Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2017, 11:43 AM

5 posts, read 15,936 times

Advertisements

I'm still debating if I should live in 24 jones at university heights in Newark or somewhere else like Jersey City. I know Newark is not the safest place but the current stigma about the city's safety is kinda disturbing. Has anyone lived in Jersey City? What do you think of it compared to Newark? and is it a smart choice to live there since I'm starting medical school at Rutgers in the summer? I still won't be able to get a car anytime soon and is taking the shuttle would be something ease for everyday? Any suggestions or advise would be highly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 11:58 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by araljawa View Post
I'm still debating if I should live in 24 jones at university heights in Newark or somewhere else like Jersey City. I know Newark is not the safest place but the current stigma about the city's safety is kinda disturbing. Has anyone lived in Jersey City? What do you think of it compared to Newark? and is it a smart choice to live there since I'm starting medical school at Rutgers in the summer? I still won't be able to get a car anytime soon and is taking the shuttle would be something ease for everyday? Any suggestions or advise would be highly appreciated.
If you're starting medical school and don't have a car I would live as close to the school as possible. Rutgers Newark has some nice housing for grad students - have you looked into it? I'm honestly not sure if med students can apply for it but the school will definitely help you out with finding good housing nearby and finding roommates. University Heights is not that bad of an area, especially near the Rutgers buildings. At night there is some crime (mostly random robberies) but just watch where you're walking and who is around you. Be aware and don't carry things like your laptop, phone, or money out in the open.

The campus police are pretty good and have a decent presence in the area, and NJIT is also close by so their police department also has a pretty common presence in the area, and Newark police patrol as well.

I know people who commute to Rutgers grad schools in Newark from Hoboken, Harrison, Jersey City, and they rely on the train/PATH and light rail. It works out okay for them but a lot of people I know who commute to Rutgers and live elsewhere say they would rather live in Newark. There are various reasons why they don't but for convenience, Newark definitely makes the most sense. You may be at school very late studying or in class, do you really want to take the trains so late back to Jersey City? It's something to think about. It wouldn't be the worse thing but it will add some time into your day when you could be spending it otherwise, then there's also the cost of the commute. The Rutgers shuttle is good but you'd still need to take public transit to get to Newark so you can take the shuttle, as it doesn't run from Jersey City. You should try to do a few dry runs at various times of day - rush hour, off-peak hours - to see what that commute is like, if possible. And definitely look into Rutgers' housing options if you haven't already.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:49 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Jersey City isn't so great either, except the gentrified (very expensive) areas. Might as well stay close.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:51 PM

5 posts, read 15,936 times
Thank you everyone. Its just the feedback that I'm getting from people who are not from Newark or even New Jersey that is worrying me.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:37 PM

351 posts, read 482,361 times
LOL what do people out of NJ know. I also would try to live as close to school as possible, why waste time on a commute and the distractions of Jersey City and Manhattan when your main goal is to be a student.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:05 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by araljawa View Post
Thank you everyone. Its just the feedback that I'm getting from people who are not from Newark or even New Jersey that is worrying me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nx View Post
LOL what do people out of NJ know. I also would try to live as close to school as possible, why waste time on a commute and the distractions of Jersey City and Manhattan when your main goal is to be a student.
Ha, exactly. They know next to nothing and hang onto baseless stereotypes.

We recently had a poster come onto here saying he is moving here from Alabama and his wife is concerned about how unsafe NJ is. We had to let him know that Alabama sees much more crime than NJ does/is as a whole a much more unsafe state - with statistics to back it up - and with their budget, they could move to a very nice and very safe suburb.

Obviously Newark isn't some safe wealthy suburban town. But it's also not so dangerous that it's unlivable. It depends on where you are.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:53 AM

565 posts, read 722,634 times
Newark is fine for students. I had a friend that went to Rutgers law, which is also right around there. I think she lived at some apartments called Capstone right in that area. Seemed like a lot of young people/students.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:56 AM

565 posts, read 722,634 times
Also, is there a FB group or something for current/former Rutgers med school students? You should post there and see where others are living and what their experiences have been.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:41 PM

215 posts, read 200,540 times
try bayonne. it's a laid back little town just south of jersey city and it's our secret. Indians and Egyptians are starting to move there, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey