Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 08:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,647 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
My husband and I are thinking of moving to Summit, NJ. We've lived in Manhattan for over a decade but life with two small boys is getting increasingly tight in our apartment. We are also beginning to worry about schools. We both work full time in the city. I may look for something new depending on how bad the commute actually is.

My concern is that we are leaving our very liberal (yes privileged, but liberal and open minded) community for the land of Chris Christie supporters...or worse yet - Trumpers. Am I wrong? How socially conservative is Summit?

I will admit that I will probably feel this way about any other place we consider outside of the city. But some what I see as far actual election results and anecdotal information suggests that it's pretty conservative.

Would Larchmont or Croton on Hudson or some of the other towns of Westchester be a better "fit"?

I'm open to all suggestions and viewpoints. And it would make my day if people chimed in to prove me wrong!

Thank yoU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 09:16 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,277 times
More conservative than other locations but a lot less than most.

I don't know what data you're looking at, but it went Clinton in the last election nearly 2:1 and also voted for "first time candidate with no real funds and support" Peter Jacob:
https://www.cityofsummit.org/Documen...Home/View/1597

It's also against gambling statewide, for the gas tax lockbox, and increasing green space in the county.

I'd say you're going to find similar results in Westchester towns too. To be honest it's rare when personal politics come up, most everyone is quietly polite about it, but the actual data shows that it's not Trumpland by far but does have a good amount of financially well off citizens who vote for their pocketbook. But I'd be interested in how often you talk about it where you live now when you meet people.

Here's the state as a whole:
New Jersey Election Results 2016: President Live Map by County, Real-Time Voting Updates - POLITICO

Last edited by jaymoney; 04-04-2017 at 09:36 AM..

Old 04-04-2017, 09:22 AM

53 posts, read 71,270 times
The most liberal town in the northern NJ-New York metro area is Maplewood aka 'Brooklyn West'!

It is three stops closer to Manhatten on the MidtownDirect line too and is twinned with South Orange.

Very diverse, LGBTQ friendly and there is an annual fab "Maplewoodstock" music/arts event:

Http://www.maplewoodstock.com

Also check out the website and forums on Maplewood Online

Old 04-04-2017, 09:48 AM

1,878 posts, read 2,025,943 times
In the more affluent New Jersey towns, I wouldn't say there are many "liberals" period, or not liberals who are passionate about their politics.

I always thought of NJ as a solid blue state, but after living here through the last election, I think it's mostly due to the lower-income towns. If it wasn't for Newark, Elizabeth, Paterson, and Jersey City, I think NJ would have voted solidly for Trump. Very different from other northeastern blue states I've lived in.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:05 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,277 times
I'd disagree with that sentiment having seen six thousand people show up for a women's march in Westfield when the organizers expected two hundred. There are plenty of affluent liberals.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:05 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
This map may help: See how your town voted in the 2016 presidential election | NJ.com

Clinton got 60% in Summit.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:10 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
voted for "first time candidate with no real funds and support" Peter Jacob
The smart money is on Mr. Jacob to defeat Leonard Lance in two years.
Lance was a centrist/moderate Republican when he was in the NJ Legislature, and was almost always a voice of reason in both the NJ Assembly and the NJ Senate.

However, he took a sharp turn toward the right when he was elected to Congress, and it appears that he misread the desires of his constituents when he took that sharp turn. The huge throngs protesting at all of his recent town hall events apparently spooked him to the point where he has started to become more of a moderate again, but he is still very vulnerable, based on the hue and cry against him recently.

And then, there are some things in Lance's closet that could come back to haunt him.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:54 AM

857 posts, read 833,937 times
[quote=jaymoney;47734023]I'd disagree with that sentiment having seen six thousand people show up for a women's march in Westfield when the organizers expected two hundred. There are plenty of affluent liberals.[/QUOTE

All the liberal housewives that could afford to take the day off, thanks to their conservative wealthy smart husbands.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:58 AM

857 posts, read 833,937 times
Your honestly better off staying in manhattan. If your really that liberal then the NYC public should not be an issue. Besides you will just annoy everyone in Jersey.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:00 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
TBH you sound kind of intolerant. Who cares what people's political opinions are? You have yours and they have theirs. And it's not as if you're moving to some rural area in the Deep South - it's NJ. Anyway, in my experience few people ever will discuss politics in public, especially if they don't know each other well. Friends and family will usually only discuss if everyone's okay with it. What exactly is your concern? If you like Summit, move there. IMHO politics shouldn't really be such an issue.

You say you've lived in Manhattan for 10 years - where are you originally from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey