Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 06:03 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times

Advertisements

I really don't view it as morally wrong - my father was in his 70s when he took out a 30-year second mortgage on his house when home prices were near their peak. That the bank allowed that imo is crazy, and frankly, he's always had an unrealistic view of his own mortality. He's 85 now and losing his marbles at an increasing rate. I don't really care about the bank - what I care about is preserving my father's capital so that he can have quality care in his final days. I will provide him with a low-cost housing option and supervision for as long as I can, but eventually he will have to go into a home, and I want it to be a good one. If that means the bank gets left holding the bag on a loan they never should have made, so be it.

But I'd love it if someone answered my question about the likelihood of them coming after him for the full amount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 06:11 AM

857 posts, read 834,829 times
I guess it's all the banks fault, your Dad takes no share of the blame. To answer your question it is unlikely they will come after him but they should and it's always possible that they will. Your dad took out the second mortgage. He should be responsible for it. But then one can justify anything to fit their needs.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:15 AM

We can rightfully place blame on the banks for the real estate crash but they could not have done it without a bunch of opportunist customers looking to cash out on their homes or buy homes they could otherwise not afford.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:20 AM

People buy cars on credit everyday that they really cannot afford. When they stop making the payments should they be allowed to keep them while we all just blame the big faceless automotive industry?
Your Dad enjoyed the money when he withdrew it. You said he has it. So give it back.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:28 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,868,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
But I'd love it if someone answered my question about the likelihood of them coming after him for the full amount.
To get a real answer to this you're going to have to talk to a real lawyer, maybe even for money in exchange for their time.

"I was told on the internet by a message board" doesn't hold up as well as you'd think when things go down.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:45 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
So perhaps we should all go rob a bank.
Didn't Dillinger say, "That's where the money is."

Old 04-05-2017, 07:50 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal1 View Post
We can rightfully place blame on the banks for the real estate crash but they could not have done it without a bunch of opportunist customers looking to cash out on their homes or buy homes they could otherwise not afford.
Blame the banks, the realtors, who get their sales commissions when the house sells. If the home gets foreclosed on, they sell it again and get another commission. Shows like "flip this house", and the people who all got on that bandwagon. The mortgage brokers who get a commission when the mortgage is funded, "no doc" loans, etc., etc.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:03 AM

19,127 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
Didn't Dillinger say, "That's where the money is."
No, that quotation is usually attributed to Willie "The Actor" Sutton, whose bank-robbing career spanned the 1930s and 1940s. However, according to two books about Sutton that I read, he never actually did say those words.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:24 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
To get a real answer to this you're going to have to talk to a real lawyer, maybe even for money in exchange for their time.

"I was told on the internet by a message board" doesn't hold up as well as you'd think when things go down.
Really? Wow, I didn't know that.

This is the course of action advised by the lawyer I'm paying. I just think it seems risky and was looking for someone who has been in a similar situation to offer their insights.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:42 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,868,278 times
Well you get what you pay for. And if you want a second opinion go pay for one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey