Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 04:32 PM

201 posts, read 441,440 times

Advertisements

Hi Lola,
This thread has obviously brought out alot of different feelings from people back home. I do know a little about Atlants,such as Buck Head, which was my favorite and Marrietta which our friends from my ex and i have. Marrietta is a great suburban area with some gorgeous homes priced way less than here. Are you coming back to jersey for your husbands job relocation? If that's the case than he should ask for more money due to a higher standerd of living. Like it was mentioned in previous posts, Somerset county offers many towns with great size homes( if that is an issue) with great school system, ie: Peapack Gladstone, Chester, Farhills. BaskingRidge was rated# 4 ( i believe) in the nation for top schools. Check also Mountain Lakes. Warren also has the best of both worlds. Don't give up, N.J. still has alot to offer plus your family is still here, and that is worth downsizing for.
Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 04:36 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
Did you look into Far Hills and Bernardsville or Mendham area. The CEOs of major companies in NY and NJ live in that area. The home sizes are plenty enough for them.
There children made out well in those schools. If your children need to be in an advanced class, I'm sure they would move them along. No school will be holding a child back. Not in those particular towns anyhow. Nothing is going to compare with Atlanta. Because it is known that you get quite a lot for your money there, homewise.
I don't feel that a smaller home, in a great area of NJ, should make you feel you are going downward.
Those few areas I mentioned are highly respected towns, so is Chester for that matter.
If they don't make a good impression on you........NJ is not your state.
Your not going to find the land size nor the size of home that Atlanta offers.
I'm sure you must have looked into that ahead of time.
But........NJ is a classy state. With a great location and a good deal of fantastic people.
That is for sure....... Oh yes, Mountain Lakes would be great for homes, schools also.......

Old 03-07-2008, 05:49 PM

201 posts, read 1,012,913 times
I left NJ last year for the Atlanta area, I live in Forsyth County. I loved NJ, but for what I have here, it is so clean the schools are good, my taxes are low, the parks system is awesome.

In parts of Forsyth you can get a 2500 sq ft home for under $200,000 your taxes are like $1700 a year.

I have a 5000 sq ft home decked out, 4 sides brick, 2 fireplaces, crown molding, granite in all baths and kitchen, built in's...., my master bedroom closet is so big! It is the size of a 2 car garage, all for just over $500,000.

It is such a bargain here, I miss NJ less and less each day. I feel your pain. You will miss the ATL too!

Old 03-07-2008, 06:09 PM

604 posts, read 2,914,466 times
I seem to recall not very long ago Somerset Co. NJ is the second most affluent Co. in the country second only to a Ct. Co. which I don't recall the name.
As far as education in NJ I would be willing to bet more NJ students are attending Princeton, Harvard, MIT than an uqual number of Atlanta Georgia students.

I am sure the OP is just PO'd because NJ real estate prices have priced them out of what she thinks she deserves. The other excuses are just bogus.

E

Old 03-07-2008, 06:14 PM

201 posts, read 441,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon View Post
I seem to recall not very long ago Somerset Co. NJ is the second most affluent Co. in the country second only to a Ct. Co. which I don't recall the name.
As far as education in NJ I would be willing to bet more NJ students are attending Princeton, Harvard, MIT than an uqual number of Atlanta Georgia students.

I am sure the OP is just PO'd because NJ real estate prices have priced them out of what she thinks she deserves. The other excuses are just bogus.

E
I don't know what she would make on her home in Atlanta, but it should be enough to get something real nice here. Plus coming back to be with family is worth the sacrifice. It's only my opinion.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:15 PM

55 posts, read 187,078 times
Atlanta, depending on what part you live in isn't too bad. I've spent a few months in Georgia one summer, (also at Lake Lanier). North Jersey is very beautiful, winding hills, etc. The only downfall with relocating is that real estate is through the roof and not to mention property taxes are the highest in the country....The reason being it's near the city that is the center of the universe! The people are very friendly, lots of great spas, shops, and US corporate headquarters. Northern Jersey is like the "suburban nyc" that has everything. I am sorry that you were not able to find a home. Although, the school systems are much better in NJ than they are in Georgia (although, Georgia is improving). At least we don't have droughts!!!

Old 03-07-2008, 06:22 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,364,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Anyone who would like to see what a 2 million dollar house / estate should look like, go and check out gsmls.com - somerset county: Peapack-Gladstone, Bernards twp., Bernardsville. Compare these to those 3 bdrm, 1 bath cap cods in Chatham, Summit, Madison, Etc. and you will understand what she is talking about.
I looked at some of the homes on that site. Found some absolutely lovely homes. I'd be more than glad to have that amount for a house.

Heck, I'd be more than happy to just have 500-600k of that.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:39 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,607,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
I looked at some of the homes on that site. Found some absolutely lovely homes. I'd be more than glad to have that amount for a house.

Heck, I'd be more than happy to just have 500-600k of that.
See..that's the thing - everyone in here keeps looking in overcrowded areas near NYC. NJ is only about 50 miles wide - jump over one, two counties and you can get a bargain! I am a NJ native...started in Passaic and eventually ended up in Warren County. You can get a whole lot of house with a whole lot of property for half of what you would pay east. My realtor has this new home subdivision going up in Independence - warren Co. The houses are just over 1 mil - but if you took that same house and moved it to Morris County - 3 million easy! Perhaps people should considering moving west in NJ rather than South to Sc, NC or GA.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:47 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,364,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
See..that's the thing - everyone in here keeps looking in overcrowded areas near NYC. NJ is only about 50 miles wide - jump over one, two counties and you can get a bargain! I am a NJ native...started in Passaic and eventually ended up in Warren County. You can get a whole lot of house with a whole lot of property for half of what you would pay east. My realtor has this new home subdivision going up in Independence - warren Co. The houses are just over 1 mil - but if you took that same house and moved it to Morris County - 3 million easy! Perhaps people should considering moving west in NJ rather than South to Sc, NC or GA.
Oh, I agree, and gave you reps. I just don't see whining (because that's what it seemed to me the OP was doing) about not liking something with that much money and basically belittling the homes/schools. I can understand wanting the best for your hard-earned dollar, but there's no point on being rude when a lot of people here would kill to even have an opportunity to afford a house at that price.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:48 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,841 times
Moving west was my solution
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey