Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 09:16 PM

32 posts, read 45,796 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Could anyone please help me on the below? My new job will be in Brooklyn, NY . Address is below.
58th St #5H3, Brooklyn, NY 11220

1. Could you please let me know what cities in NJ with best High Schools with less than 1 hr 30 mins (including walk, transfer etc.) commute to Brooklyn, NY?

2. Could you let me know what what cities in NJ has affordable apartments (1300$ to 1500$) and is close to train station with less than 1 hr 30 mins commute to Brooklyn?

3. If I rent a single bedroom apartment, are 3 people allowed (2 parents and 1 child(in high school))?

4. Can I get single family homes for $1300-1500 (monthly rent) in the above area where there are best high schools and train stations near by with ?

Appreciate anyone's help!
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 10:08 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,593,220 times
If you want to live in America proper and commute to Brooklyn via any transit,,, it's going to take much more time. More like 1 hr 45 min and thats when it all goes right. Driving can be quicker sometimes and sometimes not.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:50 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,999,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmmet View Post
Hi,
Could anyone please help me on the below? My new job will be in Brooklyn, NY . Address is below.

1. Could you please let me know what cities in NJ with best High Schools with less than 1 hr 30 mins (including walk, transfer etc.) commute to Brooklyn, NY?

2. Could you let me know what what cities in NJ has affordable apartments (1300$ to 1500$) and is close to train station with less than 1 hr 30 mins commute to Brooklyn?

3. If I rent a single bedroom apartment, are 3 people allowed (2 parents and 1 child(in high school))?

4. Can I get single family homes for $1300-1500 (monthly rent) in the above area where there are best high schools and train stations near by with ?

Thanks in advance!

Zip Code 11220 is Bay Ridge, (south) Brooklyn New York. Are you saying you want your kid to go to high school in New York City, or New Jersey?

There is no direct train service between New Jersey and Brooklyn, New York. You have a few options: take New Jersey Transit trains into Penn Station (Manhattan, NYC), then take the subway to Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. Or take the PATH trains from New Jersey to lower Manhattan (World Trade Center), and again then take the subway train to Brooklyn. Going home is the reverse in opposite direction either way.

Depends. Legally in New York City the law requires every adult to have at least a minimum of 80 square feet of space. See: https://www.apartmentlawinsider.com/...udio-apartment

and: https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/h...m--537265.html

So if you find a large enough one bedroom and want to turn one of the rooms into a place to sleep that shouldn't be a problem.

Not sure about New Jersey but for much of New York City you aren't going to be able to rent an apartment in an area with "best high schools" for $1500 or less. Don't see you finding an entire house to rent in a good NJ town with "best schools" and train access into Manhattan for that kind of money.

You are either going to have to lower your expectations about what school our child attends, raise your budget, and or make other accommodations.

Is there a particular reason you are seeking to live in New Jersey instead of Brooklyn or other parts of New York City? Even getting from Staten Island to Bay Ridge would be an easier commute than from New Jersey. Plus the town in parts has a "New Jersey" feel to it as opposed to Manhattan, NYC.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:31 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,149,796 times
Move to Long Island. Seriously.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:42 AM

43,674 posts, read 44,416,401 times
Why don't you want to live in Brooklyn?

Old 07-31-2017, 10:33 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,870,328 times
Quote:

2 - None.

3 - Sure, you'll just all be miserable though.

4 - Nope.

Seriously, move to Long Island. Crossing two rivers is going to be a nightmare commute and you will hate it. Like, hate it hate it. Not even "oh, it's not that bad" hate it, but the second week in you'll be miserable and wonder why you decided to do this hate it.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:47 AM

88,590 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
2 - None.

3 - Sure, you'll just all be miserable though.

4 - Nope.

Seriously, move to Long Island. Crossing two rivers is going to be a nightmare commute and you will hate it. Like, hate it hate it. Not even "oh, it's not that bad" hate it, but the second week in you'll be miserable and wonder why you decided to do this hate it.
It took me a year to completely hate it, but I was only doing it two days a week.

It is Hell.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:53 AM

10,483 posts, read 7,010,515 times
Yeah, Brooklyn is to far to work and live in NJ. I'm pretty sure nobody has done this commute and kept their job.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:14 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,250,170 times
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance!
Unfortunately this is impossible ask because of 1.5hr each way commute to Sunset Park/Bay Ridge part of Brooklyn from NJ. Throw in budget constraint and 'best' public school education makes it literally impossible.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:19 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,462,687 times
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance!
Putting aside #3 for a sec, as I'm not sure what state/local laws are for that...

You want three things... great commute... great schools... cheap rent.

You can choose two. It's impossible for you to get all three (and even two might be a stretch).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey