and this is my 3rd relo and we are looking in the $2M range so I thought this was going to be easy. Instead, I am wondering if we should move back at all....

We looked in Chatham, Basking Ridge, Madison, Harding, Chester..... and I was not able to find one---not one--home that didn't make me want to cry. We live in a very upscale part of Atlanta and our home is magnificent. I was ready to have to downsize--however, what I saw was shocking. Homes in Chatham were the worst---small lots, mixed streets and large homes that while pretty were nothing so special to justify almost $3M price tags. Basking Ridge, further out, was equally disappointing---homes that were so so with things such as TRAIN TRACKS running across the street (50 ft!) and/or across the street from a landfill.

The worst to me was the visit to a Chatham PS. Reportedly the best, it was charming. But their curriculum in 1st grade covered everything my private school children did in Prek3. I could actually get past that if that was all. But the entire package left me really demoralized.

We live smack within city borders on 2 acres here in Atlanta. Our home in NJ would be 6+M from what I can see. I knew that was going to be the case but what I did not expect was these homes would "feel" so incredibly overpriced. I just cannot imagine any of it being a sound investment. Seems like we are going to spend MUCH MORE to have less of a life. I am very torn up.

Worst of all is my family is there so this will be a huge dissapointment to them if we don't move.

I know some of you are going to just want to flame me, but please don't. This is more than about the house. It's about:

- quality of life
- economics
- education.

If anyone has any insight into how I should be looking at this, please advise. I told dh last night that maybe we should rent for a year somewhere fun like Hoboken, look for private schools and take our time doing so and see what real estate prices do. From what I could observe--and i don't care how fantastic Chatham is---those prices, for those homes, cannot be sustainable.

Thoughts and well meaning advice VERY welcomed.

Lola
I have to say, you are talking about my market area, while I have never been to Atlanta I do have friends who sell Real Estate there, and I know you get a lot more for your money there, but lets get real here. You could not find one home in any of these towns up to 2M that met your standards?? I am very much having a hard time believing this.

Perhaps you need to take a second look, unless you were thinking you were going to get a 10,000 Sqft brand new house on 10 acres of land, which is available here in Summit NJ and Chatham NJ but of course such a home is more like 10M, for as you see, the land that these homes sit on is in many cases worth more than the house that is built on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey