Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2017, 07:34 PM

7 posts, read 9,634 times

Advertisements

Where are you coming from? UWS Manhattan
Why are you moving? We want a house to fix up and want more of a suburban lifestyle.
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? Rock Center

Will you buy or rent? Buy
What is your budget ? up to $300K for a fixer-upper
What kind of place are you looking for ? Small house 2-3 bedrooms, with a garage. Garage is a must. detached is fine, House can be 50s-70s constructed and in need of updating, but not a teardown

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? My husband and I, late 30s early 40s
Do you need/want good public schools? No, just concerned about resale value

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc)
Safe, quiet neighborhood, close to nice grocery stores. I do run outside in the early AM. i liked the feel of downtown Montclair.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)

Charming, close/easy nyc commute,
My husband and I are originally from CT , we've been living in Manhattan together and we are ready to leave. We like NJ and have been exploring Bergen county and we looked at Montclair recently. Montclair appears to be an easy NYC commute on that train line with no transfer. What other communities should I be looking at?
We definitely only want a 30-40 min MAX train ride, giving myself a max of 1 hour to get to my office.

Can someone please explain the bus commute situation? In some communities , is the bus faster and better than the train?
I would enjoy to hear opinions on the train vs the bus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 07:42 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,437,721 times
None of the Bergen or Essex County 'burbs are going to give you a 30-40 minute commute into NYC. You might be able to get it down to an hour from Montclair.

Also, you're gonna need to double that budget, minimally, to have a shot of getting what you want.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:02 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,519,649 times
If the OP is looking at Bergen, $300k will get you a condo in Bergen. If that's the budget, you haven't even factor in the taxes. Consider looking elsewhere in NJ for $300k, there are plenty of places with under an hour commute to NYC but NOT in Bergen county.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:04 PM

728 posts, read 1,957,105 times
If your willing to buy a fixer upper you can get into west orange for 300k easily. Many neighborhoods have jitneys to the midtown direct train. It borders Montclair.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:49 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,204,123 times
Teaneck is worth investigating. Bus rides are pretty fast depending where in town you live.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:33 PM

23 posts, read 48,506 times
Fairview and Cliffside Park may offer some single-family homes near your price range with the commute time you're looking for via NJ Transit express bus. They're both in the southeast corner of Bergen County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey