Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 08:19 AM

37 posts, read 261,438 times

Advertisements

More and more NJ has become impossible for a young couple that didnt get handed mommy or daddys money to survive and create a family. Unless you want to live in the dangerous inner cities the homes are super expensive the taxes are out of control and cost of living is a joke. I live and work in the Bergen/Hudson county area and lots of the people I work with have moved over an hour away to get a decent home and neighborhood. To think these people have to bear this crazy commute just to live somewhere decent that they can afford. And now our corrupt government is so in debt that they want to add tolls to the already over priced roads and jack up the ones that already exist. Meanwhile gas priced are predicted to rise to over $4.00 by the summer. All of this to live in a state that is the most congested in the country.
Fortunatly for me and my wife we both have jobs that pay around the same in most areas so we will be leaving this crazy place for something more affordable. Good luck to all my New Jersey people. I was born and raised in North Jersey and wish I could stay but since my family doesnt have money to give me a headstart and I dont make 250k a year I will be off to greener pastures..or at least I hope they are greener.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 08:28 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,454,510 times
you are not alone...good luck

Old 03-08-2008, 08:41 AM

5,816 posts, read 12,589,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borat s View Post
More and more NJ has become impossible for a young couple that didnt get handed mommy or daddys money to survive and create a family. Unless you want to live in the dangerous inner cities the homes are super expensive the taxes are out of control and cost of living is a joke. I live and work in the Bergen/Hudson county area and lots of the people I work with have moved over an hour away to get a decent home and neighborhood. To think these people have to bear this crazy commute just to live somewhere decent that they can afford. And now our corrupt government is so in debt that they want to add tolls to the already over priced roads and jack up the ones that already exist. Meanwhile gas priced are predicted to rise to over $4.00 by the summer. All of this to live in a state that is the most congested in the country.
Fortunatly for me and my wife we both have jobs that pay around the same in most areas so we will be leaving this crazy place for something more affordable. Good luck to all my New Jersey people. I was born and raised in North Jersey and wish I could stay but since my family doesnt have money to give me a headstart and I dont make 250k a year I will be off to greener pastures..or at least I hope they are greener.
You mention twice that you need mommy or daddys money to live in NJ in order to survive. Myself on the other hand have to give my mommy some of my money and the same with my wife. I agree with you that the state and mun. governments are out of control with taxation and it plain out sucks. Many, many of us commute but that was our choices. I lived 5 minutes from work than moved to 15 minutes from work and now I am so lucky to be able to sit on the Parkway and Turnpike for over an hour. But I made that choice on my own.If I was younger I would be right behind ya moving. But some and if not most stay because of family first and career choice second. Well good luck with your move but I don't think most people live in Jersey with money given to them by their parents.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:54 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,561,189 times
You speak of the middle class leaving. There are many below you in the lower economic classes. What about all those minimum wage workers. What about those who even earn around $15/hr which might be considered a decent wage in most of America. They can not survive at all. Some are in their 20s and still live with Mom and Dad. They will never own their own home as long as they stay in NJ. They will eventually join the mass exit at all the NJ borders.

I escaped years ago when it was bad. It has grown 40 times worse. Your fine Gubenator Corslime is doing a fine job of chasing residents who wish to stay but can not. That is sad.

About 11 years ago when I escaped NJ I was paying about $5000 taxes for my tiny 800 sqft home. Today it is almost $11,000. Think of what one can do with all the money saved on property taxes by leaving. WOW !!!

Old 03-08-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
You mention twice that you need mommy or daddys money to live in NJ in order to survive. Myself on the other hand have to give my mommy some of my money and the same with my wife. I agree with you that the state and mun. governments are out of control with taxation and it plain out sucks. Many, many of us commute but that was our choices. I lived 5 minutes from work than moved to 15 minutes from work and now I am so lucky to be able to sit on the Parkway and Turnpike for over an hour. But I made that choice on my own.If I was younger I would be right behind ya moving. But some and if not most stay because of family first and career choice second. Well good luck with your move but I don't think most people live in Jersey with money given to them by their parents.
You obviously are older than me so you have a different outlook on New Jersey and you seem to agree with me that if you were in my shoes you would be looking to leave as well. Anyway, my point about people getting a head start from the parents is valid. Im not saying that most NJ people are getting handouts but I know many who have and if I was in their situation I would probably stay here. Unfortunaly I am not and for a young up and coming middle class couple like my wife and I we find this state a tremendous burden on our wallet and we see more and more people in similar situations. We dont even have children but we plan on having some but cant comprehend how we could afford them living here.

My whole point is that unless you are a little older and were fortunate to buy a home before the market surge a few years back this place is very difficult for young people who live on their own not able to sit home and save money living with their parents or have a headstart from their parents. I am in no way bashing these people, Im actually jealous, and I wish I was in their situation but since Im not I have no other options but to look fo greener pastures. I feel bad for those that arent in the work fields me and my wife are in since most will find it very difficult to leave NJ since their job will probably not pay in other states.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:21 AM

5,816 posts, read 12,589,372 times
Borat I grew up lower middle class and no one that I knew ever got money from their parents to live. We were lucky to have a meal on the table at night. 3 boys in a 10 by 10 room. We all survived in NJ without money from anyone else. I just hope that todays younger generation doesn't think that mommy and daddy that worked their whole life should have to support them in their housing needs. When I wanted my first house I worked my days off and saved and saved for years before I was able to buy a dump. I checked in my area northern ocean county and they have over 1,000 listings on homes in the 300,000 range. It seems now that many and I'm not saying all younger people don't want to make the sacrifice of buying a smaller home and then fix it up and trade up in 10 years. I guess I'm getting older now as I got my AARP card a year or two ago. I feel for you because my kids will soon be in the same boat as you and yours. But if they think i'm giving them money for a house they better think over. If thats their mentality than when I die I'll donate my money to a soup kitchen.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:45 AM

240 posts, read 945,986 times
Default Good For You

Good for you in getting out while you are young. I left and unfortunately had to return, this time with a son. I am really struggling and have a decent job. This is no place to build a future. We all deserve a LOT more for our money. If you do not need to work in NY or Philly, NJ has nothing to stick around for.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:37 AM

262 posts, read 788,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
About 11 years ago when I escaped NJ I was paying about $5000 taxes for my tiny 800 sqft home. Today it is almost $11,000. Think of what one can do with all the money saved on property taxes by leaving. WOW !!!
I am thinking of moving to NJ. Could you tell me which city/town this is, so I get an idea of the property tax situation!

Is this a common situation, in say a town like Princeton, which seems to be neither too close, nor too far from everything.

Last edited by athensvaasi; 03-08-2008 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: add a line

Old 03-08-2008, 10:45 AM

Default Princeton area

I dont know too much about Princeton but i had a friend move their and he got a decent deal on his rent but he worked in NYC and the train commute was destroying him. He couldnt stand it and he is now transfering to Chicago. This is the problem we have here. You try and find a "deal" on a home or rent and deal with a commute but Im telling you now you have never experienced congested roads until you come to Jersey. The people that have long commutes are literally taking years off their life with that madness.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:47 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,454,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borat s View Post
borat s - Your situation mirrors many young people in NJ. Even with you and your wife's income, buying a home in NJ is almost impossible in the current economic conditions. I lived in Paterson for 53 years with my parents and constantly saved money my entire working career. I never made over 50K and when I retired from the P.O. decided to look elsewhere for a place to retire. I had property in PA that I purchased in 1986, with the thought of building a house on it in the early 90's. My parents both died in the early 90's and I stayed in the home I inherited. But living on 25K in retirement and with the increased taxes in PA, I decided to sell the PA property in 2005 and use the money for a downpayment on a new house in NC. It has worked out very well. I still have the NJ house and suspect it will be some time before it gets sold.

My niece is in a similar situation. She graduated with a doctorate in Physical Therapy from UMDNJ and is planning to move to Colorado. If you don't have parents who can provide you with a substantial down payment for a house or you haven't saved up a large sum of money, you're in essense, locked out of the NJ market with the prevailing financial shape of the lending market. Even if you have a combined income of 100K, that not going to get you much in the NJ market. I suspect that down the road, even many of the children who lived in areas like Ridgewood, Colts Neck and Bernardsville are going to end up leaving the state as they find it impossible to even attempt to duplicate on a much more modest scale, the lifestyle that they enjoyed growing up in these areas. It is much more attainable in many other states, to have a decent home, good schools and a better QOL than NJ can currently offer to young families. One would be led to think after reading so many posts on the NJ Forum that there are only about 10 towns in the entire state worth living in and the rest of the population just has to "settle" for something less than ideal.

If you think I'm a NJ basher though, you'd be wrong! NJ is a great place to live - if you can afford it. I'll move back from NC, just as soon as I can get a new 3000 sq ft house on a quarter acre for $200,000 with $2200 in property taxes - Holmdel would be nice! Let me know when the prices drop down to this level - then I'll be back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey