Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2009, 06:35 PM

20,333 posts, read 19,925,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by block911 View Post
I doubt it, Newark is going to be forced into gentrification (already started) as living in Hoboken,Jersey City or New York City is to expensive while Newark is dirt cheap and is the hub for mass transit. With the success of Newark, Cory Booker will reap the rewards.
The last thing any politician should do in NJ is allude to the fact that the public workers unions may have contributed to NJ's fiscal mess.

They hold a lot of power when it comes to getting elected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 06:48 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGIANTS View Post
The time is now. The corruption has become overwhelming. The cost of living is incredible, and now we are faced to pay more to go to work (tolls) to pay for the corruption in the Government.
My wife and I are heading south. Good bye Jersey winters and the rest of the crap that we have to put up with in this state.
Who is on the same page?
Good for you! I left 4 years ago to a move down here to Northern Florida. Florida is not perfect either, but it is a cheaper way of life. While Jersey had that long winter, it was 70's here and sunny. No rain and beautiful! I would never trade this beautiful weather for cold and snow ever again! Plus my dogs love being in and out of the house all year round! Everything is soooo green here! When I land at Newark Airport all I see is grey and brown.....nope, not for me anymore! I do miss my family, friends, diners, restaurants, deli's bakery's etc. but I can always go back to visit.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:11 AM

13 posts, read 20,459 times
Thumbs up Also leaving nj

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenapagano View Post
We will be going to Greer SC in a few months. The crooked politicians have driven us out of N.J. How is Corzine going to pay all of the teachers and State workers pensions? Not with my money.
I can't live in a state where the Gov. is in bed (or affraid) of the unions.

My wife and I will be moving to Greenville S.C. The town and area are beautiful; the weather is moderate (near the mountains); and the area is full of northerners. I can't afford the taxes in NJ.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:40 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by block911 View Post
LOL Jobs really? Essex County fair attracts 7K job seekers - NJ.com

Lol business startups? Unfriendly business climate hurts New Jersey, experts say

Growing slower? It already outgrew, its contracting now at an accelerating rate LOL and the state gov't has no plans to fix the budget except for raising taxes on the very people that can up and leave NJ or would stick around to open more businesses
Stay in school some more.

NJ is DOOMED. New Jersey Can’t Afford Government, Booker Says (Update2) - Bloomberg.com
Lol at the Essex county job fair. Did you catch the part at the end where one of the job seekers says that one recruiter liked him because "he was actually well dressed". The people there are not exactly the cream of the crop. As for creating a business, NJ's business environment does suck but starting a business here is doable.

I think your problem is you see a negative trend and extrapolate it to overblown conclusions. And, again, it sounds like moving would be the best decision for you, but saying the NJ economy is doomed is just silly.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:47 AM

183 posts, read 500,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjphso View Post
My wife and I will be moving to Greenville S.C. The town and area are beautiful; the weather is moderate (near the mountains); and the area is full of northerners. I can't afford the taxes in NJ.
Same destination for me, can't be soon enough!

Old 05-15-2009, 09:47 AM

13 posts, read 20,459 times
Default doomed

Wake up and do your homework. The NJ one party system has doomed our economy; residents are moving out in droves, and it will just get worse.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:00 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjphso View Post
Wake up and do your homework. The NJ one party system has doomed our economy; residents are moving out in droves, and it will just get worse.
Residents are moving out in droves, but they are being replaced by new immigrants from abroad and new births.

So, enjoy whatever second tier city you're moving to and good luck.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:09 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGIANTS View Post
The time is now. The corruption has become overwhelming. The cost of living is incredible, and now we are faced to pay more to go to work (tolls) to pay for the corruption in the Government.
My wife and I are heading south. Good bye Jersey winters and the rest of the crap that we have to put up with in this state.
Who is on the same page?
Go. Good riddance. Seeya.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:14 AM

2,510 posts, read 3,976,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
Residents are moving out in droves, but they are being replaced by new immigrants from abroad and new births.

So, enjoy whatever second tier city you're moving to and good luck.
Second tier cities ??? Perhaps you could name a few "first" tier cities in New Jersey so we could have a reference point ???

Old 05-15-2009, 10:36 AM

835 posts, read 1,180,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
Lol at the Essex county job fair. Did you catch the part at the end where one of the job seekers says that one recruiter liked him because "he was actually well dressed". The people there are not exactly the cream of the crop. As for creating a business, NJ's business environment does suck but starting a business here is doable.

I think your problem is you see a negative trend and extrapolate it to overblown conclusions. And, again, it sounds like moving would be the best decision for you, but saying the NJ economy is doomed is just silly.

Considering they are from NJIT, Rutgers Newark and UMDNJ I would argue otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey