Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 11:19 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,868,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal1 View Post
What's a waze?
Newark to Atlantic City during the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 01:11 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
What's a waze?
Waze is an I-phone and I-Pad GPS app that helps identify the location of law enforcement in addition to its other GPS functions. It is the best GPS app out there at the present time, and is vital for people who travel at safe extra-legal speeds. I use it on the Ipad Pro and it is indispensable.

Old 05-13-2017, 02:43 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbg007 View Post
She was not texting and no big SUV, she was driving Honda accord. She got a call from the daycare center that my son got injured that is why she was rushing to see my son.I know, this is not an excuse for rash driving but you know how mothers react. There was a truck moving with very slow speed with hazard lights on (must be something wrong with the truck). The road had only one lane for each side of traffic and my wife decided to cross the double yellow lane to pass the truck and there was no traffic coming from the far side. She was crossing the truck thats when cop clocked her. That is why she got 2 additional tickets in addition to the speeding ticket.
Just one problem with that statement. Double yellow lines are normally put at points where oncoming traffic can't be seen, such as hills, curves, intersections. So of course your wife didn't see traffic coming from the far side. It would be impossible for her to see it. That's why the double yellow lines are there.

As someone who has gotten a lot of tickets in my lifetime, I can tell you that cops normally issue a ticket only for the most serious offense, and give warnings for any other offenses. But this cop for some reason decided to pile the tickets on your wife. That is an indication your wife did something to seriously pissoff the cop. Three tickets is not a normal traffic stop. Two maybe, three no way. The careless driving ticket is not something the cop had to do, that is something he wanted to do. Probably because he thinks your wife is a careless driver.

Anyway your first step should be driving school for your wife. That will reduce the points by two. Then your wife can go to court. She will probably be offered a pleabargain agreement to drop the careless driving charges in exchange for a guilty plea to the other charges. Chances of her getting out of all of the charges are slim to none.

NJ Point Reduction

Old 05-13-2017, 03:03 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
10 points? so is her license suspended at this point???
Does NJ suspend licensees for excessive points? After reading this thread I looked online and the only thing I can find is that they impose a $150 surcharge plus $25 for each point over six. It says nothing about suspensions. It seems they only suspend a your DL if you don't pay the surcharge. It's sounds like they are more interested in collecting revenue then suspending the licenses of dangerous drivers. Here in Oregon, her license would be suspended for a minimum of 30 days for this.

New Jersey Fines

Old 05-13-2017, 03:39 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbg007 View Post
Hello all,

Hope you guys are doing well and title of this thread already told the state of my boat.

My wife got the following three tickets:

39:4–86 Improper passing in no passing zone (4 points)
39:4-97 Careless driving (2 points)
39:4–98 Exceeding maximum speed 15-29 mph over limit (4 points)

She has no points so far, got a couple of tickets before which were paid online.

Shall I call the court and tell them that she is not pleading guilty and when we go to the court and tell the prosecutor that we want to make a plea bargain deal and request him to eliminate/reduce the points in lieu of additional fines.

Any suggestions?
Anyone had recent real time experience on how to handle this situation?
Do I need an attorney?
How much $$$ are we talking about?
In case I need attorney, how much it will cost?

Sincerely,
pbg007
Divorce the wife ASAP. Or take away the car keys from her.

BTW how old is she? Is she normally an aggressive driver?

Old 05-13-2017, 07:24 PM

857 posts, read 834,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Waze is an I-phone and I-Pad GPS app that helps identify the location of law enforcement in addition to its other GPS functions. It is the best GPS app out there at the present time, and is vital for people who travel at safe extra-legal speeds. I use it on the Ipad Pro and it is indispensable.
So it's a device to help aid you when breaking the law.

Old 05-13-2017, 07:31 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,343,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Does NJ suspend licensees for excessive points? After reading this thread I looked online and the only thing I can find is that they impose a $150 surcharge plus $25 for each point over six. It says nothing about suspensions. It seems they only suspend a your DL if you don't pay the surcharge. It's sounds like they are more interested in collecting revenue then suspending the licenses of dangerous drivers. Here in Oregon, her license would be suspended for a minimum of 30 days for this.

New Jersey Fines

Hmm...I thought (but this is from probably over 15 years ago) that they used to suspend a driver at 6 points.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:32 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times
I haven't been involved with tickets much in recent decades but back when I was a younger driver NJ would suspend your driver license if you hit 12 points. After that you had to go over a year with no points.

Before the whole surcharge scheme started many younger people my age used to have about 40 or more points just from normal teenage driving.

You still had the chance to go into Trenton back then and talk your way down from a suspension or to cut it shorter.

These days it seems more of a money scheme.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:10 PM

32,939 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
So it's a device to help aid you when breaking the law.
Yes.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:51 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Yes.
While I use Waze occasionally, what I object to in regard to that app is that users are encouraged to report accidents, construction delays, and radar traps while they are driving. Using one's smartphone to report these conditions while driving means that those users are taking their eyes off of the road, are using one hand to send the information, and are paying much less attention to their driving than they should be--and as a result they themselves are hazards on the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey