Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 05:07 PM

968 posts, read 1,140,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal1 View Post
That area in NB is not at all close to the train. Metuchen is out of her price range. Fords or the Clara Barton section of Edison could be contenders.
Even Woodbridge "proper" is nice too. NJCL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 05:28 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,953 times
I appreciate the feedback. What are your thoughts on East Brunswick? What about South Jersey? Collinwood, NY?

Old 04-27-2017, 05:50 PM

857 posts, read 834,119 times
East Brunswick is a bit more suburban and spread out further south then that I don't really know much about.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:57 PM

968 posts, read 1,140,083 times
The Brunswicks are more car-dependent post WWII residential developments. Very nice, good schools, conveniently located etc, but very expensive, and no mass transit although a train station is in the works now in North Brunswick. Not sure when it will open though. These are typical upper middle class family towns and that is almost exclusively what they cater to.

Where in South Jersey? Do you mean close to Philly? I don't know Collinwood, NY. Do you mean Collingswood, NJ? It is pedestrian-friendly and on the PATCO speedline but it is a Philly town. Also dry as of now, but a few great bars one town over in Westmont on Haddon Ave "The Avenue" that can be within walking distance depending on where in C'wood you settle.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:12 PM

I meant Collingwood , NJ. It was featured on a House Hunter's episode. It sounds interesting.

I have been to East Brunswick. There is a bus that goes to Manhattan. I am not sure what amenities are close by. North Brunswick? I guess I will look in to it. This is going to be a daunting process.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:50 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
What sort of "amenities" are you looking for? Not sureI get what you mean by that.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:40 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,203,415 times
Collingswood is a wealthy little town in the Philadelphia suburbs. But I'm not sure if OP is trolling us.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:57 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
Find a job first then buy a house, or come back after securing a job somewhere and ask again for recommendations based on where you'll be working. Until you have a job secured, our advice on towns is pretty useless. Rent for some time if you have to, but do not buy somewhere then pick where you want to work/what job you want from there. You're eyeing something in Newark but like Collingswood? That would be an absolutely hellish commute. They're 81 miles apart. Traffic in NJ is bad. There are a lot of people crammed into a small space. You should live pretty close to where you're working, I would advise, to save you time and a ton of stress from being in traffic and dealing with idiots on the roads and highways day in and day out.

I second other posters when they ask what you mean by amenities. Most of NJ is very well developed, with strips malls, malls, and towns with old downtowns and lots of small businesses with some chains thrown in. There are gyms, public pools and/or private pool clubs, parks, community centers, libraries, plenty of restaurants and bars in pretty much every town, and aquariums, zoos, beaches, even skiing/snowboarding, spas, sports/concert venues, etc. elsewhere in the state within pretty short distance for a day trip. It's a small state and you can make it almost anywhere from almost anywhere easily for the day.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:19 AM

I agree I do need to find a job first. I want to be near a gym , large grocery store, park, library, shopping area and restaurant.

I did not think of Collinswood when I was exploring Newark. It is possible for my base to be in Newark and my territory in South Jersey.

I want a small ranch but I may have to settle for a townhouse. It is better than an apartment.

I am going to have to add PA to the list of places to find employment because of South Jersey.

Any advice would be appreciated?

Old 04-28-2017, 08:00 AM

235 posts, read 263,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
What are your thoughts on East Brunswick, Edison, Clifton, Bergenfield, and New Brunswick? I would consider South NJ but I definitely would have to find a job first.
I live in Bergenfield. It is a nice safe ethnically diverse residential town. Real estate values are reasonable, but taxes are on the high side. In return, town services are very good including prompt snow removal on side streets.

Bergenfield is a 35-40 minute bus ride into NYC and service is very frequent ( buses run 6 minutes apart during peak). If you work in Newark, you will either need to drive to work or drive 4 miles to the New Bridge Landing train stop in Hackensack where you will need to pay for parking there.

Bergenfield has a public library and some interesting restaurants. If you need a Supermarket or hardware store, you will need to drive to neighboring towns which aren't far.

Last edited by NJ to MA; 04-28-2017 at 08:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey