Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 09:01 PM

857 posts, read 834,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
No.

There's no such thing as a commuter tax, at least not since the 1990s.

If you live in NJ but work in New York, you pay New York State income tax. You file a New York State income tax return as a nonresident and you declare all New York State income and pay the appropriate income tax to New York State.

You also file an income tax return with New Jersey. If you have any income earned in NJ, you declare it and pay the appropriate tax. If all your income comes from NY, you declare that and NJ does not take any tax on that NY income.
Exactly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 09:17 PM

88,547 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Not true. Read my post above.
Correct. You pay NYS tax as a non-resident.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Correct. You pay NYS tax as a non-resident.
Just like I said.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:29 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,206,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dislocated View Post
So while working in Midtown, it's more beneficial to have my primary residence in NJ and not NYC for tax purposes?
Not your primary residence, your only residence. If you maintain any residence in NYC they want that 3.6% and along with parking enforcement, that tax collector is one of the few efficient parts of the NYC government.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:14 PM

Correct

Old 04-05-2017, 08:08 AM

565 posts, read 722,318 times
are you going to keep your NYC residence and rent it? If so, many of your expenses can be written off as operating costs of the rental unit. If you are living in NJ, as pps have said, you will file a federal tax return, a NYS return, and a NJS return. You usually get money back from your NYS return and it pays for the NJS return. We do all of our taxes online and websites like Turbotax, Taxslayer, TaxACT, etc make it really easy. It does it all for you.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:41 AM

271 posts, read 566,678 times
Who keeps this myth going?

I used to live in Queens and worked in Manhattan. My friend had a room available for rent in Jersey so I moved out to NJ but left my personal info at work alone (Any work mail was sent to my folks place in Queens). I did this for 5 years and when I finally got married, i switched my personal info at work to my new address in NJ. As soon as I got my first paycheck (with my NJ address), my biweekly paycheck went up almost $300. So for 5 years, I unnecessarily paid $36k in NYC resident taxes that I didn't need to pay. The NYS/NJ state taxes usually cancel each other out (for the most part) at tax time. The big difference is not paying NYC resident taxes.

So to answer your question...Yes if you live in NJ and work in NYC, you WILL PAY LESS IN TAXES.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:57 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,090,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknyc View Post
Who keeps this myth going?

I used to live in Queens and worked in Manhattan. My friend had a room available for rent in Jersey so I moved out to NJ but left my personal info at work alone (Any work mail was sent to my folks place in Queens). I did this for 5 years and when I finally got married, i switched my personal info at work to my new address in NJ. As soon as I got my first paycheck (with my NJ address), my biweekly paycheck went up almost $300. So for 5 years, I unnecessarily paid $36k in NYC resident taxes that I didn't need to pay. The NYS/NJ state taxes usually cancel each other out (for the most part) at tax time. The big difference is not paying NYC resident taxes.

So to answer your question...Yes if you live in NJ and work in NYC, you WILL PAY LESS IN TAXES.
Not true if you own property. We used to live in Queens and then bought a place in Bergen County. When we moved, we of course stopped paying NYC tax. But we had to pay our towns property taxes that are actually higher than NYC income tax. The only difference is that they are not deducted from every paycheck. Moreover, NJ state income tax rules barely allow any deductions. So we can not really deduct mortgage interest and our effective NJ task rate always ends up being more than NYS. So we also have to pay NJ. So in summary, we are paying more in taxes when we moved to NJ.

Old 04-08-2017, 05:42 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,172,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal1 View Post
You may pay a commuter tax but not NYS residence tax if your not a resident.
There is no NYS residence tax. He works in NY and be taxed in NY. What he paid in NY will offset his NJ tax liability.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:17 PM

274 posts, read 297,514 times
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey