Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 12:56 PM

857 posts, read 2,002,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGIANTS View Post
LOL- Na We going to stick to the fast pace, just with palm trees around us.
S Florida better known as NY/NJ South.
Have you spent any considerable time there?

Florida is not what you think it is - the palm trees are not indigenous. They plant them in the resort ares. The rest of florida is an oppressively hot swamp with no hills and lots of trailer parks. the only difference between florida and arkansas is the beach.

Watch "cops" a few weeks in a row and you will get to see the entire state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 01:00 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiemommie View Post
Sorry, but we just turned down a job relocation that would put us in a better financial situation because we love where we live in Coastal Monmouth County. Its our Mayberry, and we don't want to leave.

Very nice area, one of the few areas that could tempt me to leave Morris County Enjoy your mayberry!!

Old 03-07-2008, 01:02 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
if I were to pick one place that is on par with COL -vs- income, and crazy problems, it's South Florida. Taxes are NOT much cheaper, but be prepared to shell out at least $5K a year in homeowners insurance. I know someone down there paying $6K in homeowners and about $10K in prop taxes on a 3K sq foot house. The financial climate down there is really bad, it's practically ground zero for foreclosures.

Good luck to you, but honestly, other than the weather, their problems are probably the same (if not worse) than ours.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:06 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGIANTS View Post
The time is now. The corruption has become overwhelming. The cost of living is incredible, and now we are faced to pay more to go to work (tolls) to pay for the corruption in the Government.
My wife and I are heading south. Good bye Jersey winters and the rest of the crap that we have to put up with in this state.
Who is on the same page?
We spent 2 years looking at places we could relocate to from Morris county. S FL was one of our target places but it really didn't end up being much cheaper to live there. If you have kids you will need private schools to keep them on a level with NJ and that made it even more expensive than staying here. I also hope you have a job lined up that gives you the same salary as you have here. Wages down there are an absolute joke. Not trying to bum you out, just do a ton of research before you move there. I think there are better choices right now than FL.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:20 PM

8 posts, read 22,629 times
It depends what industry you are in, I found jobs in Texas that were alot more than NJ - it all depends - I make more living in South Jersey than my whole life living in Northern NJ. It all depends.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:24 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times
actually i keep hearing that people from FL are moving to NC. i know everyone says that there is a big exodus to NC, but its working for us

Old 03-07-2008, 02:35 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jy_2007 View Post
Have you spent any considerable time there?

Florida is not what you think it is - the palm trees are not indigenous. They plant them in the resort ares. The rest of florida is an oppressively hot swamp with no hills and lots of trailer parks. the only difference between florida and arkansas is the beach.

Watch "cops" a few weeks in a row and you will get to see the entire state.
typical nonsense! keep telling yourself myths like that while NJ taxes every last cent you have
Like everywhere else there are good places to live in FLA and there are bad places, the weather is great as long as you don't mind 2 seasons, hot and hotter, but we never deal with snow and ice.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:37 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
We spent 2 years looking at places we could relocate to from Morris county. S FL was one of our target places but it really didn't end up being much cheaper to live there. If you have kids you will need private schools to keep them on a level with NJ and that made it even more expensive than staying here. I also hope you have a job lined up that gives you the same salary as you have here. Wages down there are an absolute joke. Not trying to bum you out, just do a ton of research before you move there. I think there are better choices right now than FL.
research is everything, having a job BEFORE coming to FLA is the smart way to go because wages can be low here. FLA is not a place to make your fortunes, NJ is and then get out before the government steals it from you

Old 03-07-2008, 02:38 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
typical nonsense! keep telling yourself myths like that while NJ taxes every last cent you have
I think I have lots of sense. Pennies too. But I'm in NJ, so silly me...

Old 03-07-2008, 05:10 PM

24 posts, read 68,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
People are leaving South FL in droves as well. Housing, taxes & crime went through the roof.
Many areas...take Singer Island for example as I'm familiar with it, beautiful homes and area..just don't have to come back across the bridge, then you're in drive by territory.

Unfortunately many are fleeing NJ, I can understand why all though I'm not one of them, but I think you can do better then So Fl the only positive trade off being the weather provided no hurricanes come through.

Yup, I'm one of those leaving South Florida. Many people here are not happy. Life here is shallow and meaningless. Although I live in Miami; South Florida overall is not like Miami. Broward and Palm Beach counties are much better areas to live in than Miami-Dade County is. My advise is, don't come south of the Broward/Dade county line, unless you have money and can live on the water and not have to come to the mainland for anything. Oh and yes, we are the #1 capital of road rage and foreclosures. It's lovely living here...

I can understand why many are leaving NJ because of taxes, etc., but honestly, I'd rather put up with high taxes and snow that live surrounded by crime, uneducated immigrants, Spanish-only speakers who refuse to learn English. And it's not like it is not expensive living here also, because it is! In Miami it is who you know, not how well educated you are or whether or not you have experience in your field. The job market is terrible. And having 2 seasons all year gets old, boring and sticky.

In conclusion, like njkate said, I think you can find a better/cheaper option than South Florida. No place is perfect, but you have to research and determine what is most important to you. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey